Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011

johnny.widen
Default The technique in My Total Immersion Story

I am participating in the Total Immersion Video Contest with My Total Immersion Story and since this part of the forum has a lot of technique discussions I would appreciate some stroke analysis of what you see.

It was especially one flaw I saw, that I wasn't aware of before. Could you guess which one I mean?

-- Johnny
Old 11-03-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Not pointing your toes enough!
Old 11-03-2011

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.widen View Post
I am participating in the Total Immersion Video Contest with My Total Immersion Story and since this part of the forum has a lot of technique discussions I would appreciate some stroke analysis of what you see.

It was especially one flaw I saw, that I wasn't aware of before. Could you guess which one I mean?

-- Johnny
of course. it took only 8 seconds to see your grave error.
you are talking while swimming and you breathe from your mouth after 6 seconds in the clip. I have never seen anything like it! fix it
;)
Old 11-03-2011

swimust

I would have won that video competition easily! to my relief there is no video showing me before the TI course. Just showing that would have won me the contest.
Imagine me, starting to freestyle (very free) from the wall on the right side of the lane, then i do only one stroke and..... I find my left hand touching the.. rope on the left side of the lane! easy win of this contest for me.
Then i needed few laps just to warm up my suffering shoulders so I can keep my self "swimming" straight on my side of the lane and not bumping into the people on the other side of the lane... how lovely

I should have capture that on video...

Last edited by swimust : 11-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford2@verizon.net View Post
Not pointing your toes enough!
Right on spot! This is a thing I have never thought of or neither read about. I haven't yet had time to study our raw models Shinji and Terry how they do it.

If you relax, doesn't your foot end up in that position? You need to put in some strength to get it streamlined. Is the cost of the tense to get it streamlined worth the lesser drag you earn?
Old 11-03-2011

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
of course. it took only 8 seconds to see your grave error.
you are talking while swimming and you breathe from your mouth after 6 seconds in the clip. I have never seen anything like it! fix it
;)
:-)
That's a good one!

However, a thing that I admire the TI coaches for is that they live as they preach. So when I saw CoachFiona talked while swimming in the contest invitation video..., well what to think? That must be the right way to go! ;-)
Old 11-03-2011

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.widen View Post
:-)
That's a good one!

However, a thing that I admire the TI coaches for is that they live as they preach. So when I saw CoachFiona talked while swimming in the contest invitation video..., well what to think? That must be the right way to go! ;-)
yes, communication in the water is a good thing. just like the dolphins :)
Old 11-03-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default Pointing Toes

Yea, Shinji and Terry point their toes. Since I'm a runner and a biker we are notorious for having stiffer ankles than swimmers. There's stuff on the internet about this, and Louis Tharp talks about it somewhere in one of his blogs. He talks about practicing pointing your toes every day. I do it in the hot tub, when I do sit ups etc. and only recently have I been able to swim with toes pointed and not get cramps in my feet, it takes awhile.

Shinji has a kicking video, his toes are definitely pointed and yet relaxed at the same time, I'm sure this comes with practice and focus.

Think about how much drag your feet would create over a mile if they're pointed towards the bottom of the pool. It would be like a mini set of water brakes.

Anyway, you look GOOD in your video, I'm not quite there yet, I've been working on my feet, 2 beat kick, and keeping my non kicking leg still, relaxed, with toes pointed, a la Shinji, a lot easier said than done, just put the underwater camera directly behind you!. Most people seem to have extra movement in their non kicking legs, Terry included. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011

johnny.widen

Thanks finflappinflounder for pointing that out. I will immediately start dry land practicing of toe pointing.

Before the two-beat-kick, I kicked continuously and when I did that the toes were naturally pointing all the time.

By the way, some weeks ago we were racing 25m and to be as quick as possible I decided to kick continuously. Influenced by Sun Yang's finish in 1500m. ;-)
Since I haven't done that for almost a year I thought I'd better try it before the race. I actually had a very hard time to do it. It took me at least three short swims before I could do it. My mind and muscles were imprinted to kick two-beat!
Old 11-04-2011

johnny.widen

Another "flaw" I saw:
When studying the clips from the two mountain swim, the river and the lake, I surprisingly saw that my head position was higher than usual.

My first thought was that the cold water forced me back to my old habit with a higher head with the water line at the hairline, which I see most competetive swimmer has even nowadays. I then realized that I swam rather near the shore and the shallow water made me look ahead to not swim into any rocks. So it isn't actually a flaw. It is more a survival action. ;-)