FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011

CoachShinjiT
Default Terry and Shinji swim freestyle in sync

Hello everyone,

I posted our sync video on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmnJnmahLw
It was taken in Florida last December.

You can see many resemblances and some differences between Terry's swim and mine. He is taller than me by 4 inches(I think). Our wingspans are almost the same. I learned TI without coaches and workshops for 1.5 years, then I started TI Japan.

I hope this video helps you to study TI more.
Old 02-07-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachShinjiT View Post
He is taller than me by 4 inches(I think). Our wingspans are almost the same.
Very nice.
Interesting to note that while recovery arc is similar, Terry's exit is near his thigh, while yours is closer to the waist.
Old 02-08-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Thanks for the video, Shinji. Very helpful.

One thing I notice is that when breathing to the right, both you and Terry (i) spear to a shallower target with the left arm immediately before breathing, before (ii) spearing to a deeper target with the right arm immediately after breathing.

And vice-versa when you breath to the left.

Is this deliberate?
Old 02-10-2011

CoachShinjiT

Nice observation!

The answer is yes. To stabilize the head, the target gets shallower just before I breathe. To utilize the gravity more, the targets gets deeper just after I breathe.
Old 02-10-2011

CoachKris

Nice synchro ;) were you using tt while shooting?
Old 02-10-2011
Banned

Lawrence

mjm, I think you are referring to the holy grail of high-elbow catch. My understanding is that Terry doubts this is worth the effort it takes to achieve.
Old 02-10-2011

drmike

Shinji & Terry,

It seems that during arm extension underwater, Shinji’s hands rotate outwards at the wrist, away from the body axis by ~ 45 degrees; i.e., if a nail were driven between radius and ulna at the wrist, the hand would rotate in a plane normal to that axis. It’s clear in overhead views from other YouTube videos. Kris seems to show a similar habit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3UqG...eature=related. In contrast, Terry’s middle knuckle appears more aligned with the forearm, as in karate punches. Is the wrist rotation intentional, and if so, how does it help the stroke?

Mike M.
Old 02-10-2011
Banned

Lawrence

drmike, I noticed the same thing while watching Shinji's videos. I assumed the out-turned hand aided balance.

Last edited by Lawrence : 02-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2011

haschu33

I think I saw that with a number of worldclass swimmers. Often accompanied by a thumb that is forming quite an angle.

Could be quite simple: If I stretch my arm, like really stretch it out to make it really long, I will end pointing with the index finger, not with the middle finger: When I look at my hand then I have a straight line from my shoulder through my elbow ending at the end of my index finger. My wrist shows quite much that angle that you were referring to.
Old 02-10-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
Some believe that during the propulsion phase a shallow arm with the elbow bent and the hand under the body is a lower drag position that provides more efficient propulsion--similar to Ian Thorpe, shown below.

Terry and Shinji show a deeper hand position with less elbow bend. Would either of you care to comment? Thanks.
I am not either of them...but I've discussed this in several previous posts before. Ian Thorpe, and other world class swimmers, Phelps, many others whose names I don't know including the 12 year old who is setting records in your local pool....have a quite a bit of advantage as far as youth and flexibility. The angle at which one can have their shoulder and still achieve a 'high elbow catch" or "early vertical forearm" is going to vary depending on each individuals flexibility and personal limitations. The vast majority of Total Immersion students, coaches, and other followers are not able to create that amount of flexion and internal rotation of the arm with the shoulder fully abducted overhead.

What shinji & Terry demonstrate is what is optimal for them, and tends to be optimal for most adult swimmers & triathletes.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle