Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default Why Am I Sinking During Breath?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYU_MV5ADAA

Yeah, scissor kick is an issue, but still? My lead hand is patient on the breath. Am I losing that much momentum? Or is it just refining balance and a more efficient 2 beat kick? I think my hands are on nice tracks.

Thanks for any feedback, Rich
Old 01-13-2011

flppr

I think you're breathing a bit late and dropping your lead hand too soon. If you're still inhaling by the time your recovery hand is over your head, its too late. Continue to work on your balance.
Old 01-13-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default thanks

So my lead hand is not as patient as I thought? I may not be exhaling enough, before breath, so I'm taking longer to breath, therefor sinking a bit, thus my strokes probably aren't timing wise, symmetrical.
Old 01-14-2011

flppr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford2@verizon.net View Post
So my lead hand is not as patient as I thought? I may not be exhaling enough, before breath, so I'm taking longer to breath, therefor sinking a bit, thus my strokes probably aren't timing wise, symmetrical.
Yes, your lead hand could be more patient at this stage of developing your TI stroke. You can modify that for more speed later. Try waiting until your recovery hand just enters the water before beginning your catch, for now. Balance is your main issue, though.
Old 01-14-2011

mformatt

great video rich, what camera?
Old 01-14-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Once again, thanks for the thoughtful reply, I love working on balance, and I have the patience to do so, but what am I not getting "just right" in the balance drills, that isn't translating to whole stroke? Over rotation in the hips?

Thanks, Rich
Old 01-14-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mformatt View Post
great video rich, what camera?
Kodak sport, Joby Tripod.
Old 01-14-2011

DesertDog
Default Coach Suzanne's thread on breathing and balance

I had the same problem. Coach Suzanne's thread on breathing and balance really helped me:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1878

What's the band around your legs for?
Old 01-14-2011

daveblt

I watched the video quite a few times and the mechanics of your stroke look pretty good .I think it would take just some minor adjustments based on what flipper mentioned but it does not appear to me that you are breathing that late if at all . It appears you are starting to to roll as your hand enters .

Dave
Old 01-14-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Just a Finis ankle clamp, Shinji recommended in one of his posts, to help keep your legs together and keep your legs more streamlined, and behind your shoulders. Obviously I have a long way to go. It's not working yet, not everyone is Shinji, another focal point to correct. Not Shinji's fault, just my old bad habits. I'm so busy working on my arms and recovery.

I should not even be showing my whole stroke, I just get a little impatient. I'm still working on "spear, swing switches, ear hops, and BALANCE, I believe the most elusive of all swimming skills.

Anyway, here's what I like about my stroke: 1) Head has been corrected, and is looking down, (could the neck muscles be more relaxed, and other muscles be relaxed during whole stroke? Of course.) 2) My body is becoming more extended, (fishlike), even though, I'm not very flexible at age 51, and new to swimming, and 3) I'm applying my newly learned, swimming challenge, and the keen awareness that ensues, to other improvements and growth, that I can make in my life. 4) I have a long way to go, but I look forward to the future and learning something new each and every day, it's what sustains me.

Thanks for any feedback, Rich