Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2018

IngeA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
I ask, because I remember when I did Scubadiving years ago looking up from deeper down, all breast-strokers and even some freestylers looked very hurt and a shark may not be able to recognize them as: Does not belong in my prey scheme.
I think that's man thinking, not shark thinking. If the shark is hungry and the human fits the size, humans belong to the pray scheme. Why should a shark make any differences?

Best regards
Inge
Old 07-14-2018

WFEGb

Hello Inge,

Quote:
Why should a shark make any differences?
... because it such large "fishes" are not its prey sheme, when they're healthy and not hurt in someway.

Best regards,
Werner

PS: OK, we're in a TI-Forum, not in a survival-forum...
Old 07-14-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Hello Joel,

No matter how long ago. Bad and sad to read about such accidents. But a serious question of interest, not ironic in any way: Did the colleague swim BreastStroke, if he swam Freestyle, more TI-like or a powerful and splashy swimmer?

Werner
And did they have a pronounced deadspot at the front of their stroke?
Old 07-14-2018

sclim

Quote:
Hello Joel,

No matter how long ago. Bad and sad to read about such accidents. But a serious question of interest, not ironic in any way: Did the colleague swim BreastStroke, if he swam Freestyle, more TI-like or a powerful and splashy swimmer?

I ask, because I remember when I did Scubadiving years ago looking up from deeper down, all breast-strokers and even some freestylers looked very hurt and a shark may not be able to recognize them as: Does not belong in my prey scheme.

Best regards,
Werner
Werner: are you saying that TI swimming (with its emphasis on fish-like efficiency) minimizes the visual and acoustic signature of an injured fish or aquatic mammal, and is thus safer, theoretically, from shark attack? (I'm not holding you responsible for advising any safety feature for swimming in shark infested water, of course, just curious regarding knowing more about shark behaviour and other ways of looking at TI).

Last edited by sclim : 07-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2018
Mushroomfloat

i think it is more the wetsuit making you look like a seal
even moreso if you have fins on
Old 07-14-2018

WFEGb

Hello Sclim,

Quote:
Werner: are you saying that TI swimming (with its emphasis on fish-like efficiency) minimizes the visual and acoustic signature of an injured fish or aquatic mammal, and is thus safer, theoretically, from shark attack? (I'm not holding you responsible for advising any safety feature for swimming in shark infested water, of course, just curious regarding knowing more about shark behaviour and other ways of looking at TI).
Not being responsible gives me the opportunity to answer with a "clear", yes I think so (Inge would perhaps call it macho posturing :-) )... What I've been told about sharks, that they always attack the most hurt and/or most struggling person from a group first and again and again... But at least I don't know much about sharks.

As scubadivers we were interested to be near to sharks, while they only showed more desinterest as any other thing. But they were so leisurely and elegant, we had to admire... and be thankful for their desinterest. Have to say we always dived near reefs (so they couldn't circle around us, what they're doing before attacking... an other thing I've been told...) and the sharks seemed (thankfully) sluggish and fed up... and not too huge...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 07-14-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

I do remember that incident, it was about 5 years ago off the coast of San Clemente. Very sad and it does happen, but rare. Really sorry to hear that it was the group of swimmers you swim with Joel, that must have been terrifying - some PTSD to manage for the rest of their lives.

This area is a great white breeding ground that time of year the big sharks are nearer to shore. Seals are they main prey and as I've read mistaken identity, the big sharks are not necessarily aware of distress unless the prey is bleeding. GW's are ambush hunters, strike hard first then circle wide until prey bleeds out - seals have sharp teeth that can do damage to the shark. Areas to avoid swimming, kyaking, SUP'ng are where colonies of seals can be found, central and northern California, as well as breeding grounds in spring.

There are juvenile whites that swim near piers in Manhattan Beach, a popular ow swimming area and where the hold the annual Dwight Crum Pier to Pier 2 mile swim. Juvenile whites feed on healthy sea bass until mature enough to move on to the north.

There was a shark incident here a couple of years ago where a juvenile white bit a passing swimmer, but the shark was on the hook from an irresponsible fisherman on the pier intent on catching a shark which is illegal. The swimmer survived, lots of stitches. In this case it was not mistaken prey, but defense response from the juvenile shark.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 07-14-2018

Streak

Hi Stuart. It was this incident 10 years ago. Same spot that we swim every Friday at 7am.
The spot is not really significant. Like all accidents it's a question of the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/04...san-diego.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Yp_lgN4mQ
Old 07-14-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Joel,

You're right, 2008 off of Solana Beach, not San Onofre (GW hot spot). Here's the article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/apr/26/usa1

Right, the wrong place at the wrong time. Real sorry your swim buds had to go through that, losing a good friend while doing something they loved to do. But very happy most returned to continue swimming in that area.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 07-15-2018

WFEGb

Hello,

Quote:
"We think this is case of mistaken identity. Great white sharks look for silhouettes from the bottom of the ocean, and often attack seals."
... that unsettles me, because Seals can grow quite large (up to human size and more) and are very elegant and splashfree swimmers...

And such attacks (if mistaken or not) are terrible and horrible and ingrain much deeper in our brain, especially if we are witness as Joel is. And thinking about as Joel does, they're extremely seldom and driving a car or crossing a street in a city is much more dangerous than swimming, are not of much help sometimes...

In spite of everything let's enjoy every stroke in any (clean) water.

Best regards,
Werner