Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2017

Streak

Great progress Tom.
I switched pools this week. No pool clock. I may set up my TT to give the 1:05 beep.

Today I focused on kick timing - indexing on the catch rather than the spear.
Swinging wide leading with elbow as far as possible.
Forceful spear to try and emphasize forward momentum (produced the best results).
For fun, did a 100 using my very small and lightweight alpha fins for a 1:23 !!!!
Nice to feel what it's like to swim fast and to highlight how a decent propulsive kick can contribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Yp_lgN4mQ
Old 12-19-2017

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
For fun, did a 100 using my very small and lightweight alpha fins for a 1:23 !!!!
Yep, I swam with Zoomers for a while before finding TI. That speed can be quite addictive. But if you keep at it, I think you can beat those times without fins.

Have you figured out yet what you're doing next with USRPT?

I have been prioritizing ease and relaxation in my sets and it's working well--quite a different feel, with much less respiratory stress.
Old 12-19-2017

Streak

I will definitely stay with the 30x50 until I can do them with more ease.
It may make sense to decrease the pass time to less than 45 seconds to introduce some failure that will force me to be more analytical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Yp_lgN4mQ
Old 12-19-2017

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
Yep, I swam with Zoomers for a while before finding TI. That speed can be quite addictive. But if you keep at it, I think you can beat those times without fins.

Have you figured out yet what you're doing next with USRPT?

I have been prioritizing ease and relaxation in my sets and it's working well--quite a different feel, with much less respiratory stress.
Do I understand correctly that at one point you were able to do a particular USRPT set with a given time. Then, not too soon after that (or at least too soon for training fitness to account for the difference), just by prioritizing ease and relaxation in your focus, achieved the very same set and same or equivalent time but much less respiratory stress, i.e. significantly less perceived effort?
Old 12-19-2017

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
Do I understand correctly that at one point you were able to do a particular USRPT set with a given time. Then, not too soon after that (or at least too soon for training fitness to account for the difference), just by prioritizing ease and relaxation in your focus, achieved the very same set and same or equivalent time but much less respiratory stress, i.e. significantly less perceived effort?
Kind of, yes.

Back in May, I think, with a much longer prep for base aerobic work, I swam the USRPT set I'm working on now (30 x 50m at :45 pace) without any failures. I had been working up to it with an SPL of 18 or so, and higher SRs, got up to the mid-20s before that final breakthrough (about where I am now). Then on Coach Stuart's advice, I tried to swim the set at 16 SPL, thinking there was no way I would succeed, because I had been counting on the higher SR for the speed. But it turned out I started out at 16-17 SPL and gradually dropped SPL throughout the set, and finished the second half (roughly) at 15 SPL, occasionally 14, with much less respiratory stress. But I'm quite sure that the added fitness I had built up over multiple weeks of attempts was a big part of that success, too--it really is a challenging set for me. That's when I also swam a 7:45 500m swim.

I then didn't have any access to a pool until October, so lost all that fitness! But remembering that success, I have really been prioritizing feeling easy, smooth, and relaxed with my recent USRPT sets. My progression to adding repeats this time around has been about the same, but in my last set especially, I felt much less out of breath. And because I was consciously controlling SPL and SR, it felt like I was swimming slowly and smoothly, and never really got out of breath. My 2BK sure seems to be working better for me this time around, too, partly based on experiences described in my "Exploring Body Rotation" thread.

It's not really less effortful, though--it's just that most of my effort and attention is directed toward making sure I'm holding back on SR, getting a solid catch before letting the arm move back, and maintaining balance and streamline and core activation and all that stuff. But it doesn't leave me nearly as out of breath, or as mentally fearful.

Last edited by Tom Pamperin : 12-19-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2017

sclim

Wow! I can see how that unfolding of events surprised you. But I can see how you had done your homework though. Without a lot of prior practice and focus in getting laps in to a low and also specific targeted SPL, it likely wouldn't have been so straightforward as to say "ok, let's try 16 spl instead of 18 spl" and then actually do it as planned (let alone triggering the surprise as to how much less respiratory-intensive it turned out to be).
Old 12-19-2017

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
Without a lot of prior practice and focus in getting laps in to a low and also specific targeted SPL, it likely wouldn't have been so straightforward as to say "ok, let's try 16 spl instead of 18 spl" and then actually do it as planned (let alone triggering the surprise as to how much less respiratory-intensive it turned out to be).
Yes, I have done a lot of targeted SPL swimming, usually with short repeats of 25-100m--I can pretty much choose an SPL from 13-16 and swim repeats without deviating if I'm not aiming for a certain pace. I often pyramid up and down SPLs as well (50m at 13, 14, 15, 16, 15, 14, 13). I'm not sure I can explain why this is helpful, but it feels like a valuable exercise to me. So when the time came to bring this to a USRPT set, all I had to learn to do was to prioritize SPL control (with all that doing so entails) during a stressful set--i.e. sustaining an SPL at a higher pace than usual.
Old 12-19-2017

Tom Pamperin

Another USRPT session today--no weight lifting, so fairly well rested yet. It went well, with me hitting 13 SPL consistently in my 700m tune-up, with focal points of elbow lead balance, wide spear to aid rotation/rocking motion, and kick timed to catch.

Main set (30 x 50m at :45 pace on 1:05 interval):

26 repeats before first fail (+7 from yesterday, +5 from recent best)
30 repeats total (+3 from yesterday)--quit at 30 before 3rd failure because I ran out of pool time

Never really got extremely out of breath. Hit 16 SPL on every first length, 17-18 on the second length. After first and second fails, I dropped down to 15 SPL on first length, 16 on second--I'm really pushing myself to maintain SPL as I tire, even if it makes me miss my pace by a second. Doing so, I often swim a repeat or two that feels very easy late in the set--my goal is to learn to target that easy feeling and let speed be a result of ease rather than effort. It feels like I am making tiny steps toward that kind of swimming.

Tomorrow I'll swim but no USRPT set. I'm guessing I may hit 30 repeats with no failures by the end of the week. Which will mean USRPT 75m repeats next week. Maybe alternating with a faster 50m set (30 x 50m at :40 pace on 1:00) which I'll be starting off with very few repeats!

Last edited by Tom Pamperin : 12-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Tom, Joel,

30 x 50's are excellent, short enough to hone stroke every length and discover incremental improvements that are noticeable and measurable. It's a comfy place to be, but don't get too dependent on that set. Bump up to 20x100, 40x100, 60x100 on a 2:00 min (or whatever) swim interval, i.e. 1:30/100, 30 sec rest. Typically each New Year I do 100x100m and typically add 2 mins additional rest between 2000 (after each 20x100). Give it a try, swim for a distance outside of your comfort set and see how you do. Adjust the 100x100m pace so you can finish the 10k feeling great and accomplished.

Stuart
Old 12-21-2017

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post

Never really got extremely out of breath. Hit 16 SPL on every first length, 17-18 on the second length. After first and second fails, I dropped down to 15 SPL on first length, 16 on second--I'm really pushing myself to maintain SPL as I tire, even if it makes me miss my pace by a second. Doing so, I often swim a repeat or two that feels very easy late in the set--my goal is to learn to target that easy feeling and let speed be a result of ease rather than effort. It feels like I am making tiny steps toward that kind of swimming.
That sounds great Tom, I believe you're on the right track. Way to go!

Salvo