Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014

WFEGb

Hello machelett,

flying (and building) RC-helicopters, I know small autopilots which are able to help in far more difficult maneuvers than a swim stroke and are able to give back control to neutral in any moment. Well it's leaving the swim-threads-theme.

Quote:
With limited computational resources and the need to work on the least common denominator in terms of stroke mechanics, I think the manufacturers are doing a pretty good job. They're not lazy, stupid, or greedy; the required low power technology simply isn't available yet at a price anyone but the military would want to pay.
Give it 10 or 15 more years and the chips implanted into your forearms, powered by your movement, will provide all that data live on your contact lense display while you're swimming. :)
10-15years... If you become aged, you'll find not enough patience for so long. And when I read all the complaints about the Garmin's and Poolmate's software in processing the whatch's datas... That are problems which could be fixed easyly. (No confidence to the manufactures in that point.) But as above, it doesn't encourage the thread as it was meant...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 11-21-2014

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
flying (and building) RC-helicopters, I know small autopilots which are able to help in far more difficult maneuvers than a swim stroke and are able to give back control to neutral in any moment. Well it's leaving the swim-threads-theme.
Well, I have a couple of flight controllers in some drawers myself. Now let me ask you this: How long can you operate such a module with a 2032 battery?
Now compare that to the year and some months you'll get out of a Garmin Swim and you'll see where the difference lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
10-15years... If you become aged, you'll find not enough patience for so long. And when I read all the complaints about the Garmin's and Poolmate's software in processing the whatch's datas... That are problems which could be fixed easily. (No confidence to the manufactures in that point.) But as above, it doesn't encourage the thread as it was meant..
I agree with your criticism re: fixing bugs. But that is the world we live in and I have learned to come to terms with it.
The marketing people are stepping on developers' throats to get the latest gadget out in before Christmas, which leaves few resources for correcting existing problems. And the older the device, the less likely it becomes that there will be an update at all.
It is a direct result of our mentality as consumers. If we were willing to pay more for good quality, and punished those who do not deliver, maybe eventually that would result in a cultural change. I don't see that happening, though; even if personally I'm trying to withhold my money from companies that do not meet my standards.

All things considered, I love the Garmin Swim and think it's great value for the money.

Have a nice weekend! :)
Old 11-21-2014

WFEGb

Hello machelett,

think you're right at least (in my helis they'd need two of those batteries... for one/two weeks?)

Quote:
All things considered, I love the Garmin Swim and think it's great value for the money.

Have a nice weekend! :)
Can't get in love neither with my Garmin Swin nore with my Poolmate pro Life...

Nice Weekend for you too!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 11-21-2014

sclim

To add to the myriad of options that have been thrown into the ring here, the 4iiii company intends to have their new Viiiiva Mini available on December 10.

For those not familiar with 4iiii, in the running and biking world, last year they brought out an interesting product, Viiiiva that on one level is a plain old chest strap that is a Heart Rate Monitor sender in the common industry standard ANT+ radio wave protocol. But in addition to that, it also listens for ANT+ signals sent by footpods, bike cadence and speed meters, power meters, then re-transmits these same signals (as well as its own internally sourced HR signal) in the new Bluetooth Low Energy format, so the data can be viewed in real time by those with apps on their iPhones and other Bluetooth LE devices.

Well, the Viiiiva Mini does all the latterly described ANT+ to BLE functions, but it's worn on the wrist, not on the chest, and derives the HR from monitoring the pulse by optical means. It will display the HR in real time, and will send it by ANT+ and BLE signal, but I would imagine the signal would not be received over any significant distance underwater, unless your receiving device is worn on the same wrist, next to it. (However, I am not aware of any swimming device set up to receive HR data in ANT+ even if it was worn on the wrist adjacent to the HR signal sender).
Old 11-21-2014

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
To add to the myriad of options that have been thrown into the ring here, the 4iiii company intends to have their new Viiiiva Mini available on December 10.

For those not familiar with 4iiii, in the running and biking world, last year they brought out an interesting product, Viiiiva that on one level is a plain old chest strap that is a Heart Rate Monitor sender in the common industry standard ANT+ radio wave protocol. But in addition to that, it also listens for ANT+ signals sent by footpods, bike cadence and speed meters, power meters, then re-transmits these same signals (as well as its own internally sourced HR signal) in the new Bluetooth Low Energy format, so the data can be viewed in real time by those with apps on their iPhones and other Bluetooth LE devices.

Well, the Viiiiva Mini does all the latterly described ANT+ to BLE functions, but it's worn on the wrist, not on the chest, and derives the HR from monitoring the pulse by optical means. It will display the HR in real time, and will send it by ANT+ and BLE signal, but I would imagine the signal would not be received over any significant distance underwater, unless your receiving device is worn on the same wrist, next to it. (However, I am not aware of any swimming device set up to receive HR data in ANT+ even if it was worn on the wrist adjacent to the HR signal sender).
I own the Viiiiva heart rate belt and that's the one I'm currently using with my 310XT. Don't ask me why, I don't use any of the advanced features. It just ended up being this way. I guess I'm a sucker for tech gadgets. :)

The Viiiiva mini sounds very interesting. But I'm not sure I'm getting it. Does "Leave your phone at home and save .fit files." mean that the device it autonomous, i.e., it has memory of its own and stores the data for later download? Or does it merely mean you don't need a Bluetooth phone but you can use your ANT+ compatible device to receive the data during the workout, which would render it at useful or useless as the MIO Link?
It seems 4iiii deliberately kept the language ambiguous.
Old 11-21-2014

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
I own the Viiiiva heart rate belt and that's the one I'm currently using with my 310XT. Don't ask me why, I don't use any of the advanced features. It just ended up being this way. I guess I'm a sucker for tech gadgets. :)

The Viiiiva mini sounds very interesting. But I'm not sure I'm getting it. Does "Leave your phone at home and save .fit files." mean that the device it autonomous, i.e., it has memory of its own and stores the data for later download? Or does it merely mean you don't need a Bluetooth phone but you can use your ANT+ compatible device to receive the data during the workout, which would render it at useful or useless as the MIO Link?
It seems 4iiii deliberately kept the language ambiguous.
Haha, low tech like me -- I also use my Viiiiva as a plain vanilla HRM strap (because it's way more comfortable than my old Garmin hard strap), having no particular need for BLE driven apps -- I don't have an iPhone/Pod/Pad etc. Having said that, I'm a little impatient for them to get off their ass and build a functionality for the accelerometer that is built in to the device (they have not advertised this, but this is a built in hardware ace up their sleeve possibly for the future.) I understand their new software upgrade, also unpromoted, takes low power ANT+ signals and boosts them, also in ANT+ but at higher strength, to ensure better ANT+ reception for their Sportiiiis heads up display. I haven't bothered to upgrade yet (I've not had problems with my Sportiiiis).

But the "leave your phone at home and save .fit files" means exactly that. It would store workout information and download to your app or computer later, like a Garmin 60/310XT/910XT etc.

4iiii has a pretty good track record of keeping to its deadlines, which in this case is December 10, or at least close. My guess is that if there is any panic at the company, they would leave out the immediate implementation of downloadable stored workout data, to be upgraded later on by software upgrades as they perfect the implementation. Meanwhile, the breathless consumer gets an actual piece of hardware to unwrap under the tree lol.

The downloaded .fit file from the Viiiiva Mini would only contain heart rate data, mind you, as far as I can see. There is no way, as far as I am aware, currently to combine them in a single record with other physiological parameters of downloaded activity data.
Old 11-21-2014

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
The downloaded .fit file from the Viiiiva Mini would only contain heart rate data, mind you, as far as I can see. There is no way, as far as I am aware, currently to combine them in a single record with other physiological parameters of downloaded activity data.
As long as it stores the heart rate and corresponding time stamps, I'm fine with it. I can export that as XML and use XSLT to merge two data files if all else fails. It would probably take me a couple or three hours to write the transformation but what the heck...

I'll wait until I have more information on the device and maybe DC Rainmaker will provide one of his extensive reviews.

For now, thank you for making me aware of the device! Sounds like it may well be another addition to the spot under the Christmas tree. :)
Old 11-22-2014

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
For now, thank you for making me aware of the device! Sounds like it may well be another addition to the spot under the Christmas tree. :)
Those tech companies...they can see us coming a mile away!!
Old 11-22-2014

machelett

My Garmin Forerunner 920XT arrived today. Much lighter and thinner than my 310XT.

Looking forward to testing it when running in the afternoon and in the pool in the evening. :)

Old 11-22-2014

sclim

@machelett: like I said, they saw you coming a mile away lol.

PS I just bought a Wahoo Kick'r Bike trainer. My $10 garage sale Nagaoka Fan Trainer was making a loud rattling noise, and I was getting embarrassed at the bike spin class. It turned out that the fan part axle had slipped sideways a bit and the edge of the fan wheel was rubbing against the frame. Today, tightened up the Allen hex screw holding the axle and it's fixed. But, never mind, I have now rationalised the purchase of new tech gear, feels so good, haha.

Last edited by sclim : 11-22-2014 at 11:27 PM.