Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2014

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
BTW you probably know this but the reason the Garmins don't connect in water is because of the frequency they use. The Poolmate Pro uses a different frequency that works in water and it has with a heart monitor (belt). Just to throw that in your mix. It can't deliver on any other of your requirements though, bit it's cheap. You could have one on each wrist! :D
I'm aware of the general problem. That's why the solution would include the MIO LINK, which is worn around the wrist. Put right next to the Garmin on the same wrist, there simply isn't enough water between the two to attenuate the signal so that the Garmin cannot pick it up.

I've tried heart rate belts for swimming and they don't stay in place if I'm not wearing some kind of suit that covers the upper body. And then with a belt, there indeed the problem you mentioned comes up because a couple of feet of water between the transmitter and the receiver will indeed kill the signal.
I think Wahoo even has a belt that works independent of any device but still the slipping-off-the-chest problem remains.

And about the Poolmate: I don't like the design. ;)
I had the original one when there was nothing else around and was happy to replace it with, first, the Swimsense and finally the Garmin Swim.