Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013

scr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
This is a very good reference for me to avoid shoulder injury again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Here's a video of Coach Mandy that may help too: Swing vs Lift, Range of Motion
Her arm movement is similar to mine except my hands are shoulder width apart. I use it for anchor and recovery in freestyle and butterfly.

John
Old 06-13-2013

Rajan

I am curious to know, only their arms and shoulders are appearing, are not they stacked ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
The swimmers in that photo are two of my students, now asst coaches/mentees, and soon to be certified TI Coaches. They both have beautiful strokes, graceful long distance swimmers.

Comparing drill/rehearsal to whole stroke are two very different things and context. In drill, we are training to swing elbow pivoting from rotator, rather than lift elbow causing impingement. In swing skate in pool, elbow remains at surface so body doesn't sink. In whole stroke with forward momentum of recovery arm allows us to swing elbow high and wide and drop in a same forward position as the swing skate rehearsal.

There is another dryland (and pool) rehearsal swing progression that includes the swinging elbow adding in the elbow ellipses or soft curve, swinging forward and back along same track. We often use visual drawing soft curve on whiteboard with elbow. I often call this one "wax on, wax off" ~Karate Kid

Here's a video of Coach Mandy that may help too: Swing vs Lift, Range of Motion

Happy Swimming and Swinging Elbows!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSwim
Old 06-13-2013

swimust

Quote:
wow! That's how the Shinji heavens look like and in English!
Can you imagine such videos in one DVD?.. "damn".. :)

Who should I pay for this clip? Sherry and her ability to ask ;) or maybe the coach himself?...
this is a wet dream for someone in my situation ;)

"all I needed to know about the Shinji recovery in one clip with demos". very very cool

P.S. - I am doing most of the stuff, but I am sure I will find at least a thing or two to improve.

Last edited by swimust : 06-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
wow! That's how the Shinji heavens look like and in English!
Can you imagine such videos in one DVD?.. "damn".. :)

Who should I pay for this clip? Sherry and her ability to ask ;) or maybe the coach himself?...
this is a wet dream for someone in my situation ;)

"all I needed to know about the Shinji recovery in one clip with demos". very very cool

P.S. - I am doing most of the stuff, but I am sure I will find at least a thing or two to improve.
ok, my private notes about my own swim at present:
1) Take good care of not shrugging the shoulder and only swing the arm, especially on my left arm which is wrong like most newbies left arm. I am ok with that on the right arm.
2) Shoulder blade "mystery" solved. Its done from the side, not from above. super cool!
3) 90* on spearing and entry. not focused on that until now. might be a new insight or, I was just doing it anyway, will see in the pool.

great stuff. generally speaking I had no pain or stress in recovery until now so I guess I was ok. Even my left arm cross-over in recovery was not bothering me at all.
Its great seeing it in video in English.

Last edited by swimust : 06-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
I am curious to know, only their arms and shoulders are appearing, are not they stacked ?
I am quite sure that if they are skilled TI swimmers, that their shoulders are not stacked on top of each other, not even close to being in a line perpendicular to the surface of the water.

We teach body angle in the water to be somewhere between 30-40 degrees during most swimming and definitely not more than 45 deg. If possible it should be minimized, especially during fast swimming where the less your body angle is the faster you can rotate from side to side during fast tempos.

Since this is the range of body angle that we swim in, the shoulders cannot be stacked, no matter what the picture might say to your perception of what is happening.
Old 06-13-2013

bx

Quote:
Now that is the kind of detail and clarity I like!

Thank you!
Old 06-13-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Now that is the kind of detail and clarity I like!

Thank you!
your left arm is on fire ;)
Old 06-13-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Hi Rajan, The still was taken at the end of a 1000m sync swim, a challenge I give often to my students. Tammy does drift back to a slight stacked position and requires focals to flatten out a bit -- drag knuckles and drop into mail slot cures this. Tom is at a very good rotation for his body type, but struggles a bit with elbow dropping at full extension. Floating elbow out (toward pool sides) fixes, but requires frequent focus.

I just uploaded the actual video the still was taken from: 1000m Sync Swim. Notice relaxed recovery, head spine aligned, no tension in neck, clean/quiet entry, patience up front - they could go on like this for another hour or more if they really wanted to.

If you have another swimmer to sync swim with, give it a try Each swimmer should alternate leading tempo every 200 or so, i.e. one leads and the other swimmer syncs, and vice-versa. It's quite a challenge, requires deep focus - and is FUNNN!

Happy Sync Swimming!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 06-13-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2013

jenson1a
Default Many Thanks

I think that all the TI coaches that take the time and trouble to give so freely to our questions and problems deserve a big thank you. The coaches that take the time to show pictures, post articles, and especially create videos, deserve a lot of praise. They get no monetary reward and it is encouraging that they are so deeply interested in the actual teaching of TI, whether compensated or not.

Once again, thanks to all of those coaches out there.

Sherry
Old 06-13-2013

rcrawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post

Once again, thanks to all of those coaches out there.
YES! Thank you!