Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011

DD_l_enclume
Default Video : looking for advice

Hello fellow swimmers,

Since it's the winter season here, and there's 5 months before the next OW race,
it's the perfect time to work on the stroke.

I got a chance to get shot today:
http://vimeo.com/32041415

Since there has been a lot of discussion lately on the catch, I've tried to work on it.
Especially Andy's easy catch, and others.
But it doesn't look like it feels (Although it felt better because I felt my back rather that my shoulders working)
It looks rather weird, but I can't pinpoint it, so I'm asking for your fresh views (I've spent the previous 2 hours on each single frame ...)
My feeling is that something is wrong right at the front of the stroke.

As you can see from the above (unfortunately the gopro HD is blind underwater), I'm swimming
at ~24spl/1.10 (roughy, no TT). Which makes a 100m at ~2.10. Which should not worry Phelps too much
Old 11-13-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_l_enclume View Post
I got a chance to get shot today:
http://vimeo.com/32041415

Since there has been a lot of discussion lately on the catch, I've tried to work on it. <snip> It looks rather weird, but I can't pinpoint it, so I'm asking for your fresh views.
Stroke looks good overall. I suggest trying to minimize entry splash by piercing the water as cleanly as possible.

Then, as you stretch for the catch, keep your fingers pointed downwards. It appears that your right palm is nearly vertical - not horizontal - which will lessen your 'grip' on the water.
Old 11-13-2011

westyswoods
Default Advice For What Its Worth

The previous comment about less splash is very important.

A couple of points I see in the video.

You are entering the water way too flat, this is the cause of your splash. View carefully how your right arm and hand are after they spear. Right hand, palm is vertical which puts your elbow facing more to the bottom of the pool. To get a good catch all of this has to shift and get to proper position. Elbow above wrist, hand below wrist and relaxed.

Also look a what you hands do after spear there are times when I see the brakes being put on.

Suggestion is to do multiple swing switches with hand not leaving the water.
Slow down and spear deeper.

Thanks for the video as we all learn from others. There are no free lunches as the journey needs to nourish us.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 11-14-2011

splashingpat
Default I glad others could comment...I was to distracted

with the others in it!
not enough time with you on it for me!
thanks for sharing though!
Old 11-14-2011

DD_l_enclume

Thanks for your advices.
I'll work on my entry/spear to fix these issues.
Old 11-14-2011

andyinnorway

Hi,

the length at 3,04 looked more relaxed than the others, and the recovery was more symettrical, were you doing something different?

I think you are starting the pull before you have fully prepared the catch.

Try some superman glides with left catch, arm out, right catch, arm out, left catch, arm out right catch, arm out. bit like slow motion windscreen wipers.

for a more splash free hand entry, I imagine putting on a wooly sweater with really long arms (like your aunty used to knit you when you were young), your spear is almost coming outside in, whereas you may find more comfort doing it the other way (i.e. heading towards 11 and 1 oclock), very clearly demonstrated on shinji CGI. This may help you get your SPL down a little too.

To reach further think of something dramatic (e.g. you are locked in a cowboy prison cell and the key is on the floor 1.5m in front of you, put your hand through the bars and try to reach it, you should actually feel a stretch in your back muscles) Count your strokes. This is how I got down to nearly Sun Yang minimum SPL but I would only use it as a training set now as the effort required to stretch my back muscles etc is quite considerable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JukMa6-V1pE
Old 11-14-2011

Scotty
Default Vertical palm

In reference to this video, Borate and Westywoods identify the palm being vertical as a deficiency of the stroke.

If the fingers are facing downward at entry wouldn't the palm always be vertical to the waterline? And if the hand is facing toward the back of the pool at the catch, it would also be vertical to the waterline.

Please let me know what I am missing in this critique.

Scotty
Old 11-14-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
In reference to this video, Borate and Westywoods identify the palm being vertical as a deficiency of the stroke.

If the fingers are facing downward at entry wouldn't the palm always be vertical to the waterline?
What was being observed is a slicing hand at entry, prior to the catch, instead of the recommended palm facing down, hand/fingers relaxed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palm.JPG (9.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-15-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

This frame was so startling to me that I found it nearly impossible to comment on your video. Please tell me what's happening in the other lane??? (pic attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 1.39.33 AM.jpg (15.1 KB, 57 views)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-15-2011

DD_l_enclume

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
This frame was so startling to me that I found it nearly impossible to comment on your video. Please tell me what's happening in the other lane??? (pic attached)

So you're not practicing upside down breaststroke ? That's very popular here !!
:-))

I too have trouble focusing on my lane. Somehow it looks like the pool have 2 bottoms.