Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011

richard_13
Default My first video

Hello TI afficionados,

Here is my first video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmEHJfprPA after 7 month of TI practice. Before the TI revelation, I was not able to swim more than 50 meters without feeling a near death experience. Thanks to the amazing TI community I can now swim 500 meters or more, non stop, without any fatigue :-)

I know my stroke needs improvements ( recovery, head position... ). I'd be happy to have your point of view and your advices. This video was shot while I was warming up, at a slow pace, without any particular focal point.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Richard

Last edited by richard_13 : 02-15-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2011

cynthcor

I'm too new to help you with the finer points of tuning your stroke, but I do want to say thank you for being brave enough to film and post a video. It's always wonderful to be able to see and compare folks at different stages of learning. I'm sure there are many more things right about your stroke than there are wrong.
Old 02-14-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthcor View Post
I'm too new to help you with the finer points of tuning your stroke, but I do want to say thank you for being brave enough to film and post a video. It's always wonderful to be able to see and compare folks at different stages of learning. I'm sure there are many more things right about your stroke than there are wrong.
I was skimming your reply and read it like this:
Quote:

I'm sure there are many more things WRONG about your stroke...
LOL.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Thanks for posting, that's a nice stroke...I like how well balanced you are coming off the wall and you hold that balance well through your stroke.

Some suggestions and observations:

Try to start each length with at least 2-3 strokes prior to breathing, or at least a single stroke. Those first few strokes off the balanced superman glide position are extremely valuable for practicing whatever your focus is without getting disrupted by a breath.

Observe the up and down movement of the back of your shoulder blades through the stroke cycle...not the rotational component...but just bobbing up and down in the water.

My suspicion is that your stroke starts with a palm facing down towards the bottom and slips rearward. This creates a force that pushes your body up in the water, cheating you of the energy that could be used to move forward. I'm not certain without an underwater view.

But I think that modifying the position and shape of your hand and arm underwater will remove this up and down motion and convert it to forward motion...with no additional effort.

Finally...as you continue to improve, work on moving your mail slot entry incrementally forward while still keeping being able to hit your spearing target. Right now, it's a "textbook" TI mailslot entry near the google line or forehead...nudge it forward just a hair and see how that feels.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2011

cynthcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post

My suspicion is that your stroke starts with a palm facing down towards the bottom and slips rearward. This creates a force that pushes your body up in the water, cheating you of the energy that could be used to move forward. I'm not certain without an underwater view.
CoachSuzanne - I suspect I may be doing this too. Are you suggesting that he is not 'swimming downhill' as some say - forearm more flat than it should be?
Old 02-14-2011

cynthcor

Quote:
I was skimming your reply and read it like this:

LOL.
Well that would have been warm and fuzzy wouldn't it : )
Old 02-14-2011

richard_13

Quote:
Thanks for posting, that's a nice stroke...I like how well balanced you are coming off the wall and you hold that balance well through your stroke.

Some suggestions and observations:

Try to start each length with at least 2-3 strokes prior to breathing, or at least a single stroke. Those first few strokes off the balanced superman glide position are extremely valuable for practicing whatever your focus is without getting disrupted by a breath.

Observe the up and down movement of the back of your shoulder blades through the stroke cycle...not the rotational component...but just bobbing up and down in the water.

But I think that modifying the position and shape of your hand and arm underwater will remove this up and down motion and convert it to forward motion...with no additional effort.

Finally...as you continue to improve, work on moving your mail slot entry incrementally forward while still keeping being able to hit your spearing target. Right now, it's a "textbook" TI mailslot entry near the google line or forehead...nudge it forward just a hair and see how that feels.
CoachSuzanne, thank you for your accurate observations. Your suggestion to change the way I pull is very interesting and I hope it will solve my up and down movement.

My hand entry, too near from the head is something I 'm trying to improve for several months, with little success at the moment.

Again, thank you for your feedback.
Old 02-15-2011

richard_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthcor View Post
I'm also too new to give advice but I have learned so much by watching videos from other TI swimmers. Posting a video is my way to give back to that great community.
Old 02-15-2011

Fisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_13 View Post
I'm also too new to give advice but I have learned so much by watching videos from other TI swimmers. Posting a video is my way to give back to that great community.
Hi Richard !

Thank you for sharing your video. Have you attended a TI course or did train on your own, using the resources (book/DVD) available ? I believe you're living in France as I do. I am trying to learn to swim the TI way and I am using the resources available (books and DVD). However, I am not progressing as fast as I want and, as I don't see myself doing the drills, I have no idea whether I am drilling 100% correct.

It feels right when I do the drills, but I can't sustain that feeling when I am swimming. So if I could have your experience, it would be great !

Merci !
Old 02-15-2011

richard_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch View Post
Hi Richard !

Thank you for sharing your video. Have you attended a TI course or did train on your own, using the resources (book/DVD) available ? I believe you're living in France as I do. I am trying to learn to swim the TI way and I am using the resources available (books and DVD). However, I am not progressing as fast as I want and, as I don't see myself doing the drills, I have no idea whether I am drilling 100% correct.

It feels right when I do the drills, but I can't sustain that feeling when I am swimming. So if I could have your experience, it would be great !

Merci !
I train on my own, using the free resources. Making video is the only way to have feedback when you don't have a TI coach. I made several videos during the past months and now, I tell to myself I should have post earlier on the forum.