Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011

cynthcor
Default Question for Flppr

Flppr way back when you started this thread you were talking about 'finding time to breathe'. What did that feel like? What did you notice that you might have been doing different from before? Were there several little things or was it one big thing that made the difference?

I ask this because I think I might have had an 'ah hah' moment this morning - I'll know if I can reproduce it - but I want to know what it was that you felt, did, etc.

Thanks

Cyndi
Old 02-01-2011

flppr

Hi Cyndi,

At that time I was new to TI, and I was using a whole-stroke approach, doing very little if any drills, trying to figure things out as I swam.

In my struggle to keep my head above water long enough to take an adequate breath, I figured out a "trick" that by keeping my lead arm wider, it gave me more support/balance in recovery and more time to take a breath before my head submerged. It was a big thing for me at the time, but I now know that I was using my arm as a crutch, that good balance comes from the core, not the arms or legs. It took me about another year to figure that one out.

I think swimming is like any other acquired skill. You make big gains initially, and over time the gains are smaller and more refined, but just as valuable as the big ones.

I want to know about your ah ha moment. I love it when those happen! If I recall correctly, you received some positive feedback from a lifeguard recently, and you were planning a trip to Fla for TI training with an instructor?
Old 02-01-2011

cynthcor

Thanks for the insight. I agree with you that drilling is incredibly important.

I am on the road this week and found myself in the pool at the Hilton yesterday morning. Not what you would call a big pool, but larger than a lot of them. I made my mind up that I wouldn't sweat it - I'd make the most of the size and drill. First of all, and very unexpectedly, it was very disconcerting when I looked down and realized 'there is not black line'. Being a new swimmer I thought this would just not be a problem in open water - wrong. I guess I have been deriving some strange comfort from the line without realizing it. So after I composed myself I did a lot of balance and what I call meditative work. At some point going to whole stroke in a very slow methodical manner and I realized that I felt tall. Now for my short fat little 5'2" body this is not something that just happens every day. I can only describe it by saying I felt from the tip of finger on one hand to the end of my toes on the opposite foot. My lats were extended, but I wasn't over stretching with my shoulders and I realized I was rolling almost effortlessly. My body felt balanced and when I rolled to take a breath I was not lifting and I was not grabbing/gasping for air, I was patiently taking my breath and returning to the same position I had started in.

I was able to repeat it and at some point decided that I would do one more good one and stop so that I would leave and be able to remember exactly how it felt so that I could dissect it. Admittedly the pool was much smaller than my gym and I'm not sure I would not have fallen out of form in a longer pool, but for that moment in time, it seemed to all be working. As I tried to rectify it in my mind after, I compared the feeling from yesterday to previous swims and I realize that I was much less 'flat' yesterday. I see the difference between the spear and extend that I did yesterday and more of an overhead flat spearing feeling. Coincidentally, or maybe not, I had been doing a lot of reading/searching on the forums/blogs about the actual mechanics of the arm extension and catch. I suspect that I was entering at an okay angle but was not extending the arm with and through my body, thus I really was trying to balance on my arm and was rushing because I was sinking.

So I am headed to Boca next week and can't wait to meet with Gary so he can chew me up and spit me out anew.

Oh and Terry if you read this - I have to agree with the comments you made in your post previously about women being more apt to invite and share with others. I was professing the joys of TI to a conference room full of men yesterday and pulled up the infamous Shinji (sp) TI video on YouTube to show them - which of course was then followed by one of your videos and then part one of the conference that you have posted.

Cyndi
Old 02-12-2011

flppr
Default Sliding down "Boken's Slope"

Tonight, I experimented with spearing directly to catch position (steep and deep), and the sensation was amazing. Talk about swimming downhill! My whole body felt like Boken's spatula! I just wish I could maintain this position and sensation at higher speeds. Thus far, I lose it with any pace faster than 1.30. Here's a short video at 1.40: http://vimeo.com/19856644

How was Boca, Cyndi?

Last edited by flppr : 02-12-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2011

wahoo

good day to all! I"m just starting to discover total immersion what is a 4:30 position ?
Old 02-13-2011

flppr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
good day to all! I"m just starting to discover total immersion what is a 4:30 position ?
Welcome, wahoo. 4:30 position refers to the position of your lead arm being at 4:30 on a clock.
Old 02-13-2011

efdoucette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flppr View Post
Welcome, wahoo. 4:30 position refers to the position of your lead arm being at 4:30 on a clock.
And the reference point is 3:00 at horizon with 12:00 straight up.
Old 02-13-2011

RadSwim

Quote:
Tonight, I experimented with spearing directly to catch position (steep and deep), and the sensation was amazing. Talk about swimming downhill! My whole body felt like Boken's spatula! I just wish I could maintain this position and sensation at higher speeds. Thus far, I lose it with any pace faster than 1.30. Here's a short video at 1.40: http://vimeo.com/19856644
Experimenting with technique variations is fun and is often enlightening. The deeper spearing position feels "downhill" for a good reason -- it is pulling your front end deep. In your video, watch how your head submerges a few inches below the surface. You have to then "reach" for the surface to breathe. While I can't tell from the front view of this clip, I suspect that you drop your hips and lift your head to get to air.

It does not look like a technique that you should keep.

Good luck,
RadSwim

Last edited by RadSwim : 02-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2011

flppr

Thanks for your advice, RadSwim. I'm going to keep searching for the y-coordinate that keeps me horizontal but also allows me to roll easily to air.
p.s. You're right, when I turn to breathe you can see my jammers, which means my hips dropped.

Last edited by flppr : 02-13-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2011

cynthcor
Default Boca was fantastic

Quote:

How was Boca, Cyndi?
Hey Flippr.

Boca was fantastic. Thanks for asking.

Gary is really great. I had been sitting in meetings for two days straight and was as wound up as I could possibly be when Wednesday night finally came. We used an LA Fitness and while it was a little busy, Gary took it in stride and I definitely got my monies worth.

The biggest thing I came away from the lesson with was that I should trust my intuition and 'feel'. He validated what I thought I was sensing, that I was spearing too low and that was causing me to have to lift to breathe when I rolled. Gary also helped me understand that feeling long should be through the wrists versus the tips of my fingers. When I visualize it through my fingers, I hold my hands rigidly which brings on its own little set of problems.

Since returning, I have been to the pool every day for at least an hour. I have gone from 24 to 25 strokes per 25 yard length to 18 to 19 strokes per 25 yard length. As importantly I've really learned where to spear with both my right and left hands when I am taking a breath and I can breathe comfortably without lifting. Going very slow and deliberately, I am averaging 1'17" for the 50 yards. I am not concerned about speed, it will come I believe with practice, but before Boca it was taking me 1'30 for the same length. I did 42 laps today for the 3rd day in a row, this time after riding my bike 5 miles to the gym. Laps 41 and 42 were a test to see just how tired/relaxed I was and could I still maintain my form. To my surprise and delight I hit the 1'17" both times.

I'm absolutely going to see Gary again on my next trip. I'm also seriously starting to consider what it would take to become a TI coach myself. There is a serious need for adult swim coaches in this area. I had 2 people come up to me at the end of my swim today and ask where I learned to swim like that. They were amazed when I told them I'd only been swimming since December and that I learned it off of a DVD and one swim lesson. There is an unserviced group of adults in the 40 - 60 age group that want to swim for exercise but have no idea where to even start. I see them every time I go to the pool thrashing 1 or two lengths and then giving up really believing that they're just too old and too out of shape to ever be able to really swim. Goodness knows I can be their poster child. If I can learn using TI, anyone can learn.

Cyndi