Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011

bx

(Bit off-topic), but in reference to Louis's (Lou's?) earlier reply, everyone should check out his blog, which is equal parts brilliant and hilarious...
Old 01-06-2011

madvet

Could you tell us if you have done any work yet with the TI drills or techniques?
Old 01-06-2011

cynthcor

Matt what length pool are you swimming in your video?
Old 01-06-2011

mformatt

Madvet,
Most of my TI 'training' before writing on this forum involved simply trying to do in the pool what I remembered from TI videos I found online. I didn't really do any drills, but it helped lengthen my body, and slow my kick, and focus on getting more distance from each. It also allowed me to go from 100m to 1000m. Which really got me motivated. I felt good in the pool, but needed a video to realise how inefficient I was.

Cynthcor,
I always swim a 50m pool

Lawrence,
Yep, when I think 'swim tall' I always try to reach far above the water and pull as much water back as possible. I've short-circuited a bit lately with all the new information, I used to enter a lot closer to the head, and THEN reach forward to the catch position, when I first heard 'swim downhill' I tried to position my body in a -10 degree position in the water, and spear my leading arm down -10 degrees into the water, these were really effortless laps and the first time I did it, I finished 1000m with ease. There's a lot of technique stuff in my head at the moment, i'm getting a bit confused. Sometimes I kick, sometimes I don't, sometimes I spear into the water closer to the head, sometimes I reach. It's a bit of a mess

mjm,
Thanks man. Using the screw analogy is a cool way to think of a more efficient way of using my body. I don't quite know how to use my core or hips to produce forward movement. To tell you the truth, I feel like I am holding on to a ladder, beneath the water, and once reaching for the further rung, I hold on to that rung, and use my muscle (it should be my contracting lat muscle, but FEELS like my shoulder) to pull myself forward for four strokes, before getting breath. To me it feels like: rung, rung, rung, rung (breathe) repeat. Like I am in a very shallow pool. Reach for rung, pull hard, glide, swap arms, it feels very much like an arm movement. I went Kayaking recently, and my instructor said the same thing, I was using my arms.

aksenov,
That's a beautiful video, watching these videos has really motived me to go swimming, I try to imprint these videos as much as possible, and before recording the video, I thought I wasn't far off :) Almost looks like he is being pulled along with a rope.

Louis Tharp,
Thanks, tried the 2 second anchor and pull drill yesterday. I think I have to continue to practice this, as it feels unbalanced. I still don't quite understand what should be my body angle on each side should it be flat or at a 45 degree - \ or /. I keep thinking
1) spear into the water near my head and extend to a position a foot below the water at full extension
2) wait here for two seconds, as I do this prepare my other arm slowly near my head for the next spear
3) like climbing a ladder, pull the imaginary rung down to my thigh, while spearing my other arm through the water near my head, and extending a foot below the water and full extension

While doing this (following a skate drill) I want to open my body to the side of the pool.

Last edited by mformatt : 01-06-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2011

mformatt

back in the pool motivated by flipprs videos, and some of flipprs stats on strokes per length. i tried a two second long anchor. after the initial kick off my swim pace gets so slow my legs start to sink and when I go to breathe, i swallow water.. i tried maybe 200m of this, and just started to get frustrated.

when I pull with my arm, I don't get the same distance per stroke that some other more experienced guys get, I have trouble clearing my head, my legs sink. It feels wrong and not intuitive, my legs just plain sink and I don't feel balanced at all.

I want to feel balanced like a long vessel, that sits perfectly balanced following any kind of propulsion, waiting for the next stroke. Rather it feels like the vessel is sinking, especially toward the rear, and each stroke doesn't push me far forward.

Also, the experience doesn't feel like swimming at all, if I was doing a good efficient glide, I would feel better. I am comparing the experience to the great feeling of getting plenty of air (perhaps from a small wake), high legs, and a strong feeling of powering through the water. This stroke will get me to the end of the pool in 40-45 seconds, TI style it's 1m 10s

I appreciate an efficient stroke, but I can't find that balance, and I just get a feeling of a broken leaking unbalanced vessel when I swim slow. That propulsion arm doesn't do much, or I am very unstreamlined.

Swimming fast feels great and gets me 100m in 1m 40s but I run out of steam by 100m (and front shoulder muscle fatigue)

Last edited by mformatt : 01-08-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2011

flppr

Yep, your great physicality helps you muscle through your stroke and hides your balance issues. Time to get back to basics and work on core balance. You are now consciously incompetent. That's progress!
Old 01-10-2011

madvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mformatt View Post
Madvet,
Most of my TI 'training' before writing on this forum involved simply trying to do in the pool what I remembered from TI videos I found online. I didn't really do any drills, but it helped lengthen my body, and slow my kick, and focus on getting more distance from each. While doing this (following a skate drill) I want to open my body to the side of the pool.
I think the switch drills would help immensely, to get the timing of your arms correct. Look at the TI logo -- you want that arm extended as you bring your elbow up and begin to spear.