Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011

westyswoods
Default Unwinding

Patricia brings up a very important point. The importance of adults unwinding old ingrained neural patterns from years of swimming without proper technique should be addressed. It can be a critical piece for experienced adult swimmers who are attempting to redevelop their stroke.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 01-02-2011

cynthcor

Terry I have no problem with the use of the word "grownup" at all. In fact that was what piqued my interest when I saw the forum thread. As a 48 year old woman desperately searching for a way to learn to swim, I had a heck of a time trying to find a swim coach in my little home town. I feel incredibly fortunate to have found TI and though I am an infant in my knowledge, I have found a love for swimming that is already bringing immeasurable pleasure to my life.

Cyndi
Old 01-04-2011

Rhoda

I don't think "grownup" is a bad description either. One of the fellows in the masters swim club here showed up about 5 weeks into the start of the sessions after not swimming at all for months, kept glaring at me because he couldn't pass me, and insisted that he was "getting too old for this". Apparently he doesn't do any swimming on his own at all in the off season, only the club practices between September and June.
This points to a certain mindset, of having to be told what to do, when to do it, and relying on external motivation to even get to the pool. Fine for an eight year old, not so good for an adult.
Old 01-04-2011

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthcor View Post
Terry I have no problem with the use of the word "grownup" at all. In fact that was what piqued my interest when I saw the forum thread. As a 48 year old woman desperately searching for a way to learn to swim, I had a heck of a time trying to find a swim coach in my little home town. I feel incredibly fortunate to have found TI and though I am an infant in my knowledge, I have found a love for swimming that is already bringing immeasurable pleasure to my life.

Cyndi
++1
I didn't even like swimming when I took it up after a car accident in 1998. I only stuck with it because there wasn't any other form of exercise that didn't hurt. T.I. has turned swimming from something I did grudgingly into something that's an integral part of my life.
Old 01-04-2011

Richardsk

I always loved swimming ( at least after I learned to do it, rather late at eleven years old) but I love it even more now that I have discovered TI.

I intend to keep doing it until they cart me off.