Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default I'll take the Mile of Fly Challenge

The revival of this thread has me inspired. I'll take the Mile of Fly challenge. However this will need to wait until the first week of May. In the next 3 weeks I'm swimming the Colonies Zone and USMS Championships and all my focus will remain on those. However I'll swim a 1650 Fly as soon as I'm past those - just to see. I can't wait.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-08-2011

Suddethb
Default Three Mile Fly Challenge

Actually Terry, your DVD lead me to doing several miles of fly every week! My challenge to anyone here is to make it to THREE miles of fly and higher! I'm preping for the Chesapeake Bay Swim, but the 4.6 was full, so I'm planning the mile in fly, but I have to get my time under 40 minutes to be official. I've done it once, but my average is now at 43-45. I have a way to go. It's hard to relax and save energy when focused on meeting a time goal. I'm working on it.
Old 04-08-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I respect anyone who has an ambition to swim a really long distance in Fly. My purpose in swimming the mile would be to make my 200 Fly stroke stronger. I'm not certain this will be the outcome, but think it's worth doing the experiment. Plus I'm kind of curious what kind of time I'll do for 1650 since that's a distance I've raced many times in Free.

I don't think I'll aim to go longer though since I anticipate whatever benefit may be available for my 200 Fly by swimming a mile would not increase - and possibly slacken somewhat - by going longer.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-08-2011

AWP

I can't let you guys fly alone. I'm in, for a mile to start (yikes!), likewise I doubt for my interests now that any more would be a benefit but I am intrigued as to whether or not I can.
I'll build my attention to it as I make a slight shift towards narrowing my focus in the next few weeks to the open seas as Spring so painfully tries to appear and the pull towards open water increases.
Old 04-08-2011

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
I can't let you guys fly alone. I'm in, for a mile to start (yikes!), likewise I doubt for my interests now that any more would be a benefit but I am intrigued as to whether or not I can.
I'll build my attention to it as I make a slight shift towards narrowing my focus in the next few weeks to the open seas as Spring so painfully tries to appear and the pull towards open water increases.
Go AWP Go! Come out to S.F. and I'll join ya!
Old 04-08-2011

Richardsk

Gentlemen, when I can manage 50m fly long course, I'll start training to join you. I don't think that will be very soon.
Old 04-19-2011
Coach

CoachDave
Default huh?

Cook Strait Butterfly? Yep. That's nuts. But I swam out to the ice to raise a chunk over my head last week, so I've got no problem with it.

Open water butterfly can be easier in calm conditions (if salty) but a lot tougher in irregular chop. The Cook can be quite irregular, so I'd say try out a shorter swim in similar conditions before you throw that one out there- Cook is a mean, mean swim that can have you back at the starting point hours into it with the wrong current. If you can find the right rhythm in it, go for it!
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-15-2013

Suddethb
Default Fly In Openwater

From Naj - "Coach Dave, as you may or may not know I am planning on attempting The Cook Strait in two years time. Although more than 70 people have crossed it and there has been one double crossing (by Phillip Rush), to my knowledge, there have been no attempts to do the whole swim fly. I have been pondering this for awhile now and believe that with a TI fly technique I might be able to accomplish this. If I don't do fly solo, I also have a thought of doing all four strokes for four miles each. A kind of marathon swimming medley. What do others think? Am I nuts? "

Naj, what have you done about this dream? I haven't seen it posted in Openwaterpedia yet. I did an article for the Daily News of Openwater Swimming doing calculations based on the recorded OW butterfly times I could find in OWP, and didn't see your swim listed. How far have you gone? Have you done any OW butterfly swims on record that we can add to OWP yet?

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.c...pen-water.html
Old 06-20-2016

Suddethb

Anyone who makes over a mile using ONLY fly in a verifiable open water event, no wetsuits, dolphin kicks only, (FINA legal), contact me at Brian@Suddeth.com to get on the list. Please provide a link that documents your swim (event, news story, etc.)
http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?...utterfly_Swims

In open water events, I'm still stuck at 1 mile, and have multiple 5Ks in the pool, but I'm hoping to do a fly 2 mile or 5K in open water this year, in between guiding two blind swimmers in their own events.
http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Brian_Suddeth

Last edited by Suddethb : 06-20-2016 at 01:26 AM.