Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010

Suddethb
Default Welcome to 3-Mile FLY Land!

A HUGE BREAKTHROUGH THURSDAY! I swam OVER A MILE in relaxed butterfly (sets of 10 laps), and my heart rate wasn't over 120 when I checked it halfway through and again at the end! WOO HOO! I had planned to do 1-arm fly, but started in full, then kaizened out and had to stop only when I ran out of time! I was as energetic at the end as at the start! THANKS TERRY!

Today I finished 11 sets of 10 laps @ 50 yards each (+1) in relaxed Butterfly (avg 1:15 /lap)! Actually, that is over 3 miles. I did the extra to be able to claim a 5K. WOO HOO! The last lap I did racing fly to see that I still had plenty of gas left. Kept my heart rate about 120 start ...to finish! Mmmm MMMMM GOOD!

Terry's suggestions to me in the "4-Stroke Butterfly" thread were just what I needed to complete my transition.

I think I'm finally comfortable with the basics of what Terry has in the "Betterfly for Every Body" DVD. I did a push off at each end and glided without a dolphin for about 6-8 yards (not measured). When my buoyancy brought me to the surface I used the thought of lowering my hands to a point in the pool (anchored), then rose over them raising my torso so my head cleared the surface. I kept reminding myself to look downward (and forward) in a head neutral position rather than raising my head up and looking at the far end of the pool. I'm not quite as smooth as I'd like in "ride the wave," but seem to be very successful. I have a nice "whoosh" to my kick vortex as I head downward as I've looked down and back to see the rush of bubbles that my feet make. I do one more light dolphin in mid-stroke which has the lovely affect of looking like the flukes of a whale rising out of the water and then re-entering as I flick. Then it is back to a glide and rise. Terry had suggested I move up from 3-4 strokes per length in order to gain more oxygen, and on Thursday and this morning the average was 6 1/2 strokes per 25-yard length. At each 10 laps I paused to hydrate and then pushed off again. Soon I plan to try a mile without any stops and see how I do.

I had someone help with some video on Saturday, so I'll edit out the dull parts and will post some shots of the strokes soon.

Last edited by Suddethb : 03-12-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-13-2010

Suddethb
Default That wan't a onezie!

Did a mile fly (Betterfly) last night in 44 min and another 5K this morning with the first mile completed in 40 min. Avg HR 120, avg lap 1:15, avg strokes 6.5. I did 2 5Ks in the same week! I'm just fine with that!
Old 05-12-2010

Suddethb
Default Moving Forward

I'm doing 50/50 during practice now. One 25 yd length free (avg 13 strokes at 28 sec.) and then one length fly (avg 7 strokes at 25 sec.) Keep it up for 2 miles (about an hour.) I had been doing 1 lap free (47), one length slow fly (38) and one length moderate fly (32), but I've been able to pick up the pace a bit. Last week I had one length when I went all out in fly, and felt like a rock skipped over a pond. I'm disappointed that I didn't time it, but it may have been my fastest length in any stroke. Swimming is counted as therapy both physically and mentally now, since the pressure at work is killing me. BTW, I work at the Census Bureau...

Ballroom dancing, swimming and tai chi are the ways I am using to stay alive...
Old 05-12-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

This is totally awesome! I want to see the video. Last week I swam 12 x 25 fly which is the most I've ever swum. I'd love to be able to do what you described. More practice...
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-12-2010
Coach

CoachDave
Default Hmmmm

Sounds like we've got another Vicki Keith on our hands! Any aspirations of open water fly?
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 05-12-2010
Coach

CoachDave
Default Keith

In case you hadn't heard of herThis is Vicki Keith
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 04-07-2011

naj
Default I Want to do fly in OW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
Sounds like we've got another Vicki Keith on our hands! Any aspirations of open water fly?
Coach Dave, as you may or may not know I am planning on attempting The Cook Strait in two years time. Although more than 70 people have crossed it and there has been one double crossing (by Phillip Rush), to my knowledge, there have been no attempts to do the whole swim fly. I have been pondering this for awhile now and believe that with a TI fly technique I might be able to accomplish this. If I don't do fly solo, I also have a thought of doing all four strokes for four miles each. A kind of marathon swimming medley.

What do others think? Am I nuts?
Old 05-12-2010

Grant

[quote=Suddethb;10558]I'm doing 50/50 during practice now. One 25 yd length free (avg 13 strokes at 28 sec.) and then one length fly (avg 7 strokes at 25 sec.) Keep it up for 2 miles (about an hour.) I had been doing 1 lap free (47), one length slow fly (38) and one length moderate fly (32), but I've been able to pick up the pace a bit.

Good for you. That is impressive.
I have been building up to racing the 200 Fly LCM. A couple of weeks ago I did 80 x25m of easy fly with about 10 sec rest. That is the most I have ever done.
Since then I have been doing 4x50 and 2x100 sets with just 5 seconds rest between 50's or 100's.
Have done some complete 200's and they are getting smoother and less of a blood bath. This has been a long journey to get this far and has been alot of fun.
One fallout is that my 50 sprint speed has fallen off as I have not been doing any higher turnover work. A change of priorities
Fly on folks.
Old 08-17-2010

Suddethb
Default Flying Along!

Coach Dave, you do me great honor and over estimate my abilities greatly when you put me into Vicki's league, but I do aspire in that direction! She is truly magnificent!

I've relaxed into doing 12 stroke fly per 25 yds at about 66 sec per 50 yd lap. When I decide to sprint, I'm topping out at 36 seconds for a lap so far and hoping to see that go lower as I improve. Doing a mile non-stop is no longer any effort at all, but a gentle warm up.

I put my new fly skills to the test during the first week of August when I went to Rodney Scout Reservation in North East, MD with my younger son. 5 years ago I'd never passed the swim test. 4 years ago (before TI) I passed "swimmer" for the first time in my life with a granny side stroke. 3 years ago (still before TI) I completed a mile swim, but it was with huge difficulty and pain. I missed camp the next year, but last year using TI skills I completed 2 freestyle miles and had time left that I could have done a third in the 2 hour time allowed. This year they went open water in the Chesapeake Bay for the mile, and I completed it in a relaxed fly and at the end I felt warmed up, loose and relaxed and ready to keep on for as long as they'd let me (even though I was covered in seaweed, had fish slaps on my chest and couldn't see more than about 6 inches in the green water.) It was the first open water swims at that camp in 20 years, and the first time they'd ever recorded any mile swim test done in Butterfly.

There aren't too many "fresh" fresh water swims near me, so my options are limited. I'm looking for some, and have offered to do the swim portion of a relay tri team with a friend of mine and his wife. I just hate to swim in water I'd hesitate to rinse my mouth with...