Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012

rwilkes
Default Swing switch - help !!!!!

Hi all

I have been doing swing switch for about 6 months now and I still can't lead with my elbow, especially on my left side.

I can visualise the elbow leading, but when I try it, my hand takes over.

Has anyone any pointers that I could try, or what muscles should I use to initiate the recovery. This is getting very frustrating !!!!

On the latest DVD, terry seems to bring the elbow forward by using the shoulder, but I just can't seem to feel this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Russ
Old 08-24-2012

tony0000

Perhaps you should try to focus on letting your forearm and hand to relax and simply hang from the elbow as much as possible. That should help you lead with the elbow.

Good luck,

Tony
Old 08-24-2012

westyswoods

When practicing swing switch do so while the hand remains in the water. This is a drill which actually starts by keeping the forearm in the water and then gradually pulling more of the arm and hand out with an end point being a finger tip drag while focusing on lead elbow. You will find it next to impossible not to have the elbow lead with the hand or forearm in water. Very awkward feeling but it works.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-24-2012

Richardsk

You could practise elbow circles with your hands tucked into your armpits, first in front of a mirror and then in the water and then go on to elbow circles with your hand hanging loose.

There is an old drill (not a TI drill) called the chicken wing drill, in which you start with the hands tucked into the armpits as described above and gradually open out until you are doing a sort of shoulder driven stroke. It was favoured by the great Canadian coach Howard Firby as a good way of learning a 'high revving power stroke'. It is fun to do and might be one way of getting the feel of the elbow-led stroke.

If you're at all self-conscious it is not a good drill to do when anybody is watching.
Old 08-29-2012

truth1ness

Can you do the standing Marionette arm exercise where you just hand your hand dead relaxed and hop it from exit to entry? Do that standing and then go right into the stroke and keep duplicating the feeling.

Body position is also important. I find that if I'm not rotated enough or my top shoulder is lagging behind I can't get a good effortless recovery. In the right position my elbow almost falls forward like it's going downhill.

No matter what, don't force it with muscle or pinch your shoulder too far back to keep your elbow ahead as that'll get you some swimmers shoulder pain (from forcing internal rotation).
Old 09-04-2012

rwilkes

Thanks for all the advice guys, but I still can't get this swing switch going.

I think half the problem maybe that I am not timing things correctly because when I bring my arm forward on recovery, with all forearm under water, I seem to stop in the water, no forward movement.

This means that my legs lower on the water and seem to go off balance. When this happens (as in whole stroke) I lead with the hand.

This drill is very hard for me. I watch the DVD and I can visualise how to bring the elbow forward. Terry has a very high elbow when doing continuous swing switches, but moves through the water with speed.

Not sure how to crack this drill !!! Is more mental issue do you think ??

Russ
Old 09-11-2012

Richardsk

Hi Russ
You could try going back to the old zipper drill, which I think is the forerunner of the swing switch. I have just downloaded a copy of the early TI DVD called Fishlike Freestyle, which is very cheap and very good value in my opinion. You can see the zipper drill being performed very nicely in it by the famous Shane Gould among others.

The zipper drill is no longer part of the TI method, I think, because it tended to encourage a degree of over-rotation and perhaps a slight cramping of the recovery. Nevertheless I think it might help you to visualize the swing switch, by pulling up the zipper a bit further away from your body and from a less rotated position.