Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012

truth1ness

Also to add, backstroke is how I came to realize the feeling. For me at least, it's a hard angle on the shoulder to pull down real hard behind me, so backstroke forces me to really pivot my body over and around my hand instead of just blasting straight forward.
Old 08-29-2012

rwilkes

Hi everyone

Many thanks for taking time to my question on holding water, your responses have been invaluable.

I just want to share with you a "feeling" that I had while doing spear switch today. I deliberately held the water a split second longer by moving the spearing hand first, as opposed to spearing and pulling together.

The difference was amazing !! I felt as if the pull started further back, I think as a result of holding the water and spearing passed the catching hand. I achieved greater propulsion (and YES... A glide !!), without a greater pull or forced hip drive.

I presume I achieved the greater movement forward due to holding the water, your thought on this would be appreciated !!

Many thanks

Russ
Old 08-29-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilkes View Post
Hi everyone

Many thanks for taking time to my question on holding water, your responses have been invaluable.

I just want to share with you a "feeling" that I had while doing spear switch today. I deliberately held the water a split second longer by moving the spearing hand first, as opposed to spearing and pulling together.

The difference was amazing !! I felt as if the pull started further back, I think as a result of holding the water and spearing passed the catching hand. I achieved greater propulsion (and YES... A glide !!), without a greater pull or forced hip drive.

I presume I achieved the greater movement forward due to holding the water, your thought on this would be appreciated !!

Many thanks

Russ
There is a point where the two shoulders get in line.(as if tied together by a small piece of bamboo) Once they are 'locked' then if you apply the power of the spear your whole body is connected and you feel the big propulsion.