Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012

Golden Rectangle
Default power breathe

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I had read Ms McConnell's book and was intrigued to try it. I have only been using it for a couple of weeks, mostly in the car, but I already feel a difference. I think that my breathing while swimming is a little stronger, and so is my endurance.
Old 07-07-2012

Rupertdacat
Default Powerbreather available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamy View Post
I know the power breather is a new invention but would wonder if anyone from TI community has used it? Would you recommend it? if you don't know what it is then here's the link http://www.powerbreather.de/
Checked out the link- thanks. Not having to re-breathe exhaled air would be nice, but it looks like the Powerbreather snorkel would present quite a bit more drag than the Finis product(s). In any event, it doesn't appear to be available yet. It seems the last poster is referring to a different (non-snorkel) product.

Rupe
Old 07-07-2012

rolferdon

Here is what coach Emmett Hines wrote about the Finis snorkel and I would agree. I purchased the freestyle before I read his article and I have trouble with getting H2o in it. I am not an experienced TI swimmer so I will be getting the standard Finis snorkel.

"Once you get really good using the Swimmer’s Snorkel you may derive increased benefits from the Freestyle Snorkel, also offered by Finis Inc. This snorkel is designed specifically for freestyle swimming, and is particularly beneficial at higher speeds. It requires a higher level of skill to use properly but promotes further skill refinement in more-skilled swimmers. (Warning: If you make the mistake of saying to yourself, "I'm just going to shortcut the learning process and get this snorkel as my first training snorkel" you'll likely just end up frustrated and unhappy. Get and use the Swimmer's Snorkel first - then, after maybe a year of using it, consider the Freestyle Snorkel.)"

good luck!!!

The bones do what the muscles tell them and the muscles do what the nerves tell them
Old 07-08-2012

nicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
Hi Nick,

Have you a video of yourself so the teachers here can see if the neck problem could be eliminated/reduced by a change in technique?
Not for a while as it is winter here and our outdoor pool is closed and the indoor is very populated so i don't like to try, i am not sure if management allows cameras, probably would be OK when its quiet but not at the moment.

I think i have other issues with my neck as it even is sore today after a bike ride and i havn't been in the pool for days and this being the reason i thought the snorkel would still allow me to have a swim.

I have had it checked out a few times and it just comes back so i just put it down to old age and accept it :)

Funny though i typed finis into the ebay search and laughed at some of the training aids, Give it a try , Hip fins, swim parachute, Forearm Fulcrum lol
Old 07-08-2012

mbruse

The power breather looks very cool. Not sure I would use it though. It seems that I would never develop any technique for breathing and grow dependent on it.

Refer to Terry's comment about other pool toys in the book.

This looks like something a navy seal would use to avoid being detected on a stealth mission.

The beauty of the drills in TI are that you are slowly developing your muscles and air capacity for the next set of drills. By using a snorkel too much you circumvent that process.
Old 07-08-2012

Rupertdacat
Default Snorkel has helped me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruse View Post
The beauty of the drills in TI are that you are slowly developing your muscles and air capacity for the next set of drills. By using a snorkel too much you circumvent that process.
That's too categorical for me. Some (such as myself) might find that breathing takes up so much effort/concentration that they can make little progress with balance/streamline/strength/endurance. Or, it can lead to such frustration that they get tempted to quit altogether.

I have been using the Finis swimming snorkel for a couple of months now (2.5 years into TI) and have found improvement in all the non-breathing parameters listed above. In perhaps another month or so i will feel secure enough in these other parameters to start again working on non-snorkel breathing.

Rupe
Old 07-10-2012

tony0000

I practice with a snorkel regularly. I am a strong proponent. I am a beginning TI swimming and unfortunately cannot swim more than a couple of laps at a time. But with a snorkel I can go much farther. With the snorkel I can really concentrate on my arm entry, kick-timing, streamlining, etc., without worry about whether I'm going to die from lack of air. Of course, there's a big difference between swimming with a snorkel and without. But I figure if I can get some elements down using the snorkel, then I will have an easier of time working on the remaining elements without it. To conclude: I feel it's been a really benefit for me at the beginning stage of my TI swimming.