Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011

andyinnorway
Default My first Video for Analysis please

Found the charger for my handycam last night and had the pool nearly to myself for the last 5 minutes this morning so ran the tape for 6 lengths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CybOmKpgTBE

All comments, good and bad very welcome.

As my own coach I have the following thoughts.

1. It was immediately less relaxing to swim knowing the camera was on.

2. My general form is ok given my 7 months of training, but immediately I look like someone who can swim at 1.40 not 1.25. Its just not totally there yet.

3. My right side is over rotating and coming close to crossing over, this is restricting my left sides ability to rotate and recover correctly and also inhibiting my right arm catch and pull

4. My head position is better than I thought but I am looking too far forward, especially on push off.

5. My feet splay a little so I could try to keep my body moving through a smaller tube.

Self suggestions for correction

1. increase focus on breathing to my weaker side.
2. do some strokes in the mirror and look at symmetry
3. over compensate the right arm entry on a wider track and then refilm in a week to inspect improvement.

Thanks in advance for insights.
Old 09-26-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I think it's excellent, especially as a self coached TIer. And I can now see why the asymmetrical tempo trainer suits your current stroke. :)

I notice that you breath every stroke to the right, adn this probably adds to your overrotation on that side. With every stroke to the right you end up with stacked shoulders, your right elbow actually crosses over behind your back as you recover (and breath) and contributes to "tipping" your balance that way.

If you tried some breathign specific nodding drills, it may help you feel like you don't need to rotate so far to the right.

I'd suggest pushing off the way and doing 4-6 non breathing strokes with nodding, then repeating with nod-breath-nod-breath and finally 4-6 "regular" strokes.

This might help correct a lot of what you are observing

Good work!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-26-2011
Coach

CoachBobM

First, I'd suggest that in the future, you videotape yourself from the side of the pool as well as from the end of the lane. There are different things that can be seen better from each angle.

Your stroke appears to be fairly relaxed, which is good. And while your kick is a bit too wide at times, you aren't doing a lot of excessive kicking.

You are rotating way too much on your breathing side and not quite enough on your non-breathing side. But on both sides, you are recovering with your elbow a bit behind you. You also don't appear to be leading with your elbow during your recovery on either side. Think about dragging your hand through the water in front of your face (when you're breathing) and only pullling it out momentarily to hop it over your ear.

Bob
Old 09-27-2011

cynthiam

Nice! I especially like how you keep your head down (that was one of my biggest problems for a long time -- and I still have to pay attention to it). You look pretty relaxed and well balanced.

I agree with your self-assessment. I notice that your arms are spearing almost in front of your head (especially your right arm). Your recovering right elbow is coming directly over your head. Your shoulders must be very flexible! You might want to try moving your recovering arm outward to the side for wider tracks, leading with the elbow. Of course, you would need to rotate less to do this successfully. Which would help with the over-rotation that Coach Bob & Coach Suzanne mentioned. :) If you're used to rotating this much, at first it will feel strange to rotate less.

The swing switch drill (formerly named zen or zipper switch) focuses on moving your recovering arm with the elbow away from your side. It's a challenging drill for me, and it really helps keep my tracks wide enough. I also can't rotate too much & do this drill successfully. You might want to try it.

I look forward to seeing your next video!
Old 09-28-2011

andyinnorway
Default thank you

guys, thanks for the constructive tips and feedback.

I saw Suzanne's comments before my last swim and the bobbing was amazing. It was the first time I realised how heavy and buoyant my head could be at the same time. and also how comfortable it was to tilt the head slightly. I think before I ahd been trying to hold it in perfect alignment when on my side which was obviously taking energy and muscle usage.

I also like bob's elbow dragging observation as I hadn't seen that and will couple some mindful practise of that with keeping my hands barely above the waterline.

Relaxing my head seemed to help with the over rotation and the wide arms track but I was only able to test it in a shorter hotel pool as I have been on the road this week.

I must also put my dvds' on again and check out the zipper drill. Home tomorrow and have permission from the wife to head straight out to the pool when I get off the plane. hee hee.

happy swimming all.

ps will try to video from the side next time and hopefully underwater once my sports housing arrives from Sony.