Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011

Danny
Default using tempo trainer at double the pace

A while ago I posted a question, because I was having trouble syncing off the turns with the tempo trainer. Many thanks to everyone for their advice and help on this issue. The tip that helped the most was to set the TT to twice the speed. That gives you the chance to sync of the half beat when you turn, which really made things much easier. In the process, however, I found I was syncing to both beats while swimming, even when the TT was beating twice per stroke. When I was done, I tried to figure out exactly what I was syncing to on the half beat, and I'm still not sure, but here is my best guess. I spear forward on the first beat and then I pull my opposite hand out of the water to initiate a recovery on the second beat. If this is true, it tells me something I hadn't realized consciously before; that is, there is a hesitation where I glide with my recovering hand at my hip before I pull the hand out of the water to start the recovery. I would be interested to know whether other people have this glide period with their hand at their hip or is it only me? Any insights into the pros and cons of this and using double time with the TT would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2011

Danny
Default correction to what I said below

I just looked at some underwater videos of people swimming freestyle and realized that what I said below is not necessarily true. That is, I claimed if I was syncing the exit of my recovery hand to the second beat, it implied that I had a hesitation in my stroke, where my recovery hand was staying at my hip. Now it occurs to me that what might really be happening is that I am slowing done the speed of my arm stroke so that my recovery can occur exactly on the second beat of the TT. Clearly I am still rather confused about what I am doing and would welcome any insights. Still, slowing down the arm stroke feels like it might be right. What impressed me was how easy the stroking seemed to be once I got in that rhythm and the reason might be because I had actually slowed down the stroking arm.
Old 09-26-2011

andyinnorway
Default Double TT for stroke rates over 1.0

I think putting the TT on double time for SR over 1.0 helps as in my experience as a professional musician and teacher, many people find it hard to hold accurate rhythm at tempos below 60bpm so the middle beat helps the brain feel the correct time rather than guess it.
Old 09-30-2011

dobarton
Default There is absolutely no question in my mind that I...

pause with my hand in streamline at my hip when I'm in a relatively slow stoke. I find that a very comfortable position. It's when I'm doing this kind of a stroke that I feel like I'm doing swimming yoga, lol. It's just cool to feel this glide in this position.
I can't get my stroke count down to 10 or less without this peaceful, momentary glide.
Old 10-01-2011

Danny
Default update on progress with the TT

Well, after a couple of weeks working with the TT at twice the stroke rate, I am getting used to this thing. I have been swimming 300 yd. sets with it and I'm starting to feel more comfortable. One difference that I note is that, without the TT, in the last lap or two I tend to pick up the pace because I know I am almost done. The TT of course prohibits that, which takes about 10 or 15 seconds off my times. I still can't figure out what I am synching to on the offbeat. Sometimes it feels like my hand in the back position and sometimes it feels like a leg recovery. That is, when I kick, I leave my leg down a while before pulling it back. I don't know how much of this is stuff I was doing before and how much of it is stuff I find myself doing now that the TT is on. Would be grateful for any further thoughts and feedback.