Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011

stancil
Default Starting Points

For all intents and purposes, I'm a newbie to TI; I bought and used a copy of the 1996 book back in '03, but never made it all that far. Two questions:

(1) Where do I start now with respect to self-coaching? It seems a bit of the terminology and many of the training philosophies have changed. What should I buy (given that a $15 book is a lot easier to justify than a $50 DVD).

(2) How do I get a good days' workout in early on in my TI experience? I can only realistically swim 1.5 hours, 2 days/week at the local University pool, and my only exercise those days has to be in the pool -- I can't supplement with running or anything else on those days.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Old 06-21-2011

dzhou01

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancil View Post
For all intents and purposes, I'm a newbie to TI; I bought and used a copy of the 1996 book back in '03, but never made it all that far. Two questions:

(1) Where do I start now with respect to self-coaching? It seems a bit of the terminology and many of the training philosophies have changed. What should I buy (given that a $15 book is a lot easier to justify than a $50 DVD).

(2) How do I get a good days' workout in early on in my TI experience? I can only realistically swim 1.5 hours, 2 days/week at the local University pool, and my only exercise those days has to be in the pool -- I can't supplement with running or anything else on those days.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Hi Paul,

You can get the 10 lessons perpetual motion DVD for $30+ at Amazon. It helped me a lot.

I think 1.5 hours, 2 days/week is good enough. As long as you keep doing it, you should see results within 3 months.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011

collinsdc
Default A picture is worth a thousand words....

Hi Paul & welcome aboard.

Go with the new Self-Coached Workshop Perpetual Motion Freestyle DVD. I began with the book & the older Freestyle Made Easy DVD.

The book is a help for reference & for understanding the actual mechanics of efficient swimming but if you are beginning this journey on your own you will find the visuals of the DVD far more beneficial.

The drills & methodology have been updated to make everything clear & concise, I purchased it recently & it is worth the price. In addition you can download the user manual from the website so that you begin on the right foot.

You may have limited practice time, but if you focus on doing what you can well in the alloted time you have in the pool rather than the number of pool visits then it wont be long before you begin to see some really satisfying results.

Hope this helps, good luck on your journey.

Denis.