Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009

bartp
Default Riding Higher in the Water?

Hi all,

I've been doing TI swimming for 5 years and have had my swimming completely transformed. I am currently working hard on keeping my lead hand from dropping too early. I can do it just fine when i am not breathing. When i breathe however i often drop it early because i cannot get my mouth high enough out of the water for breath. I believe my problem is that i am sinking horizontally just a little too far. When i come back up I am very close to getting enough breath but not quite. After getting some great tips on the forums I realized that i was over-rotating and breathing too late in my cycle. Correcting these have already made me ride a little higher in the water. I feel like if i could just ride a little higher in the water things would be amazing. But i am not quite there yet...any more tips?? Any new line of thought?

Barton
Old 11-14-2009

flipper

make sure to expel all the air thats in your lungs in order to be empty and ready to inhale through the mouth as soon as it hits the surface and concentrate on increasing the length of time your mouth is near the surface. When I get into a real good zone the top my head moving forward creates that little bow wave(?) which has a pocket. All I have to do is turn my head and air is there. The thing is it works better at a faster tempo than I am able to keep up for a sustained time. This in my case I think is a lack of top conditioning. At slower tempo I tend to over rotate on the breathing stroke.
Old 11-14-2009

JohanWJoubert
Send a message via Skype™ to JohanWJoubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
When I get into a real good zone the top my head moving forward creates that little bow wave(?) which has a pocket. All I have to do is turn my head and air is there. The thing is it works better at a faster tempo than I am able to keep up for a sustained time.
I've read in a few posts about the "bow wave". Could someone please direct me to the "original". Apparently one of the coaches gave a nice exercise with fins, and I think it will help me to not over-rotate.

I HAVE tried the search function... but "bow" only contains three letters, and the search engine keeps asking for minimum four ;-)

If it is on one of the videos, I'm out of luck since I only have the book; but two videos are on my wish-list for Christmas.
Old 11-14-2009

RadSwim

At 5 years into TI, I am also working on improving left breathing. The things that help me breathe left earlier and easier:

1. Lower my right hand target from 3:00 to 3:15.

2. Keep my fingers pointing down.

3. Rotate to breathe while imagining that I have a fishing line attached to the vertex of my cap, pulling me toward the end of the pool. Same idea as "laser beam" but a more concrete metaphor. This focus prevents me from lifting my head to breathe.

4. New discovery, perhaps most important. When spearing with right arm, focusing on stretching right abdominal muscles. This corrects my tendency to flex (curve) my thoracic spine when left breathing. I feel longer when stretching and left breathing comes earlier and easier.

Hope my experience helps.