Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Interesting article- is triathlon the new golf?

Just caught this blog post about who is doing triathlon for what reasons, and what their motivations and results are
http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/1...of-triathlons/

Please have a read and tell us what you think!
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 11-05-2009

dtw
Default Interesting and true...

It's not just the "start up" cost of bike and gear, it is the time. When I was at peak training for an olympic distance tri, I could barely work in 5 or 6 workouts a week and still maintain my work load. How some of these athletes get in 10+ is unreal.

The real downside is how often I have heard of tri training disturbing a happy home. The early weekday mornings, weekend long run/ride and off-time exhaustion can seriously hurt a relationship.

I suppose, like swimming, it's all about balance.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 11-05-2009

naj

I love endurance sports but I'm not a type A personality. Also the cost of doing triathlons is way outside my socio-economic sphere. Whereas in open water swimming I have minimal costs. Granted there are star-up costs for this sport too but over time - at least for me - its affordable.

Another thing is that I like being around folks who are laid back and just enjoy swimming, and maybe test their limits and achieve new goals. I could care less if I get the triple crown of open water swimming (i.e. The English Channel, Catalina Channel, and Manhattan Island Marathon), but it would be nice to try and see how far I could go. But if not, oh well...I figured push myself but don't have a fit if I can't make it. Just give it all you've got.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-05-2009

sasquatch

there are a few triathletes who swim at "my" pool regularly. Nice folks, always asking me for swimming tips, how many meters I do in a workout, and wondering why I don't tri. Same reasons I don't golf. I don't see it as being worth the investment in time or money. (I had a hard enough time justifying the purchase of my most expensive piece of swimming gear... a $35 tempo trainer.) Training for triathlons would take me away from my family too much. For better or worse, I'm just not that competitive either.

At some point doesn't extreme, endurance racing (iron man, marathon, ultra-marathon) stop being about health and enjoyment and start being more about status? Some people crave that initial "wow" reaction you get when you tell others you've completed something "big". I swim for me (would love to cross the English/Catalina Channel) but could care less if others think I'm admirably fit/crazy.
Old 11-05-2009

don h
Default the new golf

i've been doing the sport of triathlon, training and competing, year round for three and a half years. i love the sport ten times more than i ever liked baseball, football, track and field, basketball, or golf. i love the TI swimming i have been patiently learning for three years. woops, gotta see a client.

don h
Old 11-08-2009

Rhoda

I know a lot of triathletes who are not type A personalities. They just like doing the three sports and having a big social circle to do them with. One of them admitted to me that not a lot gets done at home when she's preparing for an Ironman - the dust bunnies get big enough to hop around on their own.
I've considered it, but it just isn't important enough to me to devote the time to. I have numerous other hobbies, so swimming 3-5 times a week, biking to work on nice days, and going out for 1-2 hour bike rides with my husband is enough for me.
I didn't know the entry fees were so expensive, but I guess it makes sense, given the number of volunteers and the logistics of getting the three courses organized. I don't think it would be necessary to buy a $6000 or even a $3000 bike. The bike doesn't pedal itself, and after the $1200 point, the law of diminishing returns means that you're getting very subtle improvements for each price point increase. If I ever did a tri, I'd just slap a pair of aero clip-ons onto my 19 year old steel road race bike and dig out my old sew-up wheels to glue new tires onto. Being an ex bike racer, I already have most of the stuff. If I were starting from scratch, I'd buy something like a Trek 1200 and get aero clip-ons for it, or pick up a previous years model of tri bike, which large bike shops are always trying to get rid of at discount prices.
Old 12-17-2009

astafford

I think there may be some people who do tri's for networking, but in my limited experience, the article is way off base and making sweeping generalizations that are, in my opinion, based on ignorance and rumors/reporting of either non-triathletes or the elites. Certainly elites spend countless hours and tons of money training, but many of them also have sponsors and triathlons are their bread and butter.

I'm an amateur triathlete and have only three races on my 2010 plan: a sprint, an Oly, and a half-iron (my first). The entry fees total $400 because they are local and I don't have to travel. My bike was only $300 and for my skill level it's plenty. In addition, all my other gear comes in at only at about $500 and I have a lot of gear. It's just not top of the line. My budget doesn't allow for it. Likewise, my training is squeezed in to the rest of my life, not the other way around. I swim 2-3 days a week and can swim more than 2 miles without an issue. I do pre-dawn runs and bike rides, and lift weights during my daughter's karate class twice a week. Will I ever break the tape at a tri? Certainly not, but I'm getting better. I'm not a competitive person either, just like a lot of other people I know who do tri's. That's one of the beauties of the sport. It really is open to everyone (which the article DOES point out only briefly).

While the article may point out some truth about some people doing tri's, it certainly doesn't capture the spirit of the sport, in my opinion and limited experience.
Old 12-18-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Marathon running has grown exponentially in 30 years. There were something like 25,000 who ran a marathon in the mid-70s at the beginning of the "running boom." Now there's not just a running boom, but a marathon boom - 425,000 ran one in 2008 and 700k more ran a half.

The average finishing time now is nearly an hour slower than 30 years ago, so the demographics are very different. The bulk of the field is made up of "healthseekers" - people whose goal is more to complete, than compete.

The growth in triathlon now seems to mirror that in marathon. When we first began getting triathletes at our camps and clinics around 1991 and for several years after, most seemed to be - in the words of my daughter Betsy - "exercise droids." Not anymore. Far fewer hardcore athletes. Far more nice people who value the communitarian and healthful aspects of doing triathlon. We enjoy meeting them.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-24-2010

PASA
Talking Injury risk of biking keeps me in the pool and off the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
there are a few triathletes who swim at "my" pool regularly. Nice folks, always asking me for swimming tips, how many meters I do in a workout, and wondering why I don't tri. Same reasons I don't golf. I don't see it as being worth the investment in time or money. (I had a hard enough time justifying the purchase of my most expensive piece of swimming gear... a $35 tempo trainer.) Training for triathlons would take me away from my family too much. For better or worse, I'm just not that competitive either.

At some point doesn't extreme, endurance racing (iron man, marathon, ultra-marathon) stop being about health and enjoyment and start being more about status? Some people crave that initial "wow" reaction you get when you tell others you've completed something "big". I swim for me (would love to cross the English/Catalina Channel) but could care less if others think I'm admirably fit/crazy.
Living in the LA area, there aren't too many places to cycle safely for long distances. This is a major reason I haven't ventured into triathlons. I like cycling, but am not willing to take the risk of injury on our roads out here. I "ride" a bike trainer at home, and jog in my neighborhood, but best of all I love swimming. This weekend I heard a story that sealed the deal for me. A young man on my son's high school swim team is a triathlete. He was out of commission for several weeks a year ago when he fell on a downhill portion of a bike ride in a triathlon race, breaking several bones. No thanks. I'll stick to water.