Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2016
Chuckthe

Default Pool vs Open Breathing

After many (MANY) years out of the pool i am in training for a 2km open water swim happening in February.

Just a couple of pool sessions a week to which i will add some open water as it warms up a little here.

On the weekend i did my first open water race, 1km. While i was happy with my time (16:30) i found i went straight into a 2-stroke breathing instead of my normal 4 stroke in the pool.

Am i losing anything here?
Old 11-14-2016

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthe View Post
After many (MANY) years out of the pool i am in training for a 2km open water swim happening in February.

Just a couple of pool sessions a week to which i will add some open water as it warms up a little here.

On the weekend i did my first open water race, 1km. While i was happy with my time (16:30) i found i went straight into a 2-stroke breathing instead of my normal 4 stroke in the pool.

This may be stating the obvious, but probably no one is in a better position to answer this question than you yourself. Probably you will need to spend some more time in open water and alternate between open water and the pool to study what changes in these two environments. But a lot of things do change. I have never been able to really sort out why it is that I swim better at some indoor pools than in others.

Here is one possibility: in a pool you only have to swim 25 (50) m/yds before turning. Do you do flip turns? If not, you get a good chance to get air on each turn, which you don't get in open water.

Were you pushing yourself harder in the open water? In some sense, you probably were, which is why you changed your breathing pattern. The question is in what way were you working harder?
Old 11-14-2016

truwani

I also think that on each end of a length you get a small rest period, which helps for the oxygen

Also open water is a lot less comfortable: the sight underwater is bad, you feel plants, ... This all puts your body in a more alerted mode,demanding more oxygen

Try to relax more in the open water and pass more time in it instead of a comfortable pool: your body will gradually adapt, feel at ease and demand less frequent breaths
Old 11-14-2016
ti97

nothing wrong with getting as much air as you need when needed
Old 11-15-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthe View Post

Hi Chuck,

Get the air you need, breathe on 2's. I typically have the pattern, 2,2,4,2,2,4. Then to switch sides, 2,2,3,2,2,4,2,2,4 .. and so on. More breathing = more head movement. The biggest issue causing problems with balance and stability is lifting head for air. As long as you breathe with neutral posture regardless of breathing pattern, noting to lose and only more air to gain.

Good luck

Stuart
Old 11-16-2016

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Chuck,

Get the air you need, breathe on 2's. I typically have the pattern, 2,2,4,2,2,4. Then to switch sides, 2,2,3,2,2,4,2,2,4 .. and so on. More breathing = more head movement. The biggest issue causing problems with balance and stability is lifting head for air. As long as you breathe with neutral posture regardless of breathing pattern, noting to lose and only more air to gain.

Good luck

Stuart
I have got into the pattern of one in 3 breathing, which I found helpful because it forces me to develop my uncomfortable left side breathing, and it also helps me to keep track of stroke count (one in three means I breathe left on 6, 12, 18).

If I'm going harder I get a little air hunger, but I wondered if it was actually due to CO2 retention rather than O2 shortage, and might be alleviated by concentrating on the slow exhalation ending with a more complete exhalation before the breathing in stroke. i.e not deviating from the 1 in 3 pattern, merely concentrating on fuller exhalation. Is this a valid idea? Or should I just breathe 1 in 2?
Old 11-17-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sclim,

If you're getting enough air breathing every 3rd stroke, that's fine. My only advice is you don't have to make breathing on both weaker and stronger sides a priority over getting enough air. I breathe off my right shoulder 80%, left shoulder 20% and when necessary (chop, swimmer piranha, or just can't breathe off right shoulder). But I do feel comfy with 2,2,4 - 2,2,4 breathing pattern and get more than enough air with swimming open water. Often I'll breathe on 1's if I miss enough air off my right shoulder, i.e. breathe right shoulder, then breath off left shoulder on next stroke.

In any case, don't let a pattern or breathing on weak side compromise getting enough air to swim whatever distance happens to be your goal.

Stuart
Old 11-17-2016

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
I typically have the pattern, 2,2,4,2,2,4. Then to switch sides, 2,2,3,2,2,4,2,2,4 .. and so on.
Hi Stuart, I'm recently using the same pattern - used to breathe every 2 switching side on every lenght before - and I really like it! The 4 consecutive strokes with eyes down are a very good stroke reset for me: they adjust alignment, rotation, symmetry and help setting a good rhythm too. And they are also a breathing reset, for when I need more time to exhale.

Salvo
Old 11-19-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Cool! Glad it helps. And yes, those four strokes are a frequent reset and focus, while still getting enough air. Also, never fear to get air breathing on 1's if you need the air; I do it frequently in ow. Breathing on 1's your head doesn't have time to get out of position :-) Sun Yang breathes on 1's last two strokes going into the wall, and on 1's first two strokes after the wall.

Stuart