Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2016
OllieMackJames

Default Please Critique my swimming

Recently did a TI workshop, great to learn something new.

Here is a video of the last swim I did, happy to get some more expert critique from here.

https://vimeo.com/user20398045/revie...677/28bad11987

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016

Zenturtle

you got the basics.
Now imagine the water is soooo warm in the pool you are getting sleepy and relaxed.
Make all the movements looooonnnnnggg and ssssllllooooooowwwwww......
Feel how your body is supported by the water.
Feel the pressure of the water when you move arms and legs through the water.
Feel what the weight of the arm above water is doing to the rest of the body.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiu_7kGoe3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSn-KapGSk
Rome wasnt build in one day, so expect your progress to go slow and gradual.
Just keep what you know right now, but let the water round the sharp edges and tension of your movements.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 02-10-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2016
OllieMackJames

@zenturtle, thanks, so more relaxation, point taken, will work on that.

Also looking for some tips for my 2bk, someone in the pool says I kick too much from the knee, any ideas what to do to better engage the hip?

tnx!
Old 02-10-2016

Zenturtle

There is a lot to say about all kinds of technical things in your stroke.
You probably have heard talking about outside-in and inside-out.
I guess everybody starts outside in, meaning most of the mental and physivcal focus is on what the arms and legs are doing.
Very gradually you start to swim more from the center of your body, making that a more and more stable foundation for the arms and legs to act upon.

Now you have learnt when to kick with one leg, and when to spear with an arm, and you know you have to be straenlined etc.
Try to build a central core foundation thats like a floating vessel where arms and legs are passengers taking a participating ride.
Let the passengers loosen up a bit if they like , taking a sunbath while the cruiser moves forward.
Thats taking things to the extreme, because the passengers have to use the paddles eventually to make the cruiser move forward, but try to implement a few procent of this idea in your stroke.

Very general advice:
Swim like you do now, but just make your movements a bit longer and smoother, while keeping your bodyline straight using some main body tone.

If you read through all the threads on this forum you will find plenty that give specific technical answers on swimmers with similar stroke technique.

I am a fan of using an almost straight leg for getting the feeling of kicking from the hip (you do kick from the knee).
ON dryland, lie face down on a mattrass, with straight leg push top of one foot in mattrass, butt wants to rise, support with other side shoulder pressing in the mattrass, building a diagonal bridge. Not a high bridge, only one inch extra lift from the butt compared to relaxed. Switch left and right side diagonal bridges at a certain tempo.
The leg on the side of the shoulder that is pressing in the mattrass has to be lifted a bit too.
Feel that tension in your core?
Thats how your kick should feel during your swim. The knee can bend a bit during swimming, but not so much that you are loosing that basic core action.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 02-10-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2016

gary p

I left my comments on your vimeo page, since my perspective is not TI-specific.

Last edited by gary p : 02-10-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2016
OllieMackJames

@gary_p

Thanks lots for that! reposting here so I can keep track of all comments in one place.

=====
Not bad, I think you have a solid foundation to work from. A few things I see:

-Looks like you're giving up a lot of your catch. Watch your wrists; they bend back a little when you start to pull. Then you start the shoulder rotation and drop your elbow. I'd like to see you start the pull at your elbow, bend it the opposite way and using your forearm and hand like a big paddle.

If you can't visualize what I'm talking about, maybe this will help: imgur.com/adamZvE

I'd like to see you're arm aligned with the green line. That would give you much more distance out of each stroke.

For more visualization, see this page: feelforthewater.com/2012/08/bend-it-like-becky-part-2.html

-As you go further, it appears the timing of your kick changes subtly. Late in the clip, it looks like you're kicking fractionally early. If you use a high-elbow style pull, the kick should come just as you're body is coming over your elbow.

-Your hips & legs are still riding a little low. Maybe you need to "lean forward" a little more, or maybe you just need more time to develop your core strength.
========end of copied in========

Definitely understand what you're saying about the early vertical catch I think

And also I need to work on my core, I checked up on this forum and found some stuff from david sheng regarding d-breathing etc, lots of stuff to focus on further.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, much appreciated!
Old 02-10-2016
OllieMackJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
There is a lot to say about all kinds of technical things in your stroke.
You probably have heard talking about outside-in and inside-out.
I guess everybody starts outside in, meaning most of the mental and physivcal focus is on what the arms and legs are doing.
Very gradually you start to swim more from the center of your body, making that a more and more stable foundation for the arms and legs to act upon.

Now you have learnt when to kick with one leg, and when to spear with an arm, and you know you have to be straenlined etc.
Try to build a central core foundation thats like a floating vessel where arms and legs are passengers taking a participating ride.
Let the passengers loosen up a bit if they like , taking a sunbath while the cruiser moves forward.
Thats taking things to the extreme, because the passengers have to use the paddles eventually to make the cruiser move forward, but try to implement a few procent of this idea in your stroke.

Very general advice:
Swim like you do now, but just make your movements a bit longer and smoother, while keeping your bodyline straight using some main body tone.

If you read through all the threads on this forum you will find plenty that give specific technical answers on swimmers with similar stroke technique.

I am a fan of using an almost straight leg for getting the feeling of kicking from the hip (you do kick from the knee).
ON dryland, lie face down on a mattrass, with straight leg push top of one foot in mattrass, butt wants to rise, support with other side shoulder pressing in the mattrass, building a diagonal bridge. Not a high bridge, only one inch extra lift from the butt compared to relaxed. Switch left and right side diagonal bridges at a certain tempo.
The leg on the side of the shoulder that is pressing in the mattrass has to be lifted a bit too.
Feel that tension in your core?
Thats how your kick should feel during your swim. The knee can bend a bit during swimming, but not so much that you are loosing that basic core action.
Thanks for that!

working on your dry land exercise and I like your comments on working on inside out, working from the core.

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2016

andyinnorway

I would encourage you to reach further forwards with the hands. Your arm shape looks a bit crabby on some still frames.

This is harder with a deep spear as you have (or have picked up in TI workshop) but your point of balance may come up as your aquatic skills increase with pool time/mindful practice.

Well done so far.
Old 02-12-2016

sclim

You are using a snorkel, and while this may be convenient at this stage of the game before you have learned to breath during swimming without compromising your balance, the snorkel use itself introduces some behavioural aspects to your swimming, not all of them useful.

I notice you have good head control, i.e you're not swaying all over the place. I wonder if part of this is driven by the design of the snorkel -- your head stillness is in response to sucking in water when you roll your head or if you dip your face down. If this is so it might account for the fact that you swim with your face angled forward by about 30 degrees, rather than the traditional TI recommendation of face down 90 degrees to the floor of the pool, or 0 degrees of forward angle.

I am no expert, but I suspect you can quite easily achieve better fore and aft balance than you are achieving now (your back end is dropping, causing drag). You would have to aim your face down at a lower angle than currently, which means the snorkel can't be used to breathe, and perhaps also press your chest downwards. You may need to do this in stages, in dedicated balance practice, say by gliding in Superman, doing nothing else except gliding in balance. This can be done in the shallow end, which solves the breathing problem for this practice drill -- just stand up when you need air. Also skate drill with face similarly down and aiming for horizontal alignment.

Once you have acquired horizontality and fixed it in your body memory, it may be possible to safely use the snorkel again, but there is a chance that the snorkel use might drive front end elevation again, despite your new balance awareness.

My take on things is that the balance is a more fundamental skill to work on, more so than the verticality of the forearms in catch and stroke, which admittedly is an issue with your current form; but even if you get a lot more transmitted propulsion power, currently, all that power would get eaten up by drag of your back-end through the water.

I am still working on my own balance, and it seems that every little thing has a tendency to disrupt everything I've learned to keep my front end flat, not rising even the tiniest bit, and my back end not sinking down again.
Old 02-12-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Excellent sclim - balance is priority, depth of spearing arm is not unless it rises above the lungs that causes the hips to drop more. I think I would only add, lean into or press (down) on armpit (or press on front of lung ball) to bring the hips up a bit more, and continue to work on timing from the hips or center.

Ollie: Given you started in Dec and took a workshop - wow! Nice work!! You certainly have all the elements there and are on your way to continuous improvement *and* awareness. What was the final feedback from Coach when reviewing your video from the last pool session? What priorities and focal points were given to work on for the next few weeks?

Stuart