Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009

bartp
Default Trouble breathing b/c of horizontal sinking

I am a lean 6'4" man, have done TI for 5 years, am a mid/front pack swimmer, and believe I have good TI form. My one major problem is that, although swimming horizontally, i sink which makes breathing difficult. This is clear from the shark fin drill where my elbow almost disappears under water while still being horizontal. To compensate i have developed the bad habit of dropping my lead hand early and pushing it down slightly to make myself surface faster for every breath. Works great except every third stroke is inefficient. I have been working on not dropping the lead hand but the result is that I cannot get high enough out of the water to get a good breath. My head positioning is good and I am rolling to the breath (breathing with my bellybutton). Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 10-11-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp View Post
I am a lean 6'4" man, have done TI for 5 years, am a mid/front pack swimmer, and believe I have good TI form. My one major problem is that, although swimming horizontally, i sink which makes breathing difficult. This is clear from the shark fin drill where my elbow almost disappears under water while still being horizontal. To compensate i have developed the bad habit of dropping my lead hand early and pushing it down slightly to make myself surface faster for every breath. Works great except every third stroke is inefficient. I have been working on not dropping the lead hand but the result is that I cannot get high enough out of the water to get a good breath. My head positioning is good and I am rolling to the breath (breathing with my bellybutton). Any help would be appreciated!!

If you are dropping the lead hand early then you probably need to work on balance. You could be reaching down too far , rolling to stacked shoulders when you swim and when you go to breathe , or pushing your head down too far. Spear into the water with the hand on track ,roll enough to clear each shoulder, keep the head , neck and spearing arm along with the rest of the body relaxed.Lean in to the water on each armpit as you roll the body as a unit when you breathe and let the head follow the shoulder.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 10-11-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2009

bartp

Thank Dave. I think I may be overrating and even pressing my chest down to hard. I appreciate your feedback and will give it some work.
Old 10-12-2009

rgiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp View Post
Thank Dave. I think I may be overrating and even pressing my chest down to hard. I appreciate your feedback and will give it some work.
I also had this problem when doing drills, what helped me was moving to slightly wider tracks, this I think prevented overrotation.