Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010

meridien96
Default Latest stroke video (V10)

Hi TI community !

After a few month, again, the latest video on my stroke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsDcBDCTm6g

Also I state, that my 13 month TI learning process finally turned into some countable results. My last test over 3000m was a success, it was in the range of my 3000m record from before I started to learn TI (3000 m in 46:02 min in a 25m pool. SPL for that test: 16-17).

My questions:
- some hints for further improvement ?
- can this stroke still be considered as Total Immersion (I have the feeling, I finally became getting faster, after I started to violate some of the TI 'rules')

As always, thanks in advance for any feedback, an keep rolling !
Christian
Old 11-07-2010

andreasl33

A bit of an uphill position esp. on the breathing side, but also on the other:

It also seems to cause (or be caused by) uneven rotation to the sides. The armpit should be the lowest point of the body, the arm about level with the armpit, and a rising bodyline from thereon backwards to the feet. To do this, contract the abdominal muscles to press your upper body down. Contrast it with Shinji:

This posture also helps rotation, because then the axis of rotation will coincide with the spine, making rotation much easier.

Last edited by andreasl33 : 11-07-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-07-2010

andreasl33

If I may add another observation: Your stroke starts a bit abruptly. Try to let your hand and forearm flow slowly into a catch position, so that the catch is established just when the body rotation sets in.
Old 11-07-2010

don h
Default comment on swim video

i agree that you do move abruptly from the extended position.

i do like the long body line, and your 2 bt kick.

you might point your hands and fingers down before starting back. anyway, make sure the first "force" applied sends your head and upper body forward, not up. you might combine this idea with the idea of breathing with one goggle out of the water.

don h
Old 11-08-2010

mjm
Default Legs low, wrist bent

Mer:

I like your stroke but agree with Andreas--you legs are low. See attachment to see just how low they go. I agree also with Andreas about using abdominal muscles. However, I find I also need to use back muscles to get my legs up. Sometimes thinking about squeezing my legs together helps access the necessary muscles.

The second attachment shows your wrist bent at 90 degrees during the initial catch phase. Though your catch starts early and your elbow is not dropped this wrist angle reduces the potential catch area of your forearm and hand. Picky, I know, but swimming is all about the little things. Straighten out that wrist.

Lastly, you breathe only to the right side. Your rotation to that side is pretty good but not as good as on the left. If you agree that symmetry is a good thing in swimming then develop that left side breathing. --mjm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legs low.jpg (39.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg wrist bent.jpg (32.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-08-2010

millertime

To improve your balance, you might try a more neutral head position - that is, looking straight down instead of forward. You might find better relaxation if you extend your lead arm on somewhat more of a downward angle.
Old 11-09-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

REview this video you posted awhile ago and compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9C8D..._order&list=UL

Since then you have eliminated your dropped elbow, but replaced it with a jerky stat to your catch. It appears to me that your decelerate significantly just prior to beginning your catch which starts in a jerky manner & initiated with a severely bent wrist before it straigthens out.

One thing that has WORSENED since that video is your horizotal position in the water. In the video I liknked to above, your horizotal position is much better than in the current video.

Frequently when people work harder, to try and go faster, they swim with less grace. Try keeping the improvements you've made while trying to regain the better points from the previous video.
-hips were closer to the surface
-arms were spearing lower, not reaching towards the surface
-head was down more than currently.

Good luck
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-09-2010

quad09
Default Go Back Young Man Go Back!

All of the response threads are right on, however, CoachSuzanne has hit the nail on the head. The video of your older stroke looks so much better. Work on the flow of your catch, breath to both sides, stay flatter in the water and praise God for what you have accomplished. It's like the State Troopers say "speed kills". Keep that fluid technique going and the speed will come.

Great work!!!
Old 11-09-2010

meridien96

Hello !

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate ! No offense, but I'd like to discuss on some things...

I admit following issues:
- wrist bend when I start stroke
- stroke start too abruptly
Maybe this comes from intension, to do a higher stroke rate. Will focus more on smoother beginning, without bend writst.

- uphill position
Ok, when I don't focus, I do this. Maybe breathing is easier breathing for me (with 'old stroke' V07 I sometimes had problems getting enaugh air, espacially in a short 25m pool). Will try to improve that again.

- anchor deeply with arm
This is one of the things I changed intensionally. Reason is, I found out that I wasted a lot of energy on the 'mail slot entry' and on the rotation, with my arm already into the water (e.g. on V07 Suzanne mentions). Entering as far from the head as possible (and maybe not so deep as before) made my stroke flatter, rotation easier and also got me more air to breathe.

- core strength/high hips
What I start to understand right now is, that the problems to keep up my TI stroke for a long distance (e.g. 3000m) was also caused by keeping the core and legs in a strained position. Now I sacrifice the high hips and legs for a more relaxed position in water, also leaving me with more air.

When I see videos of Hackett and Thorpe, they don't 'spear deep' and at some points also 'swim uphill'. But they are fast as hell.

I know that V07 looks better, but it was slow. V10 is much much faster. I wanted to change my stroke in some more competitive swimming, and I succeeded. I'd rather be fast, than winning a beauty price for my slow, graceful stroke.

Christian
Old 11-09-2010

splashingpat
Default i don't mess with guys like you! & cute back dipples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridien96 View Post
Hello !

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate !
No offense, but I'd like to discuss on some things...

I admit following issues:
- wrist bend when I start stroke
- stroke start too abruptly

Maybe this comes from intention, to do a higher stroke rate
Will focus more on smoother beginning, without bend wrist.

- uphill position
OK, when I don't focus, I do this. Maybe breathing is easier breathing for me
(with 'old stroke' V07 I sometimes had problems getting enough air,
especially in a short 25m pool). Will try to improve that again.

- anchor deeply with arm
This is one of the things I changed intentionally. Reason is, I found out that
I wasted a lot of energy on the 'mail slot entry' and on the rotation,
with my arm already into the water (e.g. on V07 Suzanne mentions).
Entering as far from the head as possible (and maybe not so deep as before)
made my stroke flatter, rotation easier and also got me more air to breathe.

- core strength/high hips
What I start to understand right now is, that
the problems to keep up my TI stroke for a long distance (e.g. 3000m)
was also caused by keeping the core and legs in a strained position. Now I sacrifice
the high hips and legs for a more relaxed position in water, also leaving me with more air.

When I see videos of Hackett and Thorpe,
they don't 'spear deep' and at some points also 'swim uphill'.
But they are fast as hell.

I know that V07 looks better, but it was slow. V10 is much much faster.
I wanted to change my stroke in some more competitive swimming, and
I succeeded. I'd rather be fast, than winning a beauty price for my slow, graceful stroke.

Christian
Christian

KEEP US UPDATED

Last edited by splashingpat : 11-10-2010 at 01:04 PM.