Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010

meridien96
Default Need help again on ny TI stroke (video)

Hi TI community !

After several month on training, I think I could further improve my TI freestyle. The video we recorded yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9C8D-GiiOo

Any suggestions and opinions are welcome. Thanks already !
- what do I still do wrong with my stroke ?
- what do I have to do to be able to swim faster now, e.g. on a 1,500 meters race ?

background:
- started learning TI october last year
- now ~ 3 training sessions per a week, ~ 1,500 meters per session, though in several 'addiction weeks' it was up to 10,000 meters a week
- have a 'stroke count' watch and a 'tempo training' which I both use in training.

Thanks,
Christian
Old 06-20-2010

flppr

looks really good to me. very relaxed and balanced.
Old 06-20-2010

flppr

ps: the only areas that don't look as relaxed are your head extensors and shoulder flexors.
Old 06-20-2010

andreasl33

- you drop the elbow in the first part of the stroke, till it gets to about shoulder-level

- right leg is bent, when you breathe to the right
- overreaching entry, this might contribute to the dropped elbow, since the body starts to rotate pretty late.
- head is not horizontal when breathing but slightly raised

Generally, it looks quite good!

Last edited by andreasl33 : 06-20-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2010

KatieK

Hi Christian,
Your stroke looks really good. Very fluid, good balance, high hips, hips and shoulders rotate as a unit. Nice work! I wish my stroke were as good. A few things I did notice, though:

1.) There's a little splash when your hands enter the water. I am guessing this is caused by stiff fingers, hands and wrists.
2.) You're not spearing as deeply on the left side. The spearing depth on the right side looks better.
3.) Your fingers and wrist tip up when you're in skating position. See :08 and :22. (Your right fingers are also tipping up in the still andreasl33 posted.)
4.) In general, your catch looks a little awkward (1:03). As andreasl33 already mentioned, the main problem is a dropped elbow. I'll be interested to see what feedback others have about how to improve this.

(BTW, andreasl33, how did you embed that still from the video? Very cool.)

Best,
Katie
Old 06-21-2010

andreasl33

Quote:
(BTW, andreasl33, how did you embed that still from the video? Very cool.
1. Download the video using http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php or similar services
2. Watch the video in smplayer (using the "." key, you can view it frame by frame)
3. Make a screen shot using ALT + Prt Scr
4. Import the screen shot into an image editing program, e. g. Irfanview
5. crop the image
6. save it
7. upload it to Google Picasa, or similar websites
8. get the direct URL to the image and insert it into your post
Old 06-21-2010

meridien96

Thanks !

- dropped ellbow: I agree. Had a surgery in the left ellbow 2 month ago, maybe I dragged in some muscular dysbalance in from that
- the overreaching is something I noticed, too. Especially on the left side. Will work on that
- bent leg: I agree
- head not horizontal: this was worse before, I'm already doing what I can, but I see there is place for further improvement
- I also noticed, that the recovery is splashy sometimes, not sure how I can avoid this. Maybe it's just a question of further training
Old 06-21-2010

andreasl33

Quote:
- dropped ellbow: I agree. Had a surgery in the left ellbow 2 month ago, maybe I dragged in some muscular dysbalance in from that
Maybe, but you drop the right elbow, too:

Old 06-21-2010

haschu33

Nice stroke, balance and rhythm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasl33 View Post
Maybe, but you drop the right elbow, too:
Yes, looks like both elbows drop, the left more than the right. Actually you miss almost the entire catch through dropping elbow and arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridien96 View Post
I don't think it is a problem of the elbow, your elbow can bend, obviously. If it is a physical problem, it is more likely linked to the shoulder, not to the elbow.
I think you just need to put your focus on keeping the elbow high. For me it works when I focus in catch and pull on the wrist instead of the hand.

Good work, hang on in there!

andreasl33: cool work with the pics, that is very helpful :-)
Old 06-21-2010

terencechi

Impressive control on body balance. I noticed your dropped elbow. You actually can swim very fast effortlessly if you master the EVF catch.

Your catch is too late and insufficient, this might stemmed from your will to keep the gliding as long as possible. As a generall principle, catch shall be performed on your side before the rotation start. To rectify your dropped elbow, you may want to try a very early catch. After you master the catch, rectified your problem and drastically improved the stroke efficiency, you can then delay the catch little by little to ensure stoke efficiency while maximize the gliding ability.

To achieve a good time in 1500m, you need to switch your style a little bit toward competitive swimming. It is not far from the TI. Just a little step forward - only use the meanful gliding and make your stoke more continuously to achieve constant speed travel, rather than accelerate and decelerate in cycle. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to increase your stroke rate. But more importantly, to connect your strokes more smoothly rather than dead gliding. This is also the spirit of TI, now the TI is also named as perpetual motion freestyle.

I also posted some details about the EVF catch in another thread today. The EVF catch has nothing to do with the elbow itself, but flexibility on your shoulder, back and side torso. You may want to check it out.

Also, in contrast to your photo above, I think it is good for you to see what Popov do at the same position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popov.JPG (9.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by terencechi : 06-21-2010 at 06:59 PM.