Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010

KatieK
Default TI Beginner - Need Advice

Hi All,
I love TI!!! When I first got the DVD, I was good at breaststroke, but I could barely do two splashy, struggling laps of freestyle. After about six months of practice, I can easily do a (very slow) mile or two.

If anyone is willing to take a look at my technique, I would appreciate it. I've posted two videos. The first is really short, but the camera angle is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8iDeLlUbc The second is much longer, but not as good of an angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54XJs3O1-4

This are the issues I'm aware of:
1.) I'm lifting my head to breather. I've been working on letting the water support my head when I breathe. That's helped quite a bit, but I'm not there yet.
2.) I'm veering off to the side, especially in the first video where I don't have a line to guide me. I also notice this problem in skating and core balance, especially with left shoulder down. I've been working to correct that, but not having much success.
3.) My lead hand moves to the center when I breathe. I'm currently working on this by practicing advanced breathing in skating.
4.) Pausing before my hand re-enters the water, especially on the left side. I'm aware of this on every stroke, but I don't know how to correct it. I think this may be related to my kick--I have bad knees, and I'm really careful not to hurt them while kicking. That pause might happen when I hesitate on the kick.
5.) My legs look splayed on the kick.

Thanks!!!
Katie
Old 02-07-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default The Kick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
If anyone is willing to take a look at my technique, I would appreciate it. I've posted two videos. The first is really short, but the camera angle is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8iDeLlUbc The second is much longer, but not as good of an angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54XJs3O1-4
In the first video... Your legs seem to move together at times instead of alternating, which is totally valid and "legal" but maybe not what you're shooting for(?).

Your arm stroke is very nice and smooth. The entry seems totally clean. Recovery looks great.

In the second video... The kick! On one side you scissor with both legs. On the other side you move both legs together. So to break it all down to what I personally think you should work on... The kick!

Perhaps try a pull buoy or swimming without overtly kicking for a length or so.

Again, the arm stroke is beautiful.
Old 02-07-2010

shuumai

Quote:
I have bad knees, and I'm really careful not to hurt them while kicking.
Ah, is that from doing breaststroke? The good news is that your 2-beat kick can be very small and light when it's timed well. Just don't think of kicking for propulsive force. The kick can be used to just help you to rotate, balance, and stay in line. As was mentioned in another thread, you could even think of the kick--or the foot itself--as an anchor point.

(I didn't read your own observations until after I formed my own views so I wouldn't be influenced by them.)
Old 02-07-2010

flppr

your stroke looks amazing for 6 mos. so relaxed, effortless and balanced. might try putting more force behind the spear and keeping feet together when not kicking.
Old 02-07-2010

westyswoods

Katieak,

Thanks for the video. Stroke looks very fluid and smooth nice job. You have already noted lower half needs work. I have been working on trying to develop the two beat kick with very little leg movement. One of the suggestions posted on this forum is to swim with no use of legs or just locking them tight together. This can be done using a pull boy or taking a leap of fate and seeing if you can maintain balance without. When legs start to sink if they do just flick the leg and foot slightly. Easier said than done but I am getting better with it patience is the key.

Westy
Old 02-08-2010

KatieK
Default Two-beat kick

Thanks to all for the feedback and encouragement!

I am a little stumped on the two-beat kick. I don't have any trouble when I'm using a flutter kick in the drills. I'm also able to swim just fine without kicking at all. Where I get into trouble is when I'm actively trying to do a good two-beat kick.

I'm paranoid about hurting my knees on that kick. The flutter kick doesn't hurt my knees at all, but I definitely feel sore if I bend my knees when attempting a two-beat kick.

Here's what I think is happening: When my recovery arm is about to enter the water, I want to kick with the opposite leg. But, that leg is in the low position, so I'd be kicking upwards. That seems unnatural, so I raise my leg a little to position it for a downward kick. Then I kick my straight leg.

In the DVD, I can see that Terry is bending the knee of his lower leg before kicking into the hip drive. Since I am able to bend my knees on the flutter kick without hurting myself, I *should* be able to bend my knee on this kick as well. However, something about my position during the two-beat kick puts additional pressure on my knee.

I know the look of my stroke will improve if I just don't kick at all rather than doing what I'm doing. But is that a real improvement or just cosmetic?

Thanks,
Katie
Old 02-08-2010

shuumai

Quote:
Here's what I think is happening: When my recovery arm is about to enter the water, I want to kick with the opposite leg. But, that leg is in the low position, so I'd be kicking upwards. That seems unnatural, so I raise my leg a little to position it for a downward kick. Then I kick my straight leg.

I know the look of my stroke will improve if I just don't kick at all rather than doing what I'm doing. But is that a real improvement or just cosmetic?
Not kicking can lead to a real improvement. There should be a point at which your legs naturally want to kick. That's what you want to find.

You can either look at it as either opposite-hand-entry/opposite-leg-kick, or same-side-pull/same-side-kick. Some people find the same-side thinking easier to coordinate.

Your opposite leg should automatically raise to kicking position as you kick with the other leg and rotate.

One more thing. The 2-beat kick is the same as a 6-beat kick with the intermediate kicks taken out. Your kick shouldn't be much different from the flutter that your knee can handle.

Last edited by shuumai : 02-08-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2010

flppr

actually, since you kick so much less with a 2bk than a flutter, its a lot less stressful on your knees. the 2bk provides like 10 or 15% of your propulsion force, much less than arms and trunk, so its not a big deal, but it does help. i started by exaggerating the kick with around 90 degrees of knee flexion. over time, i refined it closer to a flick. its a process, like everything else. when i first started salsa dancing, i couldn't figure out that weird cuban motion thing they did with their knees. then one day, it just clicked. i'm sure the same thing will happen with your 2bk.
add: the kick helps me with trunk rotation/weight shift.

Last edited by flppr : 02-08-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2010

KatieK
Default Improvement on kicking

Thanks so much for the advice! I did two sessions keeping my feet together and trying not to kick at all. That felt a little strange--slow and stiff. But it helped because then when my legs started wanting to kick on their own, I was able to do gentler, more supple kick.

Thinking of the two-beat kick as the same as the flutter kick really helped, Shuumai. I let my knee relax in advance of the kick. That let me kick with slightly bent legs without putting stress on my knee.
Old 02-09-2010

lynncohen
Default Kicking

I too have been struggling with the 2 beat kick. Today I tried using the pull boy, and it was really wonderful, but then when I got rid of it, I couldn't sustain the floating feeling. I feel like my legs will just sink and bring me down if I stop kicking....it's very frustrating.