Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010

meridien96
Default My Total Immersion Style V03

Hi !

Same for me, after learning Total Immersion now for ~ 3-4 month I managed to do a recording, unfortunately not from under water yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhiUfpenyCk

- what am I doing wrong (I imagine that it is a lot...) ?
- how are the directions from here (focus on improving technics, or more swimming)
- I noticed I have a hard time when I try to fasten my stroke rate. What can be the cause for it ?

My normal training is ~ 20 x 100m, where I try to manage as less strokes as possible, without slowing down the rhythm too much. Since 3 month I do ~ 20 k/month (2-3 times a week). Few weeks I did a 3000m test (~3300 yards), which took me 47 minutes.

Any help and directions will be highly appreciated !

Thanks,
Christian
Old 01-13-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridien96 View Post
Hi !

Same for me, after learning Total Immersion now for ~ 3-4 month I managed to do a recording, unfortunately not from under water yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhiUfpenyCk

- what am I doing wrong (I imagine that it is a lot...) ?
- how are the directions from here (focus on improving technics, or more swimming)
- I noticed I have a hard time when I try to fasten my stroke rate. What can be the cause for it ?

My normal training is ~ 20 x 100m, where I try to manage as less strokes as possible, without slowing down the rhythm too much. Since 3 month I do ~ 20 k/month (2-3 times a week). Few weeks I did a 3000m test (~3300 yards), which took me 47 minutes.

Any help and directions will be highly appreciated !

Thanks,
Christian
Your 3000m test sounds like it was about 21.5s per 25 yards (converted to American numbers with simple maths). That's respectable and much better than I could do. At the same time, you wanted to hear about something you could improve so I found something! hehe

Your streamlined posture during push-off is a bit banana-like. Maybe you could shave off that 0.5s by straightening out a little. (Is it possible?) That could add up to 1 minute over 3281 yards.
Old 01-13-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post

Your streamlined posture during push-off is a bit banana-like. Maybe you could shave off that 0.5s by straightening out a little. (Is it possible?) That could add up to 1 minute over 3281 yards.
I was just going to say the same Shumaai. Also, breathing bi-lateral will really help with a more symmetrical stroke. And - as I've been saying - lead with your elbow on abive the water recovery and not your hand, :)

Naji
Old 01-14-2010

meridien96

Hi shuumai & naj !

Thanks for your response so far !

- when I started TI, my personal best with normal freestyle stroke was a little below 44 min, reason to start TI was, to take a few minutes off from this. As far I think my TI progress is ok, hope to reach that target in maybe another 1/2 year.
- the ellbow hint makes sense, will try to focus better in my future swims
- bilateral breathing is what I tried before, but when I need ~ 13 strokes (7 times breathing/length) in 22 sec with flip turn, I can't breathe often enough when I switch the breathing side during a pool length. Doesn't someone else have the same problem ??!
- the banana form make sense, also. But, what to really do on this ? I noticed I was unstable in the hips in my normal stroke before, in fact it was much worse. Some kind of body core strength training ?! Or just trying to get a better balance ?
Old 01-14-2010

Richardsk

Instead of regular bilateral breathing ( every three) you can breathe to one side for one length and then toi the other side for the next length. Or if you prefer, breathe to one side for half a length and then switch to the other. You get more air that way and it's good for the symmetry of your stroke.
Old 01-14-2010

Rhoda

Looks pretty good to me. Learning bilateral breathing might even your stroke out a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with it.
Old 01-14-2010

BlueSpark
Default Reaching too far?

Hello Christian,

I have been doing TI for about the same amount of time as you, although unlike you I was not a swimmer at all before starting TI. I mention this so that you know that I am far, far, far from being an expert about swimming.

That said, though, I have watched the TI DVD a lot and it seems that you might be overreaching a bit. As far as I can tell from the overhead angle, your hand seems to enter the water (at least sometimes) very far in front of your head. As I understand things, overreaching leads to fatigue and robs your body rotation of some of its propulsive power.

Perhaps someone with more experience analyzing these things could take a look? Is there an overreaching issue?
Old 01-14-2010
dinah

[quote=splashingpat;8477]your banana form comes from the pulling
ONLY ANCHOR AND NO PULLING
you want to change to end forward and
streamline into the glide!

christian, i see what splashingpat is saying. occasionally your spearing hand leads the way thru the pull, which then pulls your shoulder down and gets you off balance. then you have to use your body to bend to readjust your balance. i think this may detract from keeping long and streamlined and is causing the banana form.

so then as splashingpat says, if you end forward into the glide, let the hand drop (not the elbow) and feel the water on your palm, then as you rotate back around the pull will take care of itself and hopefully you will have better balance.

i dont know if that makes any sense whatsoever. this is my first post and it is waaaay harder to write an explanation that i ever would have thought!

dinah
Old 01-17-2010

flppr

overall, it looks good, like you are doing a lot well.
what i noticed:
-looks like your head is rotated upward often, which causes your back to hyperextend. when you put your head down, your back flattens out. could try a little posterior pelvic tilt.
-your elbows are almost fully extended when your hands enter the water.
-when you rotate to breathe, you also side bend your neck to the same side, and your body then side bends, too.
-your kick looks like its coming from your hips, kinda scissor-ish.
i'm just a novice at this, so consider the source.

Last edited by flppr : 01-17-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2010

hamiltonmm
Default Finger tip drag drill

Very much the novice here, but I think the fingertip drag drill would help. Mary Jo Ferris demonstrates such on Youtube.com. Your arm seems to leave the water.
Again, just a novice here. Please do what works for you. TI isn't about concentrating on the arms at all. That's the danger of specific arm drills.

Last edited by hamiltonmm : 01-17-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: neww thoughts to add