Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010

don h
Default coach eric/glide, switch, and recover/equal time

coach eric,

this is an intriguing idea, which i am going to experiment with. i have been experimenting with fast recovery to "put the pedal to the metal" sooner, before i decelerate more during the glide. this, on the assumption that even tho' the glide may feel fast, you are actually slowing down every moment you glide. i don't know what my "ratios" have been, but my thinking has been that i want to have a long and patient "pull" and then recover quickly to begin the next stroke while still gliding relatively fast.

a definitional question? my thinking has been that the glide and recovery occur at the same, i.e., from the end of the stroke, until the stroking hand reenters at the end of recovery, and other hand starts back. can you clarify the "line" between recovery and glide in your discussion?

i would be very interested to have further discussion and elaboration of the concept in your last post about equal ratio between glide, switch, and recovery.

don h

Last edited by don h : 03-05-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-05-2010

jverdura
Default Working hard for speed

I am relatively new to swim training, I'm 42 and have not swam competitively since high school!! I started swimming again 2 months ago and was able to complete half mile in just under 15 minutes, but was pretty tired after that, it took a lot to complete the second half mile of my routine. After reading the first 3 chapters of the book, I went to the pool to experiment with rolling, balance, keeping myself "long", pushing the buoy, etc. I finished the half mile in the same time, but I kept going another whole mile without rest and without decreasing my time. I was amazed!!
I can't wait to go back to the pool today to make sure it was not a fluke or that it was not all in my head.
Javier
Old 03-05-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

don,
I should have said switch, "pull", and recover.