Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010
Banned

Lawrence
Default How long does it take?

I've been learning TI freestyle for a year and feel I'm making good progress. I'm so taken with it that we're getting our own Endless Pool later this year, mostly because I think that will accelerate improvement but also because I don't like cold water.

But I've been wondering for the whole year: how long has it taken people here to feel they've nailed the stroke, if practising only in a conventional pool or in open water?
Old 02-21-2010

westyswoods

Lawrence,

I doubt that you will find a single answer, we all have different ways of learning and even more critical is, "What is ones perception of nailing the stroke?" I've been working with TI for two plus years and recently felt I had come to a point where there was not going to be any improvement unless I had one on one coaching. I knew the basics, have done all the drills practiced endless hours with patience, something was missing.
I couldn't find that seamless fishlike balance. After reading hundreds of threads on this forum and other in search of what was lacking I sought out both the video coaching and TI coaching one on one. One week ago I made the trek to Lake Placid for five days of individual coaching. Coach Shane had video coached me in January and was also TI coach in Lake Placid. The Endless Pool was used with two sessions in a regular pool. I was apprehensive as to how the Endless would work but am now a firm believer in that for a coaching and learning environment it is the only was to go. You have instant video feedback and the water temp is warm enough to sustain longer sessions.

Through the week I was able to feel good about the basics that I have picked up and worked on. The other side of the coin is that with those basic drills Coach Shane pointed to some serious deficiencies that need correction. Nuances that I never would have been able to pick up without being shown hands on. I was able to hit them a couple of time and that moment of "nailing the stroke" was there. Through the week we worked on three or four threads that will dramatically move me toward that goal you speak of and I seek. I'm home now and will go to the pool tomorrow practicing and ingraining some more pieces of the puzzle.

I often read on these forums how people get it in one month, six months ..... all I can say is great for them. I am not one of them and I am very happy with the fact that I've found this philosophy of constant improvement.
Old 02-21-2010

forests
Default TI Progress Timetable

Lawrence,
I've been at it for about 10 months. My wife thinks I'm obsessed with TI, the way I study the films and read the forums. I did drills exclusively for 2 months and then mixed in some whole stroke. For the last couple of months, I really feel like I've grasped the main concepts; balance, streamlining, glide and finally breathing without hurrying. My SPL is 13 for 25 yds. and I'm working to improve that. My body build is similar to yours, 6' 170 lbs. I'm thinking about getting a Tempo Trainer but the battery seems to have limited life. In summary, the stroke feels good but I'm used to swimming intervals (50's & 100's) so the distance is yet to come.
Old 02-21-2010

daveblt

I've been doing TI for over 14 years and am still not satisfied .Have I nailed down the strokes? Yes , pretty much ( except butterfly ) I should be happy, but still I'm always trying to improve and fine tune my strokes every time I swim . The book extraordinary swimming on page 152 raises a question , How long will it take until your stroke is perfect and permanent? The rest of your life! You can continue improving endlessly.It could take anywhere from several months to a few years or so before you know you've pretty much, GOT IT.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 02-21-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2010

jimsandi
Default How long does it take?

I am a 63 year old male swimmer. I never swam as a child. Just played in the pool. I started to learn to swim a couple of years ago and was making absolutley no progress at all. I was able to, through shear determination, to swim a mile in a 25 yard pool, but it was very difficult.
My daughter suggested six months ago to look into Total Immersion. I have been working on it since then and just this week feel I have made a breakthrough.
I typically swim six times a week.
Yesterday was my morning and evening swim.
I have been working on relaxing and letting my chest support me.
It finally clicked in!
Last night I felt I could swim a mile easy!
I only quit because I was late for spin class but I was able to do 50 laps in a 20 yard pool.
This all happended so suddenly that I was just amazed.
My stroke count was terrible but I think I can work to improve that over time.
Previously I was so concerned about getting my count down that I wasn't relaxing. I just put the count thing out of my head and relaxed. It felt wonderful and I can't wait to swim again.
Old 02-25-2010

Edd78

Quote:
Originally Posted by forests View Post
Lawrence,
I've been at it for about 10 months. My wife thinks I'm obsessed with TI, the way I study the films and read the forums.
I can totally connect with this, once you grasp TI swimming it becomes a passion. I can't help thinking about the things I need to work on, the drills I should focus on etc.
I'm aslo applying what Terry says when resting during drills, ie I'm now watching others to see what they do that works and what doesn't.

But to answers Lawrence I think the TI philosophy is about always trying to improve, so if you are happy with your hand entry, it might be your thrust you want to work on, or making your arm and shoulder create less resistance or turbulence if you want to fine tune, work on your rythm, all part of the stroke, and once you change something you might have to readjust the others, so it is really in essence endless progress in perspective. As you grow older you'll have to compensate power with even better technique, once again progress awaiting ^^.
Old 02-25-2010

mrauth

I asked the same question after 3.5 months of TI (you can see the responses I got by searching on this forum). It has now been 7 months and I have a clearer answer to this question for me. It depends partly on your goals. For me it was to feel more comfortable swimming and to improve my stroke for Triathlons. TI has has helped me immensely to reach these goals. I swam a mile in the ocean this week and I could have gone much further - all because of TI. I will enjoy the swimming portion of my Triathlon in May and I never would have said that last year after struggling to finish 1/2 mile distances.

As people have responded, this is on going. You hope to continue to improve and enjoy the experience. Along the way, set a big goal and go for it. You can then enjoy the satisification of having made improvement and accomplished more than you thought was possible.
Old 02-26-2010

don h
Default benefit of seeing a coach

i started studying ti from books and videos in fall of '06. i learned a great deal, without ever seeing a coach. in the fall of 2009, i had 4 sessions with a usatriathlon-certified coach.

after seeing a coach, and seeing film of my swimming (i was actually pretty bad, altho' i talked a pretty good game of ti), i have had very accelerated improvement. this particular coach is not a ti coach, and thinks ti is "slow." however, what has happened is that i have taken what i learned from the coach and incorporated it into ti.

my opinion, then, is that seeing a good coach, and getting objective input into what you are doing, and need to do, and especially seeing some film (and seeing the truth) is invaluable for accelerated improvement.

don h
Old 02-26-2010

sdasch
Default Just gettting started

I'm a 57-year-old femail and just signed up for NYC triathalon. I'm not an "athlete" but I'm in pretty good shape and in good health. I'm reading the book but haven't started swimming yet. I am not a total newbie, I swam alot as a kid for fun but never competitively. I guess I'm worried about trying to incorporate everything in the book when I get to the pool. Do you keep the book on the side of the pool and stop and read it when you're ready to go to the next drill? Is it worth buying the video? I'm on a pretty tight budget...
Old 02-26-2010

don h
Default get the dvd

you would benefit greatly from the dvd "easy freestyle," not just books.

don h