Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I did two sessions keeping my feet together and trying not to kick at all. That felt a little strange--slow and stiff. But it helped because then when my legs started wanting to kick on their own, I was able to do gentler, more supple kick.

Thinking of the two-beat kick as the same as the flutter kick really helped, Shuumai. I let my knee relax in advance of the kick. That let me kick with slightly bent legs without putting stress on my knee.
Niiiice. It's great to hear updates like yours.
Old 02-12-2010

don h
Default swimming of katiek

nice swimming, and very nice pool. i'd like to join you, but i'm in icy missouri right now.

i notice that when you kick with your right leg, it is flared out behind you fairly far. you might want to kick a little "tighter." also, it appears that the "downbeat" with the right leg (i don't see this when you kick with the left leg) occurs when you are still somewhat on your side.

i interpret terry's discussion of this issue to be that the action of the downbeat should be more vertical, and should occur during the latter part of the pull. his discussion at the "outside the box:open water swimming" forum, on page 4, "chapter 6-how to kick in open water-parts 1 & 2" is excellent.

anyway, you might want to experiment with "firing" the downbeat with the right leg just a little later.

your swimming is very nice, and i love your pool.

don h
Old 02-12-2010

KatieK
Default Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by don h View Post
nice swimming, and very nice pool. i'd like to join you, but i'm in icy missouri right now.

i notice that when you kick with your right leg, it is flared out behind you fairly far. you might want to kick a little "tighter." also, it appears that the "downbeat" with the right leg (i don't see this when you kick with the left leg) occurs when you are still somewhat on your side.

i interpret terry's discussion of this issue to be that the action of the downbeat should be more vertical, and should occur during the latter part of the pull. his discussion at the "outside the box:open water swimming" forum, on page 4, "chapter 6-how to kick in open water-parts 1 & 2" is excellent.

anyway, you might want to experiment with "firing" the downbeat with the right leg just a little later.

your swimming is very nice, and i love your pool.

don h
Thanks for the suggestion--I'll try it. Where is the discussion you're referring to?

I have a special place in my heart for Icy Missouri--I'm from St. Louis. That is my neighborhood pool in Scottsdale, AZ. It was 46 degrees outside that morning, but they keep the water nice and warm. Scottsdale is a swimmer's paradise--the city has three public aquatic centers with Olympic-size or bigger heated pools, $2 drop-in fee.
Old 02-12-2010

don h
Default where is the discussion

katie,

the discussion about "vertical" downbeat is in the article cited in my note to you. he has mentioned "vertical" downbeat in other materials, too. still impressed with your swimmers' paradise. i'm in farmington,mo. feel free to e-mail me any time: donnyjoehager@hotmail.com

don h
Old 02-12-2010

KatieK
Default Can't find the article

Quote:
Originally Posted by don h View Post
don h
Sorry, I'm not finding this. I have the DVD and the e-book, but neither has a chapter six. Help!
Thanks,
Katie
Old 02-13-2010

don h
Default not trying to make you feel foolish

katie,

when you go to the freestyle forum on this website, two lines down there is the "Outside the box:open water swimming" forum. at that "forum" terry's article was on p. 4 as of yesterday.

not trying to make you feel foolish, really not.

don h