Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010

meridien96

Didn't have the time to swim the last few weeks, so the underwater video (recorded today) should represent pretty much the same style as my last video (which had 'label' V03):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcsgLqZ3g0

My experience is, not to keep an eye on each and every issues, but pick the 2-3 most important. Everything (hopefully) will change anyway when there are improvements on them:
- Anchor more wide (outside of body line), instead of pulling with arms under my body
- keep the head in 'laser beam' form, at least when not breathing, instead of bending the head as now. When I began with TI, I had problems breathing, so I lended the breathing pattern from my 'legacy' freestyle. I understand this will improve the banana form, though I'm sure my body is a bit build like this. So at least I want to be a fast banana ;-)
- Overreaching, I'll try to do more the 'mailbox entry' instead of diving into the water will almost extended arms.
- (less important) try to keep legs more stiff behind body instead of letting them so much loose then now.

If anybody should be interested in the improvement compared to my freestyle before I started TI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXY9LVZquk0
(that recording is 3 years old)
In spite of the important things above on my list, the difference I find is already rather impressing.

Thanks again for your feedback/comments !

Last edited by meridien96 : 02-06-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridien96 View Post
Didn't have the time to swim the last few weeks, so the underwater video (recorded today) should represent pretty much the same style as my last video (which had 'label' V03):

My experience is, not to keep an eye on each and every issues, but pick the 2-3 most important. Everything (hopefully) will change anyway when there are improvements on them:
- Anchor more wide (outside of body line), instead of pulling with arms under my body
- keep the head in 'laser beam' form, at least when not breathing, instead of bending the head as now. When I began with TI, I had problems breathing, so I lended the breathing pattern from my 'legacy' freestyle. I understand this will improve the banana form, though I'm sure my body is a bit build like this. So at least I want to be a fast banana ;-)
- Overreaching, I'll try to do more the 'mailbox entry' instead of diving into the water will almost extended arms.
- (less important) try to keep legs more stiff behind body instead of letting them so much loose then now.

If anybody should be interested in the improvement compared to my freestyle before I started TI:
In spite of the important things above on my list, the difference I find is already rather impressing.

Your right Christian there are huge improvements :) Well done. The only things That I see are to make your legs and whole streamline a bit more "toned" you used the word stiff and I'm not sure that's the best description :) That being said, I'm curious how you feel about your mail-slot entry currently. Still seems like your overreaching and decreasing your SPL. Lastly, working on a solid lead elbow above the water will set-up you up to drive the top hit down and thus produce more forward momentum in your SPL. You'll know when your doing it right when you feel a stretch in your armpit from above water. I've been studying TI for a year and I am by far no expert or even accomplished novice. I'm only pointing out things that I have issues with now and am working on. But I must say, you look relaxed, great head spine alignment and are swimming downhill with those legs and hips riding very high in the water. Keep up the great work!

Naji
Old 02-06-2010

flppr

looks great. huge improvement. nicely done.
Old 02-06-2010

westyswoods

Tremendous improvement. No need to point to what you already are planning on working on. Keep up the good work and thanks for the video.
Old 02-08-2010

meridien96

I post this to let you take part in my success as a feedback to your extensive response on my questions/videos.

This is amazing !!! Saturday morning recorded my swimming, in the afternoon I did a 2 K training. Then sunday evening 2 K training, and immediately afterwards video recording again, and now look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ZoQKDkut4

I know this is is still not perfect, but much better in the 4 issues I wanted to resolve since 2 (!!!) days ago. Wow. Now the next few weeks I will 'just' do training to imprint this to a solid base. After that I'll take and (maybe post) a new underwater video.

Christian
Old 02-08-2010

don h
Default swim meridien 96

in general, you are doing very well. i am wondering if there is not too much tension throughout your back, torso, arms, and legs. it looks as tho there may be. you might experiment with relaxing your neck and "floating" your head, even when you turn your head for air.

you appear to rotate fairly far, something past 45 degrees. you might experiment with something less than 45. this would take less time, and involve less work and energy going to rotation.

keep up the steady improvement.

don h
Old 02-08-2010

splashingpat
Default you are in great shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridien96 View Post

you are in great shape!
so with that said....
i don't want to say anything!
but
instead
if you do n't mind?
does your kick feel connected to your arm spear?
Do you kick first then spear in and glide?

i wish we could be all could be in your shape!
and are you relaxing or
are you still pretty intense?

only questioning you!
i didn't see which one (if there is more than one) was you!

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO!
SPLASH'N'PAT
Old 02-09-2010

RadSwim

This is looking very good. Lots of improvements!

I see a subtle imbalance that attracts my attention, because I am working to correct a similar problem. Watch for this sequence:
1. Right spear deep, pulling head below surface.
2. Turn to breathe with a subtle head lift, needed because the right spear pulls you deep.
3. Left spear shallow, angled up toward the surface, to compensate for the deep head position.
4. Hips drop below surface as head turns back to neutral. (This is subtle uphill swimming.)
5. Right spear deep, pulls head several inches below surface....REPEAT....

Try raising your right target and lowering your left target -- see if breathing gets even easier.

Great work!