Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010

rachapkis
Default Breaking Free?

I have been swimming for a few months with incremental improvements in the distances that I can swim. FWIW, I swim about four to five times per week. Currently, I can swim about 300 meters, then take several breaths, and then swim another 200 meters. My goal is to swim a mile. My question is whether people typically improve their ability to swim further incrementally as they swim more and more, or, if at some point, they "broke free" and are able to swim much futher than they had previously?
Old 01-19-2010

don h
Default breaking free

i am wondering if you are able to swim a few lengths, however slow, with a low heart rate (kind of like slow jogging). if you feel your heartrate getting at all "uncomfortable," slow down until it's comfortable again. if you have the skill level to swim with a low heartrate, do this for 40, or 50, or 60 minutes, until you have swum a mile. congratulations on your breakthrough. now all you have to do is spend the rest of your life learning to swim more efficiently, while you stay within your comfort zone. i'd be interested to hear if you swim your mile.

don h