Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2016

truwani
Default Feedback please

Hello,

I have been concentrating on breathing with lower head, rythm and swimming straight

http://youtu.be/0ubkL2UumkE

I can swim 5k, pretty happy with progress.
feels like pieces that are not bad, but the whole does not feef very connected

What should I focus on next?
Old 10-03-2016

Zenturtle

Looks pretty good.
You rotate a bit too much but you manage to keep the low arm pointing straight forward at the outside of the body and does not really cross the center anywhere. Not so easy with a big roll angle. Do you have good shoulder flexibility?
Your right arm is just crossing the balance line though, at your last stroke coming toward the wall.
Thats a short while where time is waisted to balance on the edge. I think the low side arm should always be so wide that the body is rotated back if you would press down on the water. You are temporary crossing the line where pushing down increases you bodyroll angle.
See at 2min 6. swimming on one side and sculling with the extended hand balancing on your hand on your edge to your feet. Body is straight without twist or bend like in a dryland plank situation. This is your max rotation point and you never roll furher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBb2djmdv0
Your recovery is also at the edge of getting behind the backplane. so you can go a bit wider in the recovery an reduce the roll at the same time.
I see 1 big scissor kick after pushoff, but after that its less as far as I can see.
The hips and the shoulders seem to be doing their own thing a bit to much.
Dont know for sure, but it looks like you can make the connection between shoulders and hips a bit stiffer, to make the vessel move with a bit less twist and bend.The hips seem to roll a touch to much relative to the shoulders, but I am not really sure about this from the available footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-TygMAyvtg.
In general, no mayor negativ items for a TI stroke.
I think you could benefit from trying to swim some laps without any kick (press the legs lightly together) and less bodyrotation to see how it feels.Keep it all a bit tauter and see if that gives a feeling that the strokes transmit more force into forward movement.
If thats ok. add a bit 2BK. That kick will feel super effective.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 10-03-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2016

truwani

Thanks a lot Zenturtle!

To avoid shoulderinjury I daily hang a few minutes at a bar, maybe this also gives shoulderflexibility

I have a small foot injury now, thats why I try not to kick at all and get the max from my hips. Indeed maybe I exagerate, but how do you know if you give enough/too much hipdrive?

Could you please elaborate your point on shoulder-hip connection?
Old 10-03-2016

Zenturtle

Elites roll their shoulders on top of their controlled hip angle.
Sprinters keep their hips more flat and stable and roll more with the shoulders.
When I started swimming I read all those talk about power from the hips etc.
So i started rolling the hips like in the wrong example from the get hips with your hips video. It didnt work.
As far as I can see you are also rotating the hip, but not connected enough with the shoulders.
For beginners its best to start with just connecting the roll angles of shoulders and hips, to make the whole body rotate like one unit.
See from the 40 sec mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5s7QNS40Q
If you can lock the shoulders rotationwise to the hip action, then you can add some extra rotation of the shoulders on top of this hip rotation, but then its a controlled summation of forces, not an unconnected hip shoulder sloppy action.
Its good to first start with a feeling of rolling the body from side to side as a solid unit.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 10-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2016

truwani

At the end of long swims I still get shoulder pain/stifness: to avoid it I try not to overcross and never let the hand go past shoulderplane.

Are there other important points to save the shoulders?

And I am a bit confused on the spearm arm: in the air it has to be ragdoll, in the water weightless. Does this mean that in the water when spearing I should apply to pressure/force at all on my speararm and let it loose?
Old 10-10-2016

WFEGb

Hello truwani,

your first two FPs are very right to save your shoulders.

Quote:
Are there other important points to save the shoulders?
- A somewhat deeper spear, more as setting up the catch at once, might save your shoulders. (Together with "letterbox" a little bit nearer to your head than reaching forward.)

- Never pull. Let your arm flow without any force to catch.

- Hold your stroke featherlight (as Terry often mentions), as if your pain were already there while swimming... Hope these FPs will help pain will never become reality anymore.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 10-14-2016

truwani

Great hint Werner to do as if the pain is already there from the beginning.

Did 6k swim today (personal best!) and only at the end I felt some shoulderpain.

You have summarized it well: keep it as light as possible
Old 10-15-2016

tomoy

Nice patient long distance stroke.

To add to the above, and thinking about shoulder pain, it looks like you're entering your spear thumb down and indeed it looks like the angle of your spear hand is led by your thumb and forefinger. Your wrist is tilted outward. I've seen that recommended some places, but I think it can cause some problems.

Combine that with a little crossover out front, and the very first force you apply will be outward on your shoulder, and that could be causing your pain. A lot of sprinters try to grab more water by sculling outward at the front of their stroke, and it's a recipe for shoulder injury. I see it more on your left (breathing) side.

Rotate a little less, spear in front of or just outside your shoulder, not in front of your head (wider than you are doing now). Then keep your hand on the rail of your shoulder line, not outside. Try to keep your wrist angle straighter instead of bending outward: enter all 5 fingers at the same time. To practice changing the geometry, try to enter pinky first. Palm faces back or a little in. Never outward. If you keep your spear wide, then the only pressure on your shoulder will be down, maybe inward a little and in front of you, which is a safe/stable path.

happy laps!
Old 10-17-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
Nice patient long distance stroke.

To add to the above, and thinking about shoulder pain, it looks like you're entering your spear thumb down and indeed it looks like the angle of your spear hand is led by your thumb and forefinger. Your wrist is tilted outward. I've seen that recommended some places, but I think it can cause some problems.

happy laps!

Truwani, that is a nice cozy pool!

Hi Tomoy,

Just curious what problems do you see this causing, if done correctly?

(This is the 10 degree wrist shift. The objective is to open the axila and then eventually restore the wrist back to level-position before initiating the pull. This way the elbow is still pointing to the pool side.)

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 10-17-2016

tomoy

Not an expert in this regard, but if as you say the wrist is back to level before initiating the pull, I can't see any problem.