Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010

Mike from NS

Shinji, I think what he has accomplished is amazing. Did his learning curve consist of daily practice or only a few times a week. Did he swim before setting out on the TI journey?

And Bill, I see the point of being to travel a length in as few strokes as possible as another type of drill. A drill which teaches control or discipline in forming style and technique. It would seem to me that it is far more challenging to travel so slowly with such control than to swim at a "normal" stroke rate. And if a person has such control at a slow pace, then doesn't it follow that a faster "normal" pace is almost "matter of fact"?

Mike
Old 11-11-2010

FrankJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Shinji, I think what he has accomplished is amazing. Did his learning curve consist of daily practice or only a few times a week. Did he swim before setting out on the TI journey?

And Bill, I see the point of being to travel a length in as few strokes as possible as another type of drill. A drill which teaches control or discipline in forming style and technique. It would seem to me that it is far more challenging to travel so slowly with such control than to swim at a "normal" stroke rate. And if a person has such control at a slow pace, then doesn't it follow that a faster "normal" pace is almost "matter of fact"?

Mike
I think there is a difference between being absorbed in deep, meditative practice, and wasting time with over-analysis. I personally don't see any grace in this exercise. It may be teaching control, but there must be better ways. Drills for one. Thoughtful swimming for another. This is too convoluted for my liking.
Old 11-11-2010
Coach

CoachShinji
Default The purpose of 7 stroke freestyle

His purpose of 7 stroke freestyle is to swim faster with 12-14 strokes.
Once you know the coordination at slower tempo, it is easier and more efficient to swim at faster tempo. So I insist 7 stroke swim is not his goal, for his sake.

You can tell so many detail things when you swim at 1.8-2.0 sec. These insights are very useful when we teach TI swim in Japan.
Freestyle Demo (#2 ranking worldwide on YouTube)
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 11-11-2010
Coach

CoachShinji
Default One more thing

When you want to swim with lower than 10 strokes, acceleration is the key. You will coordinate to enter your hand, snap your foot, rotate your body and spear your hand in the water.

When I synchronized with Coach Dave last month, I used this skill so much to catch up with him. He is much taller than me, he swims fast, and he swims very efficiently. His shoe size is about twice as mine! I tried really hard but it looked so easy.
Freestyle Demo (#2 ranking worldwide on YouTube)
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle
Old 11-11-2010

don h
Default shinji's calm explanation

shinji,

thank you for the calm explanation in the face of such hate speech as "fetishization" and "too convoluted for my liking."

this is beautiful swimming, and is everything about what we do.

don h
Old 11-11-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

shinji, can you please post the video of you and dave synch swimming?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-11-2010

JBeaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by don h View Post
shinji,

thank you for the calm explanation in the face of such hate speech as "fetishization" and "too convoluted for my liking."

this is beautiful swimming, and is everything about what we do.

don h
To call what the gentleman did as "swimming" is a bit of a stretch. The gentleman displays wonderful balance, a nice glide, clean entry on each switch.

The element to make this swimming would be to have him swim with flow. There are too many pauses in the stroke. This video demonstrates various elements TI teaches to have a graceful swim but this is more drilling than swimming.
Old 11-11-2010

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachShinji View Post
His purpose of 7 stroke freestyle is to swim faster with 12-14 strokes.
Once you know the coordination at slower tempo, it is easier and more efficient to swim at faster tempo. So I insist 7 stroke swim is not his goal, for his sake.

You can tell so many detail things when you swim at 1.8-2.0 sec. These insights are very useful when we teach TI swim in Japan.
This is what I was getting at too. Slower takes more control and once contol is established speed is much more easily attained. Don put it well! "this is beautiful swimming, and is everything about what we do."

But clearly there are two schools of thought or preferences here on this.
I have seen people thrashing for speed. Not for me ... but obviously it is for others.
Mike
Old 11-11-2010

cynthiam

This is amazing. My balance is nowhere near this.

I agree, it's not exactly flow swimming...more like a drill. But I still think it's useful. As Coach Shinji posted, you can tell a lot about a swimmer's form when s/he swims so slowly.

How well does balance and control at this slow speed translate to higher tempos?
Old 11-11-2010

Rincewind

I am not sure how true it is, but I remember reading an article somewhere about Phelps being able to do 25yds in 4 strokes.