Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014

Rajan
Default High Elbow Catch / Hip Drive

Can somebody please tell me that after watching this video, why I am getting an idea that this coach, indirectly, talking about the Hip Drive Concept. First maintain high elbow and then move past that anchoring point using Hip Drive.

Am I right ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ysuAlwGifc

Regards

Rajan
Old 02-10-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Can somebody please tell me that after watching this video, why I am getting an idea that this coach, indirectly, talking about the Hip Drive Concept. First maintain high elbow and then move past that anchoring point using Hip Drive.

Am I right ?

Regards

Rajan
For High Elbow concepts, i like this video by Dave Cameron:

http://youtu.be/tDmQiHQ8mW8
Old 02-10-2014

CharlesCouturier

Quote:

Am I right ?

Regards

Rajan
Hip drive may mean a number of things, and be used in a number of ways. I think what might be common to all these usages would be that hips must move actively, and not in reaction to upper body driven rotation, or worst, arm led body rotation, in which case the recovering arm is pulling on the shoulder, thus driving the "upper" body to rotate. Sometimes hips will follow, and sometimes not. Note that the last case (arm led body rotation) is, unfortunately, very very very very very very very (...) common.
Old 02-10-2014

andyinnorway

I've always quite liked the evanscoaching videos. they aren't all beginner proof but he has put a lot of thought into what he says I think.
Old 02-10-2014

CharlesCouturier

I agree Andy.
Old 02-11-2014

cpa_pfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I've always quite liked the evanscoaching videos. they aren't all beginner proof but he has put a lot of thought into what he says I think.
I think it depends on how you learn and your personality. I am analytical, which he is. But, I am a visual learner. I learn much more from "seeing". I study vids. He strikes me as an audio learner, or at least an audio teacher.

For me, explaining something for 10 mins using thousands of words communicates nothing. I can learn much more by watching how to do it for a few minutes.

I think he is likely a good coach for others, just not me.
Old 02-11-2014

Rajan

I have never seen him demonstrating the drills in the swimming pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa_pfs View Post

For me, explaining something for 10 mins using thousands of words communicates nothing. I can learn much more by watching how to do it for a few minutes.

I think he is likely a good coach for others, just not me.
Old 02-11-2014

cpa_pfs

Quote:
I have never seen him demonstrating the drills in the swimming pool.
Me either. That is why I struggle understanding his message. 10 mins of words with no visual is of no value to me.

I hope I communicated that I think he is likely a good coach ... for someone who learns by audio.
Old 02-11-2014

Rajan

Same is the case with me. Even the video that coachdavidshen is referring above, I could not understand. I had tried translating that video in words through this forum but with no use. I could not understand. But some videos of coach suzane and coachdavidshen are very informative on recovery and anyone can understand easily. Coach mandy's on two beat kick is quite clear but that was demonstrated in pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa_pfs View Post
Me either. That is why I struggle understanding his message. 10 mins of words with no visual is of no value to me.

I hope I communicated that I think he is likely a good coach ... for someone who learns by audio.

Last edited by Rajan : 02-11-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Same is the case with me. Even the video that coachdavidshen is referring above, I could not understand. I had tried translating that video in words through this forum but with no use. I could not understand. But some videos of coach suzane and coachdavidshen are very informative on recovery and anyone can understand easily. Coach mandy's on two beat kick is quite clear but that was demonstrated in pool.
can you be more specific on what you don't understand in the videos?

in answer to your original question about hip drive, Coach Dave Cameron's video talks about hip drive in generating the catch which seems to be what Marc Evans is talking about. Marc is using one arm to illustrate the concept - I like the explanation of the concept better in Dave Cameron's video.