Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011

TomH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
In the initial post, Terry lists several focus items. One of them is to overlap distance of hands. Not sure what that means.
I understood this to mean the overlap of holding the extended arm in front a bit longer before beginning the pull. The recovering arm will then "overlap" the extended arm more as you initiate the spear before starting the pull with the other arm.
Old 11-12-2011

Billy Boy
Default A practice to improve balance, streamline . . . and focus.

I have practiced this set, but not the part with the TT yet. I don't think I am ready for that yet.

I have hit a couple of 13 SPL for 25 yards, but mostly getting 15 SPL. For the longest time, I had only been getting 19 - 20 SPL.

When doing "Odd 25s with index-finger-only extended", my form is absolutely terrible. I just try to focus on hanging my head and lengthing my body.

It really works even when I struggle to breathe on my left side.

Bill
Old 04-19-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
On Saturday Mar 19 at the Multisport World Expo at MIT in Cambridge MA, we offered 75-minute classes in Endurance Skills. These focused on whole-stroke repeats with Focal Points designed to improve Balance and Streamline. During the final 20 minutes we used Tempo Trainers to consolidate the new thoughts and skills. Here's a practice based on what we did at those classes. If you do this practice, please post any insights or improvements that result.

Total Immersion Mindful Swimming Practice

Mindful Swimming Practice has a dual purpose:

1) Train your body. Focus on an aspect of stroke improvement that allow you to sense and measure improvement with some ease. Repeat a narrowly focused technique enough times to leave an imprint on muscle memory.

2) Train your brain. Practice holding one specific thought. If you notice your thoughts have wandered, bring them back. At the end of each set evaluate how well you’ve maintained focus just as much as you evaluate how you’ve changed your stroke. Improving focus will have longer-lasting and more expansive benefits than improving your stroke.

Tune-up

Swim 50 yards. Count strokes.

Swim 6 x 25. Odd 25s with index-finger-only extended. Even 25s with ‘normal’ hands.

Compare SPL (Strokes Per Length) one finger to normal hand. Can you reduce the difference between them?

Swim 50 yards as before. Count strokes. Did 50-yd count change?

Balance/Relaxation Focus

Swim 4 to 8 x 25 with this focus:

Hang Your Head Feel head hanging – weightless – between shoulders. Focus only on keeping a sense of a weightless head and relaxed neck and shoulder muscles.

Weightless Lazy Arm.
Feel your arm float forward as if cushioned. How slowly can you extend? Notice if fingers are tense or relaxed. Look for ane eliminate bubbles.
Swim 3 to 5 x 50 [25 Hang your Head + 25 Weightless Lazy Arm]

Streamline/Swim Taller Focus

Swim Slightly Taller Reach a bit farther than usual - as for something barely beyond reach. Don't strain, but aim to extend reach by a couple of millimeters or nanoseconds.

Overlap Slightly increase overlap between hands. Overlap enough that you notice it, but not so much that it feels out-of-rhythm.
Swim 3 to 5 x 50 [25 SwimTaller + 25 Overlap]

Combined Focus

Swim 3 to 5 x 50 [25 Combined Relax Focus + 25 Combined Taller Focus]

Tempo Trainer Pyramid

Swim 10 x 25. Reset TT after each: 1.3 - 1.4 - 1.5 - 1.6 - 1.55 - 1.50 - 1.45 - 1.40 - 1.35 - 1.30

Choose any focus from those above to maintain for the entire set.

The goal of this set is to improve efficiency (reduce SPL) as tempo slows, then be very 'stingy' about giving back the strokes you saved, as tempo increases again. As tempo slows, you'll notice extra time in the stroke. Use this time to extend a bit further (as in Swim Taller focus) and be more patient about beginning the stroke.

Take Note of: (1) SPL at start of set; (2) how many strokes you ‘save’ as tempo slows from 1.3 to 1.6; (3) SPL at finish of set; (4) at which tempo you feel most comfortable.

SPL Maintenance Set (without TT)

Swim 4 x 25 + 3 x 50 + 2 x 75 + 1 x 100.

Goal is to maintain SPL within two strokes of best count from TT Pyramid, as repeat distance increases.
A few weeks ago I was browsing thru this forum (Favorite Practices and Sets). I came across Terry's opening post and have started on week 2 of doing this practice. At this point I can't do the whole practice in on session (my rest times are not only too many but also too long). Anyway, this practice seemed something like what Tom Pamperin has been working on.

I finally feel like I am moving forward. My spl is a little more consistent and am now able to get in that 2nd length's feel as good as the first. For me this is a good accomplishment.

One of my chief focal point is the weightless and looking straight down head. This has given me some real improvement in my stroke.

So for those of you that are at that 1 length point, take a look at the practice set that Terry has posted. It is helping me and I am 72 yrs old, so learning takes a little longer.

Sherry
Old 06-13-2016

nat23
Default Active Streamlining

Under the section of Active Streamlining, I'm struggling to switch with the help of the hip. I think I'm switching using my chest and upper arm. The reason I say this is because my switches are NOT effortless and I think I'm off balance after I switch.

I not only want to be able to switch using the hip but need a mechanism that tells me I have done it using the hip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Nat