Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2010

cmperkins
Default Skating advice - only one side feels right

Hello everyone!

Did my second hour of TI practice this morning based on the Easy Freestyle DVD, so very new to this (having been an average, but not very frequent, typical struggling freestyle swimmer).

Core balance feels fine, nice relaxed sweet spot breathing. When I move to skating, the left track feels great - like I have a natural arm position, hips and legs feel light and buoyant, sweet spot breathing is easy.

The right track is completely different - can't seem to find a natural arm position, feels like I'm swimming uphill and I was spluttering a bit in sweet spot. I was also veering off track after breathing - drifting to the right.

Is this one side good, one side bad situation common in new TI swimmers?

Also, in core balance and skating I felt like there was some degree of movement possible in my rotation. I could just let the tiniest bit of my shoulder break the surface (so I'm near horizontal) or I could rotate to around 45 degrees - not stacked shoulders - where the shoulder and most of the back of my arm was out of the water (maybe I'm not tucking my arm in front of my body enough?)

Can anyone advise on what's the best degree of rotation - just off horizontal or more 45 degree-ish? I'm guessing more 45 degrees will enable greater hip drive when I progress to that stage?

Your help and advice much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010

westyswoods

cmperkins,

Let me begin by welcoming you to TI. Your use of this forum will be greatly enhance the journey forward.

Yes this is absolutely normal. Very few of us have equal sides especially when in the water. If you have swam in the past I bet you have a favorite side to breathe. The difference is that with TI we are sooooo much more focus on good foundation technique that we will begin to notice all of these nuances. Believe me it will not just end with the skate and or rotation.

The amount of rotation one should use has kind of evolved a couple of years ago the focus was on more rotation than today. The 45 degree area is where you would like to be for several reasons. Being too stacked will have a tendency to push your upper body down making the breathing process difficult. Too horizontal does not allow for good core rotation. This is something I am currently playing with in relation to how my recovering arm feels.

If you have the resource available I strongly advise getting someone to video tape you. Taping will give you and unbelievable reality check as to what you feel vs what is actually going on. Have yet to tape anyone who has not said NO WAY. It is a learning journey with no end in sight and that is why I have become so enamored with the TI way.

Be Patient And Enjoy
Old 03-18-2010
Banned

Lawrence

Agree with Westy. Get videoed as soon as possible. Seeing what you're doing is the quickest way to make progress.
Old 03-18-2010

cmperkins

Thanks for the quick responses!

Yes, Westyswoods, I did have a favourite side - the right. Which is why I'm surprised the left feels better (I'm right handed, if that makes a difference).

I do have a video camera someone can film we with - it's a public pool, so I'll check with them. Is videotaping swim coaching generally accepted? (I'm in the UK if anyone has experience here.)

Any further advice on what's causing the veering? Is it likely to be my lead arm position? I'm trying to keep it wide - at least as wide as shoulder and feeling a stretch in the pec.
Old 03-18-2010
Banned

Lawrence

You might want to peruse my various wide tracks threads. Putting the hand in front of the shoulder doesn't necessarily mean you'll skate on wide tracks. The important thing is to ensure the hand re-enters the water (a) as wide as possible, while (b) pointing forwards.

Greetings from a fellow UK (London) TI swimmer, by the way. We seem to be quite a rare breed!
Old 03-18-2010

westyswoods

You are correct in checking with the pool to see what their policy is. It is not only a good idea to check with the pool, but I always inform those who are swimming around me of what I am doing. Never had a problem to date and if I do, that is there right and will move to different area or film at a later date. Try to get a lane next to the edge it makes filming much easier and better quality. If you are comfortable with it feel free to post on this forum for some great feedback. It not only helps you but also all of us who are learning what works and does not.

Veering could be head position, body out of line, multitude of different issues. One thing about wide tracks, there is a thread on this forum about wide tracks. The general consensus is we always think they are wider than reality. This is where video becomes invaluable. Just a word of caution don't get too far ahead of yourself and be patient. Enjoy the journey.

Happy Trails To You
Westy
Old 03-18-2010

cmperkins

Thanks, again.

Lawrence, I read your wide track threads just before I posted, thanks. I like the wide, deep, patient mantra.

I'm trying to be patient (not usually like me!) I found Terry's suggestion of 10-20 hours initial practice, 10% lessons one/two, 30% lesson three, etc a useful guide.

I've done two hours on lessons one and two, and based on this morning's experience will continue with skating for my next session until it feels better. I'm dying to get to more advanced lessons and have this great new stroke, but I know if I rush through it I won't have imprinted good habits and probably won't see any significant improvement.

What has everyone else found - is about 20 hours self-coaching from the DVD realistic to expect a basic TI stroke to emerge?
Old 03-19-2010

haschu33

I had quite different experiences in my two sides when doing core balance drill. I forgot which side was the bad one. You see - it disappears with time. I was new to freestyle, so I had no god and bad side before. I was surprised how different it was. One side felt completely natural, the other not at all. Funny enough with skating drill I didn't notice any difference.

Regarding hours: I did my first complete 25m lap of freestyle after about 30-40 hours of drilling. But there are people who are lot faster.
Now I am roughly at hour 90 - 100 after starting freestyle with TI, I can swim laps quite easily, but still pause after each lap and main issue is breathing. I do appr. 15 minutes laps and 45 minutes drills in a one hour session.
Old 03-19-2010

splashingpat
Default is it the breathin' or imprintin the pause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
I had quite different experiences in my two sides when doing core balance drill. I forgot which side was the bad one.

You see - it disappears with time.

I was new to freestyle, so I had no god and bad side before.
I was surprised how different it was.
One side felt completely natural, the other not at all. Funny enough with skating drill I didn't notice any difference.

Regarding hours: I did my first complete 25m lap of freestyle after about 30-40 hours of drilling. But there are people who are lot faster.
Now I am roughly at hour 90 - 100 after starting freestyle with TI,

I can swim laps quite easily,
but still pause after each lap and main issue is breathing.

I do appr. 15 minutes laps and 45 minutes drills in a one hour session.

the main issue breathin' or stopping and pausin'

OR IS IT IMPRINTING THE STOP & THE PAUSIN'?
sometimes I wonder OR question which one it is?
the first time I had to swim more than a 25 meter or yard pool i guess it was 50 I wonder can i make this?
In freestyle crawl which has always been a challenge for me.
The breaststroke I can swim forever!
BUT THE Freestyle crawl is a horse of a different color!
the breathing on the side has NEVER been easy for me?

jumping in ....cause i can! can 't i?
talkin' about the technique of swimmin' with the intellectual guys!
got thoughts on it?

i could n't do this alone?
BUT to have a great forum to discuss and share their struggles, ideas, and thoughts to becoming better swimmers

Last edited by splashingpat : 03-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

westyswoods

I am two plus years into TI and have found it to be extremely challenging as I swam for 35 years before with no formal instruction. No concept of balance or proper stroke technique and efficiency. There are so many variables for each of us, that to give a set or even approximate time frame is unfair to ones self. I for one have always have struggled with coordination, consequently it has taken my much longer than others.

I will suggest that you don't get hung up on perfecting a specific drill if you grasped the concept and have practiced with some success move on, often times it will fall into place. We can always go back and practice from the beginning which I do often.

Have A Great Day

Last edited by westyswoods : 03-19-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: grammar