Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010

genechem
Default New to freestyle swimming

Background: Currently following Easy Freestyle TI DVD. Just started about a week and a half ago. Spend about 40 minutes in the pool every two days. Read through some of the other newbie posts,but still having great difficulty with TI basics. I might be rushing things, but thats what overachievers do right? Started to swim 37 yards in the beginning but now up to 100.

Goal: Eventually do a half-triathlon, but until then would like to swim 500 yards.

Questions!
1. The core-balance transition to sweet spot breathing is tricky for me. At first I misunderstood it by trying to maintain one shoulder above the water & while attempting sweet spot breathing, but after reviewing the DVD it seems like the demonstrator goes slightly past a stacked shoulder position. If I practice this, should I be able to maintain that sweet spot position for a period longer than a breath?

2. Core balance / staying high in the water - When they say engage your abs, how should they feel? I imagine they aren't suppose to be braced for impact but I have a tendency to sink or drop my spinal axis when I tire out (mostly due to breathing).

3. Torso position - Should I spend most of my time swimming with my chest rotating about 30-45 degrees out? I've read that a swimmer is suppose to swim on an edge, not sure since there is myriad of information out there.

4. Hip thrusts, I can see from watching the TI Demo that stroke and hip timing is essential. I find my breathing erratic and I might manage one good sequence in about 20 attempts. Any advice on to improve timing?

5. Breathing - Right now I do 4 kicks per breath (4KB?), but I feel shortness of breath with that and tend to weasel down to 2KB. I'm beginning to think that I should transition to a 3KB to become comfortable on my side? Also, should one of my goggles be wet during every breath?

6. Kicks - I've heard the propulsion/power comes from the quads on kicking. How much movements should my quads perform?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but the technicality of swimming eludes me!

-gene

Last edited by genechem : 03-19-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

archipelago

I'm not senior to TI, but if I may try to give some advise
- don't try to solve all the problems at the same time. focus on 1 aspect, then proceed with another.
lets start with no.1 on your list: the core balance drill
- do You feel comfortable when practicing without breathing?
- while rotating, try to go over the stacked position, You need to reach the proper angle (more on the back than facedown) and position where You will feel comfortable and will be able to breathe eventually to rest awhile
- relax Your head and shoulders, try to keep them that way also when rotating
- check Your bodyline when You're in the sweet spot
- how flutter is Your kicking?
Old 03-20-2010

genechem

Quote:
Originally Posted by archipelago View Post
I'm not senior to TI, but if I may try to give some advise
- don't try to solve all the problems at the same time. focus on 1 aspect, then proceed with another.
lets start with no.1 on your list: the core balance drill
- do You feel comfortable when practicing without breathing?
- while rotating, try to go over the stacked position, You need to reach the proper angle (more on the back than facedown) and position where You will feel comfortable and will be able to breathe eventually to rest awhile
- relax Your head and shoulders, try to keep them that way also when rotating
- check Your bodyline when You're in the sweet spot
- how flutter is Your kicking?
- I feel fine core balance w/o breathing
- I haven't tried the over stacked position, since I misinterpreted it when I took notes over the first 7 lessons when I brought it too the pool, but I think I'll do that portion fine.
-My flutter kick is hard to notice, since I"m concentrating on breathing / arm position so much. My flutters, I try to time with my strokes for that hip drive but I'd say they were short and powerful but as I continue I lose focus of everything and it ends up being about 15 degree movements.

" The greatest temptation to quit is when your about to succeed. "
Old 03-20-2010

archipelago

Quote:
Originally Posted by genechem View Post
- I feel fine core balance w/o breathing
- I haven't tried the over stacked position, since I misinterpreted it when I took notes over the first 7 lessons when I brought it too the pool, but I think I'll do that portion fine.
-My flutter kick is hard to notice, since I"m concentrating on breathing / arm position so much. My flutters, I try to time with my strokes for that hip drive but I'd say they were short and powerful but as I continue I lose focus of everything and it ends up being about 15 degree movements.
When doing the Core balance drill, U don't need to concentrate on arm position, first try it without using the arms - as on the dvd, arms are freely and relaxed along your body.
In sweet spot, if U're doing right, You shoud have enough time to breathe easily for how long U need.
In this drill the flutter kick is only to help U to keep the correct body position
Old 03-20-2010
Banned

Lawrence

In addition to whichever drills you're doing, you might find it useful just to watch Terry or Shinji (on youtube) swimming freestyle, and trying to do what they do. This may serve as a short-cut to knowing how it feels to do the stroke properly, although of course the stroke won't come immediately. Once you know how it's meant to feel, the drills may make more sense.
Old 03-21-2010

JoePetto

I found it much easier to learn sweet spot breathing, by first learning what sweet spot felt like on its own. I practiced this on my back with a gentle flutter kick so that I knew when I was in sweet spot. As Terry says, it's called sweet spot because you feel like you could do it forever. With this in mind, the transition from skate/core balance was that much easier.
Old 03-21-2010

splashingpat
Default relaxin, enjoying swimming and getting air=SWEETSPOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePetto View Post
I found it much easier to learn sweet spot breathing,
by first learning what sweet spot felt like on its own.
I practiced this on my back with a gentle flutter kick,
so that I knew when I was in sweet spot

As Terry says, it's called sweet spot because you feel like you could do it forever. With this in mind,
the transition from skate/core balance was that much easier.
i have found that NOT everybody finds this the sweet spot UNTIL
they find it a position that is relaxing and enjoying the same as the side stroke....and it is SWEET because you CAN get AIR!

And if ya can do it forever....Then why don't you see swimmers swimming it for the whole length of the pool unless ya have flippers on!

Last edited by splashingpat : 03-22-2010 at 01:07 AM.