Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2014

Jennig
Default Swimmers ear

I just started swimming three weeks ago. I am 41 and never did before because I couldn't breathe under water. I would sputter and cough and never had a lesson because I just thought I could never learn to breathe properly. But I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm a personal trainer so this was devastating. I am determined to remain physical. Now I love swimming. In three weeks I've gotten to the point I can do twenty laps in Olympic size pool in twenty minutes. Idk if that is is pathetic or not but I don't care, I am thrilled and really proud of myself. Problem: I keep getting really painful swimmers ear. I tried two different Mack's ear plugs, the screw ones and the silicone ones that you form into ball and fit into ear. I have tried after swim drying ear drops
And drying ears with towel and then blow drier. Any other ideas? I can't give up
Swimming but the pain is really bad.
Old 09-21-2014

Joern.pellum

I have the same problem. Carefully use of a swab after swimming solved the problem, but consult your doctor to be sure you have no earwax, witch can worsen the condition.
Old 09-21-2014

Jennig

Thank you for your response, but my doctor told me emphatically never to stick a q-tip in my ear under any circumstances. He recommended shaking my ears out and using a towel. Not working. I'm getting swimmers ear back to back. And ironically an inner ear infection in the middle of the swimmers ear brief healing point, which my doc said had nothing to do with swimmers ear or my swimming. He even said I could go swimming with the inner ear infection. So I did. (This was last week) so now while on the antibiotics for the inner ear infection the swimmers ear is back
Old 09-21-2014

Joern.pellum

I think carefully use of a swab should do no harm. Its all about to get your ear dry as fast as possible.
Old 09-21-2014

Caro

I use Zoggs ear plugs, they fit well and are really easy to put in and out.
Old 09-26-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

I've never found any ear plugs that work well.

There are a couple of ways of clearing a wax plug out of your ears:

One is to lay on your side and pour some hot oil into the ear (not hot enough to burn you!), let it sit for a minute or so, and then roll onto your other side, allowing the oil and wax plug to drain onto a towel.

The other is to roll the wax plug out using an implement of some kind. An ear doctor once did this by taking a small paper clip and bending it apart at the middle (so the two halves were pointing in opposite directions). He then used the short end to roll the wax out.

Bob
Old 07-03-2015

JennaF

I use Zoggs
Old 07-29-2015

MaryGreen

I think you just need to choose proper ear plugs, I remember you've already tried few of them, but there's a great assortment. Personally I use Diana Ergotap Ear Plugs which are silicone, but you don't have to form anything of them. Their form is very comfortable and provides high protection level. Just don't give up, you'll find the best solution for your situation!
Old 07-30-2015
michaelmarshall5030

I know Aqua Sphere makes a swim cap which fits over the ears... it has pockets in which the ears fit. It may be an additional protection in conjunction with ear plugs, or just might work by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Sphere-Gl.../dp/B000EOPCDC
Old 08-01-2015

Talvi
Default Batman?!

That cap looks interesting. Sometimes when I turn I find my ear slaps the water on turning (not sure how that happens!) but it looks like the cap would be warmer in OW too. The picture looks as though you'd need eye holes!! Is it a Bat .. Hat?! Can it ... be ... a hoax? Holy hoods Marshall!

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov