Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009

atreides
Default So Is This Hip Drive?

For months I've been swimming laps with a decent two beat kick and what another swimmmer remarked were pretty good stroke mechanics. Recently, I tried improving my stroke by implementing overswitch technique and coming directly over the top on my recovery. The same swimmer that had complimented me on my current stroke mechanics had said in the past that I had a tendency to come out to the side on recovery which he said wasted energy. Since I am all about energy conservation, I took his comments to heart and sought a solution. That solution came after listening to TL's Multisport lecture in which he alluded to the aforementioned overswitch (or was it underswitch) drill.

After trying this recovery for awhile (and backsliding often), I found that it used a diffrerent part of my shoulder. Whereas my old technique put a lot of stress on the A/C joint, the newer technique used a part of the shoulder muscles further inside. This was good news. Although my shoulder problems have been greatly reduced, the fact that now I wasn't putting any stress on the joint meant that reoccurrence of them was less likely.

So the other day, I'm sauntering down the lane attempting to make sure I go over the top with my right arm. My left arm seemed to naturally do this so no real correction was necessary. I have this sequence I have learned which generally goes like this. In rapid succession (or maybe not so rapid), I kick , drive my hip, catch and pull. The pull wasn't really much of a pull because the hip drive seemed to make the water really thin so it was like I was fanning through it. I thought this was the way it was supposed to be.

As I was recovering my right arm at the end of a lap, for some unexplained reason, I nudged my hip forward as I was beginning my catch. All of sudden it was like I grabbed a ball of water. It was like my arm stopped briefly and then I sort of exploded (maybe an exaggeration) forward. I did my normal stoke on the left but then instinctively tried to duplicate the effect by moving my hip forward at the same time that I was making my catch. Similar results.

This morning I swam the hold time this way and it was really fun. And I may be sort of delusional but I thought I was faster... I mean a lot faster. Afterwards, I wasn't any more tired than usual. So what's the verdict. As I think about the experience, its like my arm stops .. but it doesn't. In fact I've been working on relaxing my arms. Have I all of sudden stumbled on the proper timing of the catch and hip drive? Is this the correct sensation (big glob of water and pulling arm feeling momentarily stationary)? Is this a hip driven catch?
Old 11-12-2009

haschu33

It is really quite audacious to write a reply from my beginner position...

As I read here in several posts, and as I watched Terry et al in several videos, and from my limited experience, a good timing is when the spearing arm has started the catch before the hip drive comes in.

You want to drive your body pass that catching arm, and if you don't catch, your hip drive has no effective lever in it's starting and often most strongest momentum.

I do think so...

Last edited by haschu33 : 11-12-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
It is really quite audacious to write a reply from my beginner position...

As I read here in several posts, and as I watched Terry et al in several videos, and from my limited experience, a good timing is when the spearing arm has started the catch before the hip drive comes in.

You want to drive your body pass that catching arm, and if you don't catch, your hip drive has no effective lever in it's starting and often most strongest momentum.

I do think so...
I thinks that's right. What I have begun to do is wait until I'm well into my catch to drive or nudge my hip. The experience is like blowing up a paper bag. Except the air is water. At first I thought that I was stopping my arm. But now I realize that my arm was fulcroming (is that a word) off of the caught water. I must have been doing this to a lesser exent before. But maybe the effect is being registered further in front of me. I just hope I don't lose this.