Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013

jenson1a
Default Questions on Swing Switch

I just came across a blog called Zenswitch Transitions-posted on Mar 8, 2010 by Coach Brian Vande Krol. His blog is divided into 2 sections--The Purposes of Pauses and the 2nd relates to the Dragging the Forearm.

The first section is pretty straight forward and seems relevant.

It is this 2nd section that I don't seem to understand. He says, "When we drag the forearm through the water, we use the water to provide feedback about the recovery. When the forearm is truly relaxed and dragging like a rag doll, the water shapes the arm keeping the wrist below the elbow. The feeling is that of "releasing water" under the forearm, as opposed to pushing water in front of the forearm. Also, if we maintain a constant depth of the forearm (feel the waterline at the crook of the elbow) we must swing the elbow out out away from the body, rather than bringing it up in a cramped recovery."

I'm not sure what he means by this. Also, if I have the crook of my elbow just above the water line, I have a lot of trouble in moving forward. (Too much weight maybe?) or not enuff muscle?

Also since there has been so many revisions to different drills, is it possible that this blog no longer "holds water"??

Any insights would be appreciated.

Sherry
Old 03-11-2013

Janos

Hi Sherry. It is only the last part that makes any sense to me. You are probably aware of not recovering the arm too tightly to the body. Fingerdrag drills are there to create a bit of drag for the forearm and hand as the elbow moves forward. An important drill to master. Not sure of the benefit of digging that hand in too deeply though. However deeply it goes, it must be in proportion to your forward momentum, otherwise the drill is not being done properly. So if it slows you down too much, my advice would be to lift your arm up a bit more. I find it easier to just focus on the elbow, and its linear path forward.

Janos
Old 03-12-2013
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

It is this 2nd section that I don't seem to understand. He says, "When we drag the forearm through the water, we use the water to provide feedback about the recovery. When the forearm is truly relaxed and dragging like a rag doll, the water shapes the arm keeping the wrist below the elbow. The feeling is that of "releasing water" under the forearm, as opposed to pushing water in front of the forearm.

Hi Sherry, Good Question

I think what the Coach Krol is expressing is you want your forearms completely relaxed like a "marionette" so the water shapes the arm. If your arms are tense you will be less likely to recieve the external feedback from the water and more likely to move the water around.

Also, if we maintain a constant depth of the forearm (feel the waterline at the crook of the elbow) we must swing the elbow out out away from the body, rather than bringing it up in a cramped recovery."

This makes sense as well. If you swing the compact relaxed recovery arm out and away from the body without lifting the arm (most swimmers instinctively will do this) the waterline to elbow postion stay the same.

I'm not sure what he means by this. Also, if I have the crook of my elbow just above the water line, I have a lot of trouble in moving forward. (Too much weight maybe?) or not enuff muscle?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Sherry

The arm or muscle shouldn't be what moves you forward but the weight shift from your core/torso (much more mass). It takes some time to master the SwingSwitch and its movements are couterintuitive. But once its learned it can be done effortlessly.

Also since there has been so many revisions to different drills, is it possible that this blog no longer "holds water"??

Swimming is a continual learning process and some revisions or adjustments have been adopted. But I would say Coach Brian Vande Krol post definatley "Holds Water" :-)

Hope this helps
Keep up the good work
Kaizen
George

Last edited by CoachGeorgeRandall : 03-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2013

jenson1a

Tks Coach George for your explanations-esp the importance of practicing the drill with crook of elbow just above the waterline. As the elbow is raised slightly (to drag wrist and then fingers), the drill becomes easier.

Will try to think about weight shift more than moving arm fwd.

You have to admit that in some ways the old zipper drill was easier to understand--bring hand up along your side--definitely something tangible. This business of "gripping the water" or holding the water and releasing the water is harder for me to grasp. But just having come off a shoulder injury, I do understand the importance of being relaxed. Its just a little harder to put into practice.

But I do thank you for your explanations and it does make it more clearer.

Sherry
Old 04-13-2015

slapmaxwell1

Hello Coach George,

I was wonderin where I could find an illustration or video of swing switch. I am looking through my books and am not seeing it covered it the chapters.
Old 04-14-2015

grandall

Hi Slapmax,
You'll probably find it in this newly written instruction. Here is the link.
I have the 10 step DVD perpetual motion that I ordered many moons ago . But I'm not sure if you can still order it from TI
Hope this helps
Coach
George
http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.VSx1gIr3bCQ

-Efficient Freestyle Complete Self-Coaching Toolkit (HD DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCT)

Last edited by CoachGeorgeRandall : 04-14-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2015
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Sherry, you note that raising the elbow slightly makes the drill "easier" by creating less resistance. But it's exactly this resistance that coach Brian is referring to when talking about getting feedback from the water.

You are thinking about moving forward, but the swing switch drill as brian describes it has more to do with quality of movement and learning how to relax the forearm.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle