Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013

yurenhui
Default what is the exact difinition of "weight shift"?

I am confused with the term "weight shift".Does that mean the body rotation from one side to the other side or the weight of the recovery arm shift forward?
Old 12-13-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurenhui View Post
I am confused with the term "weight shift".Does that mean the body rotation from one side to the other side or the weight of the recovery arm shift forward?
I believe your first definition of weight shifting from side to side is the proper definition. Let me know if you have any further questions on this particular topic!
Old 12-18-2013

yurenhui

Thank you very much.

But when you body rotate from side to side , the center of you body weight didnt shift ,right? The center of your body weight is always in your middle line.So the shift of weight is just a feeling?
Old 12-18-2013

Marskatin

Quote:
Thank you very much.

But when you body rotate from side to side , the center of you body weight didnt shift ,right? The center of your body weight is always in your middle line.So the shift of weight is just a feeling?
My opinion:
I think center of your body weight is not in your middle line when one hand is strimlinig your body and the socond hand is in recovery phase. center of cour body weight is in middle line only, when you are in " symetrical" position. And because center of your body weight in this situation is not in middle line, you can prosper from gravitation of "recovery arm".

Shifting weight i like standing alternatively on leftand right leg with hands on hips. In this case center of your body weight is in middle line. If you want stand on one leg you must shift center of your body weight above your foot of standing leg.

Last edited by Marskatin : 12-18-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2013

CharlesCouturier

My comment is inline with that of previous posters I think.

There's no mystery whatsoever as to what a weight shift is. It's really the notion of shifting weight. Therefore the most obvious weight shift in freestyle as others mentioned is the lateral "from side to side" weight shift.

What's remains a mystery, and is often discussed and debated is how these weight shifts can be used or controlled so that they can boost up swim speed.
Old 12-18-2013

Penguin

When I first started trying TI techniques which was a few years ago, I often felt like I was rocking back and forth about a line running through my sternum.

For one reason or another, that sensation has disappeared. If I try to regain it, It feels like I have to make an extra effort to rotate that way.

Now I am finding myself of the opinion that weight shift is more a mental exercise than anything else.

I do often feel that I am leaning into my spear. And, with my spearing arm angled down towards its target position, and my whole body rotating, there may be something of a corkscrewing effect. Not much, just a little bit.
Old 12-18-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Thank you very much.

Yes that is true if the arms do not move. but in full stroke swimming or any of hte recovey drills or swing switch the center of mass moves across the body from both left to right as well as back to front during the amr swing.

However we want the body to stay stable ...not displace water.. .until we are ready to stroke, which isn't until the recovery arm is ready to enter the water.

So the core muscles need to activate as the recovery begins, follows through and ends in a different way as you allow the weight to shift and allow the body to roll with the shifting center of mass.

no core control means the body will rotate as soon as the recoveyr arm starts to move which creates a lot of drag and won't let us take adavnatage of the stroking mechanics as efficiently.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-19-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Just to add to Marskatin, as well as Coaches David and Suzanne. Adding the momentum of the recovery arm moving forward and dropping it in at the right time and location (fwd of lungs) - the combined weight of body rotating and recovery arm dropping (mass), recovery arm spearing forward at an angle below the lungs directing energy forward = fwd locomotion. Analogous to a child sliding down a slide at the park, the slope of slide directing weight/mass forward as it drops back to terra firma (gravity)

I like Terry's description best in this video "Swim with your body":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P2Sdsx6Bo8#t=97

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 12-19-2013 at 03:06 AM.