Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013

casper4x447
Default Irresistable urge to get out of pool today???

Although, as I've stated in another thread, I've never been a "swimmer", I've never really felt uncomfortable in the water. That is until today.

I had completed the drill portion of one of the ebook swim practices written by Coach Vande Krol and was working my way through the 25+50+75+50+25 portion of the practice.

Nearing the wall at the shallow end in the 1st length of the 75 yard distance, I had a sudden and utterly overwhelming feeling of "get the hell out of the pool".

Luckily I was in the shallow end, so when this overwhelming feeling came on, I was able to stand up. But it took all I could muster to make myself stay in the pool.

After several minutes, I was able to relax enough to stay in the pool and then 5 or 10 minutes later I was able to do some short superman glides and sweet spot floating/relaxing type drills and then complete the set starting again at 25. However, I never really got back to a relaxed easy feeling stroke.

Any advice, other than a bunch more superman glides to get back relaxed in the water?

Weird.

Thanks, Blake
Old 03-17-2013
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Hi Casper,
You're doing a great job! I can understand and relate to your anxiety issues while swimming. At one time I was fearful and insecure in the water and had trouble swimming 25 yards due to the feeling of exhaustion from survival stroking and high anxiety from the fear of sinking.

If I might suggest is to continue your practice with the SG in the shallow part of the pool to allow you to increase the feeling of being more relaxed, weightless and stable in the water. When you begin to feel more comfortable, try swimming half lengths repeats of the pool (shallow part) once you can swim half lengths without feeling any anxiety then try adding a 25 or 2 x 25 or 3 x 25 and see how that feels. Each time you start to feel anxiety coming on, stand, take some yoga breaths, when you begin to relax repeat the SG some more. Then try another repeat of 25's..and so forth..I would focus more on shorter distance repeats combined with the SG. Once you are completely confident swimming 25 repeats, then try adding a 1 x 50 2 x 50 experiment with it. It takes time and patience to overcome fear and anxiety in the water, but trust me, in time it will come.

You are doing an awesome job!
Keep up the good work.
Kaizen
George
Old 03-17-2013

casper4x447

I really appreciate the reply Coach Randall.

Today was an oddity in that I've been able to complete sets of 4x25, 3x50, 2x75 & 1x100 practices in the recent past. For some reason today I just wanted out of the water. Never felt that before, but figured it'd take a while getting back relaxed in the water. Hopefully, your suggested practice sets will get me to a better relaxed state.