Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015

Grant
Default BC Provincial Masters Championship SCM

Just back from the weekend swim meet. As I am still experiencing fatigue from the radiation treatments that were finished in Nov I only entered in four events. They were picked to allow me good recovery time as well as no distance races.
Trained 2.5 months for these shorter events and am pleased with the results.
This is my first SCM meet in the 80-84 bracket. I set Canadian records in the 100 and 200 Free and BC Provincial records in the 50m Fly and Free.
For the 50 and 100 Free I used a flutter kick and everything else was TI molded. For the 200 Free I used a 2BK for seven lengths and then used the Flutter kick to sprint home. What I really liked was my time was about 11 seconds faster than I swam it in Jan LCM meet. The tempo was around 0.85 per stroke.
This will be my last meet till about Nov so am going to use the summer to work with the TT to get my tempo down to .70.
Maybe I can get my time down in the 100m by using a 2BK and still get competitive results. That is one goal. The other is to practiise for the longer distances.
The quest goes on.
Old 04-27-2015

igorner

Well done! That's quite an achievement! You must, rightly, be on a bit of a high after that.

Would have loved to see some video of that.....if you would, please keep us posted on the training...I can use all the help I can get.
Old 04-28-2015

Richardsk

Congratulations, Grant, on your excellent results.

My results so far this far have not been excellent, but at least I have some results. Last year was more or less a washout due to a minor medical problem that almost completely prevented me from swimming. I managed one meet with dismal results - personal worsts in all events, but still managed to enjoy the occasion.

This year so far has been only slightly better and I note a severe loss of endurance. I had to switch to backstroke in the 400 free and 200 free, which didn't do my times any good. I wisely avoided the 1500 and 800, but hope I get back to swimming them when I have recovered some endurance, if I can, and I expect it is possible.

I have decided to do most of my work on improving the backstroke, which although slower than front crawl seems less exhausting. I have abandoned butterfly for the time being. Next meet is in June if I get my entry in in time.

Richard
Old 04-28-2015

Grant

Thanks Ian and Richard
I don't have videos available Ian. My high a little tempered as I missed the Canadian record in the 50 Free by about 1.5 seconds. Really thought I had a chance at it. As it was the last race of the meet I guess my tank was emptied somewhat. Next time.
Good to hear that you are back into action Richard. This reduced stamina in us 80 year olds is definitely a factor. Am going for a follow up today with my cancer Dr and will explore how long this should go on. Not expecting a precise answer. I think the best approach is one day at a time. Hope you have a quick recovery. I admire your toughness in still swimming the longer events.
Good luck to you both.
Old 04-28-2015

Richardsk

Hi Grant

Thanks for the kind words. The last time I swam a 1500 was two years ago and the time for me was not bad although a lot slower than the other ancient persons still swimming this event. It had a bad effect on the following day's efforts as recovery seems to be slower these days. The following year I swam the 800 but was very slow, so this year decided not to risk it.

I still had fun and still enjoy swimming so we must look on the bright side and aspire to be like the nonagenarians and centenarians who are still swimming. I suppose you have heard about the amazing Japanese lady of 100 who has set world records in all the freestyle and backstroke events. As far as I can tell she is the only centenarian of either sex who has swum the 400, 800 and 1500 Long Course.
Old 04-29-2015

jenson1a

Grant and Richard

You guys are a real inspiration. I admire your perseverance and most of all your positive attitudes. Liked Richard's statement:

I still had fun and still enjoy swimming so we must look on the bright side and aspire to be like the nonagenarians and centenarians who are still swimming.

I constantly tell my grandkids when they complain about not doing well in one of their sports--ok things didn't go well, but did you have fun?

Sherry
Old 04-29-2015

Richardsk

Hi Sherry
It is more than fun, although it is that. It is a necessary part of daily life. Of course one can imagine life without swimming, but let's hope it never comes to that.

The debt I owe to Terry and his writing and videos is enormous.
Old 05-02-2015

Tom Pamperin

Congratulations on your results! (Although I think I'm most impressed by the fact that you're swimming and racing in the 80-84 bracket--I hope I'm still swimming 37 years from now when I hit that bracket).

Great stuff, TI.
Old 05-02-2015

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
Congratulations on your results! (Although I think I'm most impressed by the fact that you're swimming and racing in the 80-84 bracket--I hope I'm still swimming 37 years from now when I hit that bracket).

Great stuff, TI.
Thanks Tom.
I think the most important factor in my still being able to swim and enjoy competing is that for 50 years I have been active in some form of athletics. I had to give up running distances when my Dr advised that I was wearing out the protective cartiledge in my right knee which had be damaged in several other sporting activities. Moving to swimming was the best move of my life and finding TI really has added many demensions. From my experience I would advise do not take extended layoffs unless forced to by uncontrollable circumstances.