Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010

AWP
Default whisker burn, ouch

OW swimmers,
I know most men have experienced the whisker burn (upper chest area), while swimming or even drilling in a pool, to some degree. During my latest 10K excursion however I developed a nasty burn, usually to some degree on both sides, on my 'dominant side' (left).
My query, can this be from a too low head position? Upon viewing the position of the burn in relation to my head/arm position in the mirror, it appears that perhaps this may be the case. Any in put would be valuable.
I did neglect to apply lubrication, forgot it oops, but didn't want to give up the opportunity. Maybe I should just simply shave? I've seen video of Terry, Dave and Willie sporting a proud heap of growth while swimming marathon swims and never noticed any abrasions. Perhaps (they) can weigh in here? Guys?
The 10K was 3 days ago and today I swam 2 miles breathing 90% to my right noticing a bit more scuffing on that side as well (lubricated up this time).
Thanks

Best,

Alan
Old 10-14-2010
Coach

CoachDave
Default Burn, baby, burn!

Actually, after the first Channel swim, I had raw skin on both shoulders, but not to the degree that some marathon swimmers had. It was from the 5:00 shadow growing in over that half-day. The second time, I didn't have to grease.
It came down to crossing the middle and forcing the head to tuck into the shoulder. I had too much rotation and too tight positioning the first time. I widened my tracks and relaxed my head into the space in between. I grew a short beard because it was much easier to do that than worry about chafing, and the stroke changes and soft growth made the second swim worry-free when it came to chafing.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-14-2010

AWP

[quote=CoachDave;13952] I had too much rotation and too tight positioning the first time. I widened my tracks and relaxed my head into the space in between.

Although I do try to be conscious of my track position at all times, it's while in the streamlined position, extending, that I do notice what you mentioned above. I felt this would help especially during choppy conditions but apparently only helped get a burn.
I'll try and be hyper aware of a totally released head position and even wider tracks on my next go. Looks like another 10K on Friday! Will report back. My only worry is that I'm not completely healed up from my last two swims.
I like the small growth idea but work won't have it. I'll shave extra close ; )
Thanks Coach.

Alan
Old 10-14-2010

KatieK

Don't be scared; even though I'm commenting on this thread, I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow.

My upper arms chafe against the top of my swimsuit when I'm swimming in choppy water. I never have a problem with my tracks not being wide enough any other time.

I've seen a few short, faraway videos and photos of myself swimming in those conditions. Sometimes it looks like I'm getting knocked around pretty bad (head underwater, un-graceful looking arms and legs), but it never looks like my tracks are narrow. In fact, when I'm getting beaten up, it looks like they are too wide.

I think the chop pushes my lead arm into my body even though my form is otherwise correct. Does that sound plausible? If so, am I supposed to make my lead arm less relaxed to force it to stay in place? I normally try keep everything relaxed and avoid fighting the water.

Thank God for Body Glide

Last edited by KatieK : 10-14-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Error
Old 10-14-2010

sasquatch

Worst part of my first 10k was not waves, wind, rain (plenty) or muscle soreness (none) but the whisker rash on both my shoulders from narrow tracks and maybe too much rotation. Shaving was about the same for both, but I think I corrected my stroke somewhat and the second marathon was better. I like coach Dave's method of just growing it out a bit so it's not the short, rigid stubble.

If my whiskers only came in a color darker than white/gray, blond and light red I wouldn't have such a faint, spotted and generally pathetic looking beard!
Old 10-15-2010

cynthiam

sasquatch, it sounds like your beard looks like one of the seals that hangs out in my swimming neighborhood. Some of us call him Spotty...he's quite handsome, I think.
Old 10-15-2010

flppr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiam View Post
sasquatch, it sounds like your beard looks like one of the seals that hangs out in my swimming neighborhood. Some of us call him Spotty...he's quite handsome, I think.
where did you get that emoticon, cynthia? we need some emoticons on this site. a solemn bunch, we are.
never mind. i see them now