Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008

robv
Default bodyrole which parts and how far?

Hello there,
a question about bodyrole/rotating:
wich parts of your body should be engaged in the body role?
Should I rotate my hips and legs just as much as my shoulders?
Or should I rotate my hips a bit less than my shoulders en legs a bit less than my hips? (wich means that my feet almost stay in the same position)

When I rotate my shoulders and hips I feel like I lose the support of the water and my chest start to sink.

thanks for your info!
rob
Old 11-21-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

There will be those that disagree with me on this point. But I've helped a lot of swimmers who lose their position in the water with this focal point:

I direct the kick up and down, not sideways. This has the effect of keeping the hips a bit flatter than the shoulders, although they aren't entirely flat. The flatter hips give me more suport from the water, and I ride a bit higher in the water, making breathing and recovery easier.

The resulting slight twist in the core is where hip drive comes from. If your core (hip and shoulder) rotate together, the only place to initiate rotation is from the arms or the legs. If instead, the hip is slightly ahead of the shoulder, the tone in the core drives the rotation/weight shift.
Old 11-21-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
I direct the kick up and down, not sideways. This has the effect of keeping the hips a bit flatter than the shoulders, although they aren't entirely flat. The flatter hips give me more suport from the water, and I ride a bit higher in the water, making breathing and recovery easier.
Does that depend of whether you are using a 2-beat or 6-beat kick?

I think my 2-beat kick is downward.
Old 11-21-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

No, the position of the hips is not related to the frequency of the kick.
Old 11-21-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
No, the position of the hips is not related to the frequency of the kick.
Well, even if a person has full hip rotation, the timing of the 2-beat kick might happen when the hips are more level. I think that's what happens in my case.

With the 6-beat kick, if your legs are floating high and flat, how can you get a good kick without breaking the surface and splashing a lot? I think the angle of the hips give the legs more room to move.

I think sensations can be deceiving. Example, when on the back, what might feel like leaning back at first might be a level position. Also, the width difference of the shoulders and hips might make the hips look like they are rotating less. Not sure.
Old 11-23-2008

robv

oke thanx, I think I should try to get somewhere in the middle of what I'm trying now, a bit more rotating with my shoulders and a bit less with my hips. The new 9 stroke movi of Shinji that is posted on you tube (also mentioned in another thread on this forum) gives a good look at the amount rotation I think I might be looking for.
Tomorow another day in the pool so let's see if I can make some approvements again.