Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008

Water Waltzer
Default "Popping the Balloon"

I was intrigued with a post earlier where the catching and holding of the water in the freestyle stroke gave them the sensation of trying to pop a balloon using their underarm.
This visual was helpful to me. I got that sensation last week in conjunction with using EVF or (early vertical forearm). This sensation occurred when I was using the entire set of shoulder muscles plus those muscles in front of and behind the shoulder equally (lats in the back and pecks in the front along with my rib muscles under my arm) with all these working together (all muscles engaged but none doing more than their fair share of work) at the same time and with balance and EVF, I got this sensation that a balloon would fit nicely tucked under my "pulling" arm and it would pop as I finished my pull "or hold" portion of my stroke.
I was able to get this sensation and swim 2 full minutes faster in my normal mile swim than the previous week. I did this without burning very much more energy or raising my heart rate up significantly higher either.
I would appreciate anyone else's comment on this idea. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2008

madvet
Default Popping

I have been working with this also. But I notice on the previews of the open water video, Terry does not seem to do this that I can see, in other words I see no real pressure exerted by the shoulder at the beginning of the pull. Maybe he is, but I don't see it.